This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kara View Post
    What really got me to the point where I could realistically consider the possibility that I could be published was this book by Stephen King.
    I have that book! I really enjoy reading it, not just because King has good advice but also the way he writes about it is...hysterical. As in, awesomely hysterical.

But the frustration is part of the writing process, it comes with the territory.
    I know frustration. Both the writing-related and non-related kind. As far as the writing goes, I can deal. I've had plenty of blocked times where the words just won't come and the inspiration isn't there. I've also had plenty of great times where I'm on fire and it just flows.

Many writers keep their regular jobs, not everyone can make a living writing. Most importantly, enjoy it. Even if it doesn't get anywhere, I find so much fulfillment in writing the last page and completing a story.
    I do enjoy it. I'm very proud of the fanfiction I've written in the past several years. Yeah, I know fanfiction isn't the same as regular fiction. However, it was through writing fanfiction that I came to realize I really liked writing and creating stories, and, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think they're damn good stories.

The thing is, I don't want a regular job. I can't handle a regular job. I've spent the last 15 or so years slugging it out at regular jobs and never gotten anywhere other than miserable. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. I've pretty much proven that. It's time for me to follow a long-held dream. Because if I don't do it now, I never will, and it's my last chance at being able to thrive, not just survive, in this world. I'm out of options at this point.

I don't expect to make a gajillion dollars or be the next Stephen King or Dr. Maya Angelou or whatever. I'll never live in a mansion or drive expensive cars; I don't need those things. I want to make a living doing something I genuinely enjoy that has actual meaning that isn't going to suck the life and soul out of me on a regular basis.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
    X