This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why people hate couponers

I had a woman yesterday who had our store coupon, it is good for a % off ONE SINGLE ITEM it says that loud and clear 3 times on the coupon.

She wanted the % off her entire order (our managers have to override that) so after explaining the policy and her gettnig all nasty about "how petty I was being" I told her I could get a manager and she could talk to them about it as it wasn't my policy but our stores.

The manager wouldn't allow it of course and she brought up that last time she was in she had basically thrown a hissy fit and they had made a "one time exception" so why wouldn't we make that exception again today.

The manager was like "yes, they said one time exception, as in you can have the discount that ONE time, not every single time"

then she tells us she is putting back all but one item and we say "okay" and she stops for a couple of seconds, realises we are not going to beg her to buy her other items and then of course says she will take them....

THEN she says she is never shopping at our store again and the manager still doesn't bend

then she says "I live in X place" and we don't even get your mailer coupons and the manager says "Im not sure what that has to do with the use of this coupon?" and she goes on his huge rant about how far away this place is (20 minutes drive from our store) and how could we expect to come ALL THE WAY OUT HERE but lets it slip she works at the hospital 4 blocks from our store....

she stood there for over twenty minutes trying every sucky trick in the book, she told us both we were going to be fired, she was going to complain about how rude we had been, how she was NEVER shopping here again, how she made a speical trip (she was in her hospital scrubs) how they had made an exception before, how she wouldn't buy the item, we were giving her TERRRIBLE service, how she could and would go to the competition down the road, how she would tell ALL of her friends and family how we had treated her

the best part was this was over and 80 cent discount, that's what the discount would have been if the manager allowed it
    he told me afterwards if she hadn't attacked us personally he would have okay'd it but he won't reward a nasty attitude like that

AND she was buying a shower radio for a birthday gift..... a crappy $15 shower radio and batteries for it GREEEEAT gift there

I wanted to hug him for not giving in, she turned nasty the second she realised she wasn't getting her way and got worse and worse. Usually our store will cave but this time the manager didn't. I was so happy about that!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Eh, I wouldn't consider her to be a couponer, but that might be just me, lol. It's just one % off store coupon. Just seems like a bitchy deal-seeking woman trying to get her way.

Also, I love when SCs threaten to put stuff back or not buy. I just agree with them and start moving their shit. Their facial expressions are fun to watch

Comment

I like your manager, wish there were more like him.

Comment

Oh, what a nightmare.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
          I like your manager, wish there were more like him.
          Yeah, kudos to your manager for stopping the SC in her tracks. If your store usually does cave ... is there a chance your manager will get into trouble for his stand?

Comment

And she is a perfect example why you DON'T make exceptions, do it once and they expect it forever.

Comment

I'm a couponer, but I would never do that. In fact, I received a coupon from a company to replace a defective item. It was for any item in a higher level line of facial care items. I actually took the item and the coupon to the service desk, told them that if they didn't think they'd get reimbursed to not take it, I could live without it. They verified everything, got it cleared, and we were all happy.

That SC was a whiny pain in the ass because she'd been rewarded for that bad behavior before. Cashiers should be allowed to keep rolled up newspapers and smack SCs on the nose when they act like this.*

*I would never do that to a non-human animal (except creepy crawlies). Humans should know better, but if they don't they need to be trained.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I would have stood right next to her and had her point out where it reads "x% off the entire order" and also where it says "this coupon may be reused", as well as, "Can be overridden by a manager as a one-time courtesy", then remained standing by her as she shook in her boots.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  And she is a perfect example why you DON'T make exceptions, do it once and they expect it forever.
                  Which is why I don't. If a manager want's to and keep the SC "happy," they can and let it come back to haunt them again, and again, and again.

Comment

I wish my store didn't make exceptions sometimes but in all honestly it does make it easier when we hold to one policy, never fold or always fold. I really don't care if they get the discount or not, I could just do without the pissy attitude towards ME!

Usually if the policy says no I call a manager and they fold and the customer is happy, gets out of my face and on to the next one, get the bitch outta my face is really all it comes down to for me now.
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Your manager rocks. The SC even freely admitted that the words "ONE TIME" before the word "exception" mean nothing to her, if you did it once the gods say you have to do it again or blargety blargety blargle. Glad he didn't cave. I agree, though...there are times when it really is easier on everyone to just give the customer what they want and be done with them...but often we do this only when we're pretty damn sure they mean it when they say they're done with us for good. You can usually tell when someone means that and when they're just saying it for effect.
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Had a similar situation in my store last night. I wasn't the cashier involved, but heard about it today.

Couponer comes up to the register with 45 (yes they were counted!) individual Chapsticks. She has, count 'em, 45 $1 off coupons for said Chapsticks. All well and good you say? Well, here's the thing, we have Chapsticks on sale for 99 cents. So she wants to buy these 45 Chapsticks and not only get them free, but get a penny back on each one. Cashier denies it, manager on duty (MOD) is called.

But Teefies2, you say, it's only a total of 45 cents! Yes, however, store policy is that you cannot use a coupon that is more than the price of the item, not to mention that in this state you have to pay the tax on any item you get free. Cue ::catbuttface:: and much yelling!!!!!!!!!! MOD denied her request/demand and then went the extra mile of calling the store manager at home to verify that she did the right thing. Gasp, he said she did!

Of course, Couponer is "NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, right!

Comment

Lol, Teefies2, I bet you she'll just go to Walmart, pricematch and get her overage, too. Walmart has zero problems with that.

Most stores just reduce the coupon to the sale price and pocket the difference themselves, and a couple won't do it at all. Around here, anyway.

But yeah, definitely have to pay taxes.

Comment

Exactly Slayer. And I used to work for Walmart, drove me crazy to see people do this!

Comment

That SC was a whiny pain in the ass because she'd been rewarded for that bad behavior before. Cashiers should be allowed to keep rolled up newspapers and smack SCs on the nose when they act like this.*

I'd love to be able to do this but it doesn't fit in with Fast, Fun and Friendly where I work. Though it would be fun for me.
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X