X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo presents, How To Be a SC

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/money...pg=93#comments

I read a few of the comments on this article, and all of the ones I read states that these are stuipid stuipid ideas to save money. Plus you get to be a SC as a free bonus.
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-08-2008, 01:24 AM. Reason: copyright. Don't c/p the whole article.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

I agree with the comments. THe guy is obviously
    Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
    I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

*sighs* Edited to delete what I wrote before...

In one place I lived there were LOTS of BYOB. At some of the fancier places here there is a BYOB option. They just charge you for cork and for the glasses. Still less then what they charge for their own bottles however.
      Last edited by Aethian; 11-07-2008, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Actually it's a chick, and by the title of her book You're So Money: Live Rich Even When You're Not She seems to be trying to train a whole generation of SC's to live outside their means by being even more of a douche.
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Heh. I saw that article and immediately wondered what the good folks of CS would have to say about it.

The only suggestion I see any merit to is to order an appetizer as your meal. But then, I really don't eat that much, so I usually do that anyway. If I do order a full meal, I usually end up taking half of it home, but I don't ask the server to box it ahead of time*.

*With the one exception of Cheesecake Factory. I usually order my dessert to go.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Around here a lot of places have a BYO license for wine. Corkage can vary from $2-$15 a glass depending on the restaurant.

The cheapest corkage I know of is 50 cents, in a place that's run by Muslims who believe that just because they can't sell alcohol is no reason for non-Muslims to be deprived if they want to drink... too bad I don't really like traditional Middle Eastern food or I'd eat there all the time.

Comment

I like how it says to spend in cash for the tip since you won't really spend the 15-20%, but if you're friendly with the bartender, he'll give you free drinks!

I've had free drinks given to me only a few times (I Never expect it) but thats because I always tipped her like, 20 dollars on a 50 for 6 or 7 drinks. They really appreciate that, not the cheap asses

Comment

Quoth flippin' idiot
                Dining out can get expensive -- especially when you have five mouths to feed. But a family's got to eat!
                Then cook your own food at home. It costs way less.

Quoth some moron
                Pick up a bottle of wine at a liquor store before heading to dinner and you could save up to 100 percent of the restaurant's price on the bottle. Restaurants often mark up wine by over 100 percent. (Note: Some establishments may charge a "corkage fee," usually around $10-$15, for allowing you to bring in your own vino -- but in most cases, you'll still save.)
                Anybody who has to bring their own bottle of wine to a restaurant that serves wine is either a poseur or mind-numbingly cheap

I didn't even know restaurants allowed you to bring in your own bottle of wine

Quoth stupid bitch
                Even if appetizer portions of entrees aren't listed on the menu, restaurants may prepare them for customers. The bonus: These portions are sometimes nearly as large as the entrée plate, but a fraction of the price.
                I'd rather have a well-rounded meal myself.

Quoth asshat
                Get two dinners for one price. When ordering, ask your server to pack half your plate in a doggy bag before serving you the other half. You'll have a meal to eat at home tomorrow -- and you won't be tempted to overeat today.
                And then when you end up with the dreaded Hair In Your Food, raise hell and get freebies!

Quoth insufferable cretin
                Make friends with the bartender. Freebies go to those who are friendly.
                Because the bartenders are always willing to put their jobs at risk by shoveling out free shit to anybody who becomes their "friend"

Quoth Nyoibo
                Actually it's a chick, and by the title of her book You're So Money: Live Rich Even When You're Not
                Why do we have to do that?

Betcha she's one of those who buys some fancy expensive outfit someplace, wears it out one night, and returns the whole thing--top, pants or skirt, shoes, everything. She's a master of the lint brush and tapes up her shoes so they don't become scuffed and thus ineligible for a return.

Yawn, another cuntmuffin "financial expert" heard from who's sole experience with the service industry must be screaming some poor wage slave to tears for some insignificant thing. I am now dumber for having read this glob of drivel. I award her no points, and may God have mercy on her soul.

