The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Ghel View Post
    The head teller was just telling us that the Fed (Federal Reserve Bank) is limiting how much coin we can order. Like most banks, we get cash deliveries once a week via an armored car service. We don't even order that much. (I won't get into specifics due to safety concerns, even though I'm largely anonymous here.) But however much the head teller ordered, she got a response that she couldn't order that much. And just coin, too. Not paper money. So she's been warning customers (especially business customers who normally order a large amount of rolled coin) that she might have to limit how much coin we give out. Apparently the Fed didn't actually give a reason, but we suspect it's due to pandemic-related restrictions.
    I guess I won't be ordering any cent boxes to hunt for wheaties, or Canadian cents.
    Bummer.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      Our state started having the highest daily numbers since the beginning, and as of tomorrow masks are required in public places. We have to wear them at work, too. Now I'm a big fan of masks, don't misunderstand. But it's a commercial bakery going into summer. It's really physical work next to ovens and hot racks. We're going to have a hard time of it.
      Maybe a plastic face shield instead? I can breathe more comfortably with one and I think non-porous plastic covering my WHOLE face is probably more effective than a porous mask. Also, my glasses don't fog up, even if I try.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
        Maybe a plastic face shield instead? I can breathe more comfortably with one and I think non-porous plastic covering my WHOLE face is probably more effective than a porous mask. Also, my glasses don't fog up, even if I try.
        That's a good idea, I'm going to ask about it. Because I know other CWs are going to throw fits, some haven't worn a mask at work even one time. Don't get me started on that, since it's been a requirement for some time but there's always been the loophole of "proximity" and they claim to be far enough apart from other people. Now I believe that loophole is gone, we work with food and are required to wear masks, end of story.

Oh, I was going to mention that yeast has been sold out for months but the last couple times I've been at the store I found fresh yeast in the refrigerated section. I'm not baking bread, I just check out of curiosity. It's so interesting to me how bread baking got popular. I'm one person in my apartment, if I baked bread I'd gain a hundred pounds.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

... if I baked bread I'd gain a hundred pounds.
          ... or a hundred friends!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
            ... Apparently the Fed didn't actually give a reason, but we suspect it's due to pandemic-related restrictions.
            It's been in the news that there is a coin shortage due to people staying at home and not shopping. Also not using coin star machines in stores and banks.

The Latest Pandemic Shortage: Coins Are The New Toilet Paper
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's really physical work next to ovens and hot racks. We're going to have a hard time of it.
              I will be good...I must be good... and not make any comments about hot racks and having a hard time....
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Finally returning to work on Monday. Masks are mandated in public or group spaces in the building, and my employer actually sent a mask. Plan on coming with three options-- a neck gaiter like I've been favoring since this whole thing started, a cloth surgical-style face mask from a set my mom gave me, and the one that my employer sent me. Once I know what is approved, I'll stick with that type.

It's been just over three months since I last went to work. I've been getting paid, but the stir-craziness of being stuck at home will finally abate.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• There was a note at work about the coin shortage and if anyone had any at home to turn in for folding money it would be greatly appreciated.

We got word that the walk-in clinic in our store is opening back up on Monday. They won't be doing any Covid testing or even handling any upper respiratory cases. Thankfully, there hasn't been a huge outbreak where I am. So fingers crossed that a small amount of sick dumbasses come in. I still have a small sliver of hope in humanity.
                  I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• I Went to the ER Tonight and Ended Up Getting a Covid Test: a saga. I have a jacked-up spine and the past couple of days my thoracic has been spasming, causing chest pain that feels like a muscle sprain. It's likely what's causing some difficult breathing at times but that coupled with a sore throat was giving me pause a couple of days ago. I was getting concerned, especially considering my coworker has Covid, confirmed, and that in April I had some violent chills one night. But the post-nasal drip responded very well to the allergy meds and the spasming responded well to the medications I have for it. I didn't take anything from Friday afternoon until Saturday afternoon (yesterday) when I went grocery shopping. I wasn't having enough discomfort to take anything and because of risk to my kidneys, I take as little as possible. So I went to the store un-medicated.

