X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcus
    replied
    As someone that walked around downtown Boston in the middle of February I can say this... It's a beautiful place full of history, but go walking when it's a little warmer. I do recommend going to The Green Dragon Tavern for a drink/meal. It's a fun little place full of history. It's been open since 1654 and played a part in the War of Independence.

Leave a comment:

• Food Lady
    replied
    Aw, I'm sorry. It's getting so frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• Cai1987
    replied
    I'm vaccinated and boosted. I recently relocated to a rented room in Boston - the rest of my household is staying back until the end of the school year, but my new job wanted me now. Well, guess what? I was here 2 days - hadn't even made it into the office yet - when my new roommate got sick, followed by me getting sick. Since I'm vaxxed, I figured it was just a head cold but stayed home anyway. Nope, roomie tested positive; I didn't test (no way to get to a testing place without using public transit) but I can't imagine I am not also positive since we had the same symptoms.

Everyone I know keeps asking me "how's Boston?" I don't know, I haven't left my room in a week!

Leave a comment:

• Arcus
    replied
    It still managed to infect 500 million people and kill 17-50 million people, and possibly as high as 100 million (wartime news suppression makes the true numbers hard to calculate.) First known case was on a military base in Kansas and troops from that base carried it to Europe where it was passed to troops from many countries and they carried it home as the war was ending.

'fun' fact: the strain of flu from the 1918 pandemic is still around and is one of those that is common.
    Last edited by Arcus; 01-13-2022, 04:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Monterey Jack
    replied
    Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

The thing about that is back in 1918 people were way more reasonable and rational regarding public health. Today, not so much.
    Not to mention that the total world population was less than HALF of what it is today. Less people + the difficulties of traveling from one continent to another = disease was harder to spread.

Leave a comment:

• Arcus
    replied
    Sadly, the most deaths from the 1918 pandemic were in the second wave because so many people were tired of wearing masks and staying home if they didn't need to go out

Leave a comment:

• Argus
    replied

The thing about that is back in 1918 people were way more reasonable and rational regarding public health.
    Except for the ones who weren't.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-M..._San_Francisco

Leave a comment:

• csquared
    replied

The thing about that is back in 1918 people were way more reasonable and rational regarding public health. Today, not so much.
    Thank you Social Media.

Leave a comment:

• Ironclad Alibi
    replied
    Quoth Food Lady View Post
    ... I keep telling myself that society survived the 1918 flu so we can survive this virus. ...

Leave a comment:

• Food Lady
    replied
    It is sad what's happening to businesses. I keep telling myself that society survived the 1918 flu so we can survive this virus. I think it'll just take a bit of sacrifice, just as every other world problem does. I'm thinking of the world wars and other events. I think selflessness goes a looooong way in helping in these situations. It's frustrating but I feel sad and hopeful at the same time. I'd like to be interviewed about this in old age, actually--by a high school student doing a project, when the crisis is long gone and we've come through.

Leave a comment:

• csquared
    replied
    Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I don't know how her company is allowing that.
    I saw a news article. I'll post a link if I can find it again.
    Some hospitals (Los Angles & in Arizona, IIRC) have been so devastated by Omicon that are allowing employees who have tested positive, to return to work if they have no or mild symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamstalker
    replied
    I'm apparently personally responsible for most of the shortages in the store. The morning orders can be filled generally as requested, but as the day goes on it's harder to even find substitutes. I've taken to stashing a few dozen eggs in my coolers first thing in the morning if later orders need them. SCs are starting to examine my cart and I've caught more than one trying to remove items Either people try to take stuff, or they think I'm stocking the shelves.

I had to pull major OT last week due to the only 3 crosstrained shoppers calling out at once; AM did get SM to approve any OT that I work. We're not sure whether any sick calls are actually Covid-related or if people just see that as an acceptable excuse to not face the public (that I can actually understand--while my department has far less direct SC contact than the rest we do deal with the occasional morons). My store does not require any sort of proof (positive test, exposure, etc) and assumes that self-monitoring/self-reporting is actually going to work. Folks have been coming to work with confirmed Covid--they've told someone!--and not sent home because a manager didn't directly overhear it.

I've been quietly encouraging any customers who complain about the maskless SCs to go to Corporate--I've reminded the store manager numerous times about the town/state mask mandate (FFS there's a giant sign out front that the company made) and been met with a decent amount of indifference...I think they expect us grunts to enforce it. Hell to the no, I'm not trying to confront the crazy.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-12-2022, 01:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Food Lady
    replied
    Did I post in here? My coworker's kids have it. They are home and he works from home. His wife has it too and has been going to work anyway. I don't know how her company is allowing that. He thinks that it's a different thing than a cold or that it's not as serious as it is, or both. I'm not sure. He made a comment in our online meeting. I just know he's totally annoyed that his kids are not in school but he's keeping them home because school policy is forcing him to.

Leave a comment:

• Nunavut Pants
    replied
    I have a friend who has a sister whose family just came down with COVID. Well, not quite all of them. There are 9 of them in the household, and 7 of them came down with it. I'll let you guess how many of them were vaccinated....

If you said "two of them", you win a prize! A fabulous hunk of NOTHING!

Leave a comment:

• csquared
    replied
    In the last two weeks, two of my coworkers have caught Covid. Came in via their kids
    The Wife's place of employment has at least 6 people out with Covid. One of whom we saw Christmas Eve. We tested negative.

Interesting stats: Half of NYC COVID hospitalized patients were admitted for other reasons. Superspreaders on the loose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X