Additionally, I sentence her to a lifetime of server duty in a restaurant where all her customers let their bratty kids run loose, complain about petty little things like getting 37 french fries instead of an even 40, and stiff her on the tip.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wow.. That is the worst thing I've read in a while..
                  I seriously hope no one listens to that horrible advice.
                  whohatesshrimp?

Comment

Heh, I waited a bit before posting, I knew it'd be moved to Check it Out.

But, am I alone in seeing this as no big deal unless the customer turns it into one? (SCs will be SCs, regardless of BYOB, Pre-emptive doggy-bagging, etc.)

'bout the only one I see a problem with is the Pay in Cash one. If the author's advocating paying just the tip in cash and leaving only a buck or two regardless of bill, then yeah, that is sucky. I know, odd coming from me, the one who considers the bill last when figuring up a tip. If what she's really saying is, "pay cash so you'll buy less drinks," then that is not sucky.

BYOB, the author should've warned readers to be prepared for no-outside-drinks and corkage fee possibilities, and suggested calling ahead to ask about it.

Order an Appetizer? Sorry, but America (in general) is fat. This is good advice: eat less.

Make Your Meal Last: As long as the customer doesn't get sucky about it, (and again, SCs will be SCs, regardless) what's the big deal? Sounds like something a weight loss adviser might suggest.

The way I see it, SCs will have a couple new ideas to try, but they were going to be SCs anyway. Those who aren't SCs will just ask, and either be happier, or accept it either way.

I just don't see this piece as nearly so inflammatory as say, that one that was expecting waitstaff to essentially read her mind. (Ah, here it is: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34129 )
                    Last edited by otakuneko; 11-08-2008, 02:01 AM.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Then cook your own food at home. It costs way less.

Anybody who has to bring their own bottle of wine to a restaurant that serves wine is either a poseur or mind-numbingly cheap

I didn't even know restaurants allowed you to bring in your own bottle of wine

The way I see it, most restaurants will serve a good house wine for 20-30 bucks a bottle. that extra 15 dollars for their surcharge (because its kind of like a movie theater - don't bring in outside food) will actually make it even more expensive anyways. AND, if you bother to bring in a good wine thats at least 100$ a bottle, then either you're stupid for eating out on a budget or you have that much money to begin with. Sorry, this article just seems so contradictory one point after the other.

Comment

The "fake it with takeout" article that's linked to is amusing. For one, the takeout food required would probably be more expensive/a hassle than any alternative (notably the mini-pizzas). At least when we get takeout, nobody gives a fig how it's presented come chow time, just that it's hot.

Secondly, they're advocating defiling Peking duck! Using the leftovers is fine, but for the love of cheese why would you order one just for that? (a duck breast is probably cheaper...wait, then you'd have to actually cook it).
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

This is in response to why would people bring their own wine to a restaurant. It's as simple as having a favorite that's not on the wine list. I work in a hotel with a small reataurant attached to it and I've had several people call and ask if they can bring their own wine. For one couple it was an anniversary and the wine they brought had been from their wedding. They had purchased several cases of it and decided to save the unused ones for future anniversaries.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post

Order an Appetizer? Sorry, but America (in general) is fat. This is good advice: eat less.

Make Your Meal Last: As long as the customer doesn't get sucky about it, (and again, SCs will be SCs, regardless) what's the big deal? Sounds like something a weight loss adviser might suggest.
                            oh yes... both of those are great advice on how to cut calories and lose weight... but that was an article on how to save money and it is a terrible way to save money... really want to save money, either eat at home or go to a cheaper restaurant.
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

You know, I don't understand the big deal about wines. My favorite wine is a Concord sweet red wine from Stone Hill winery in Missouri. It runs from $6-8 per bottle, and it is very tasty. No sense in throwing down $50 or more for a beverage, IMO.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X