Now, because many refuse to wear masks, the grocery store is stressful for me. And I'd already been through that at the side retail job all afternoon. My spine right at the center of my chest, which is already problematic this week, started to tighten up and my heart beat faster. OK, that is not the first time. I can usually handle it. But then I got a weird pressure and indigestion. Those are classic heart attack symptoms for a woman so eventually I decided to go to the ER to rule out heart problems. I took an anti-spasmodic first and because I was still unsure, decided that if it worked, I wouldn't go in. Well, I went in anyway. It did start to work while I was in and the discomfort went away. I felt fine. EKG and enzyme test and all that: normal. They still want me to have a stress test and work-up.

Anyway, they asked me several times about shortness of breath which is a heart attack symptom but of course a Covid one as well. I have been having a tiny amount of that which could be attributed to bad allergies I've been having, the spasms, or maybe a heart issue. The P.A. asked if I wanted a Covid test and I said yes because of my coworker, the chills I'd had, the constant runny nose (heard that can be an atypical symptom.) So I had to have it done twice because something got messed up in the labelling on the first one. The nurse was so apologetic and I was good-natured about it because with all my body does to me on a daily basis, 5 seconds of minor agony is not a huge deal. Not pleasant, but not the most terrible thing.

So yay, don't have to work Monday night because I should quarantine until I get the results. I'm working the main job from home, so no problem there. But I'm not sure what to do if I am home for three days, find out I have a case, albeit mild, and then have to quarantine for two weeks. I didn't buy enough groceries for that long. Well, I am one who doesn't like to ask for help so it would be a good time to practice humility and ask my friends.
                    I kind of hope I do have it, though, because if I do it's mild and would make some of my coworkers think twice about how they interact with people, maybe. And I hope I'd have at least some immunity. But mild symptoms can go bad easily so I'm torn about that. I do suspect I don't have it and it's just allergy to tree pollen. There is a HUGE tree outside my porch.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I'm going in for a test this morning, in prep for a sleep study, as their center has re-opened. As a (non-insulin dependent) diabetic, I can't afford to get this thing, both literally and figuratively. x.x So, uh, wish me luck
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Trust me, if you find that you have it, you immediately realize that you don't want it. I should know.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                          As a (non-insulin dependent) diabetic, I can't afford to get this thing, both literally and figuratively. x.x So, uh, wish me luck
                          Good luck!

Kristev,
                          You too. Take care of yourself.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Good luck with your tests and recovery.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            It's been in the news that there is a coin shortage due to people staying at home and not shopping. Also not using coin star machines in stores and banks.
                            Quoth Trixie View Post
                            There was a note at work about the coin shortage and if anyone had any at home to turn in for folding money it would be greatly appreciated.
                            Huh, I guess that makes sense. Now that I think about it, while our lobby was closed, we couldn't take in coin, and now that we're open, we've still had very few people bringing in loose coin. Multiply that by however many banks, coinstars, etc. and it makes sense there's a coin shortage.

ETA: When the manager of one of the gas stations came in for his change order this morning, he got in a heated argument with the tellers about them limiting the coin he could have. They handled it ably, though.
                            Last edited by Ghel; 06-29-2020, 03:18 PM.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Came back neg. *whew*
                              Quoth Kristev View Post
                              Trust me, if you find that you have it, you immediately realize that you don't want it. I should know.
                              I don't like the sound of that >_> If it means what I think it means, may you get through it as swiftly and easily as possible, with a minimum of fuss.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• In UK, I've had to isolate twice, when the PM first announced our lockdown, my mum went to the hospital with a fever, and they kept her in for a week, apparently she had it, fine now though, couple of weeks ago, going outside for my break, got a call from home, you need to come home and isolate now, spoke to my boss, she was fine with it, make sure to have a test, luckily both me and mum are covid free
                                Last edited by SimonF12009; 06-29-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X