Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The bookstore: a breeding ground for idiots!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
    And you didn't know that's how Wells wrote it? Oi. The ending's fine, people.
    The ending's how he wrote it, but come on, killed by germs? Realistic, yes. How most people want a climactic struggle to end? No.

Thus ends my impersonation of people who whined to me about the movie. Carry on.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
      I have a friend who works in a Borders and she had one gripe when The War of The Worlds was a movie (Spielberg). They were doing a promotion on the book when two teenage girls look at the display and ask "That movie is based off a book?" "There's no way it can be!"

And yes A Child Called It is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read.
      The sad part is that I believe it since I saw the same thing with the Lord of the Rings novels...
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        My first thought was of the movie with Christina Ricci, about the female serial killer. It was based off live interviews, not a book, though.
        Charlize Theron was the one who played the lead in that movie. Was Christina Ricci in it too? I don't remember. All I remember is all this media attention about how Charlize Theron went from absolutely gorgeous to this disgusting woman just through the "power of make-up".

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone View Post
          Aw, man, I'm such a dummy. I'll go stand in the corner now...
          Aww. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Come on out of the corner now.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I knew staff when I worked at Borders who had English degrees and were hoping to have nice, intelligent customers to discuss literatrure with. Er no. Still the usual SC's!
            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Oh wow. Poor poor english majors

I have a philosophy degree, a poli sci degree, and an MA in poli sci focus on post-disaster cooperation. I work in a bookstore and pray nightly for a combination volcano, earthquake, flood, and and hurricane.

So far God has spurned me

Rb

Comment

Don't be surprised, it's probably happening at some bookstore somewhere!
                mine. three times. that we've seen anyway. lord knows what goes on in the bathroom. there's a lot of..."solo action" too, if you know what i mean.
                Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

GJI: It's about the mama beating up on her kid!
                  Not having heard of the other book(s) mentioned, I automatically thought of "Cages of Glass, Flowers of Time".

That book STILL makes me cry.

I wonder if my sister wants it back...
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                    Charlize Theron was the one who played the lead in that movie. Was Christina Ricci in it too? I don't remember. All I remember is all this media attention about how Charlize Theron went from absolutely gorgeous to this disgusting woman just through the "power of make-up".
                    Thank you. Yes, Ricci played the other woman involved. I blanked on Theron's name for a minute so I grabbed the other name I remembered from the cover.

Also, Theron didn't just do makeup. She deliberately gained weight for the part.

I'm saddened that I haven't worked in Blockbuster for years and I still remember this trivia off the top of my head.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I just saw on CNNs Headline News that a new Bond book, authorized by the copyright holder has just been released.

Comment

Monster was the true story of Aileen Wournos, who killed five men she claimed tried to rape her. Christina Ricci (with about 30 extra pounds) played her girlfriend, who eventually turned state's witness and helped the police. Wournos was executed by Florida, and I feel Charlize deserves an oscar for her prformance.

Comment

People are breeding in the book stores? I should go there more often!
                          But they're not going to be people you'd want to *watch*, much less breed with...
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post

And yes A Child Called It is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read.
                            Ever read the book that the movie Sleepers is based on? That actually still disturbs me, even several years after reading it for the first time. And every time I do read it, it still makes me cry... and not many books do that.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

People always assume that bookstores are breeding ground for intellectuals. Boy they couldn't be more wrong...

SC: What's Ernest Hemingway's latest book?
                              Me: (Ready to gnaw my arm off in feral disgust, as Hemingway has been dead since 1961)
                              The Garden of Eden (1986) Some relative probably found a manuscript in a drawer, but it his his latest.

SC: Do you have the latest James Bond book in the series?
                              Me: You mean the last?
                              SC: The latest.
                              Me: (Again disgusted, as Ian Fleming is also long since deceased!!)
                              Yes, but whoever owns his copyrights has licensed the character to others, so new bond stories have been written continously since his death.

Stupid teenager: Ummm, I'm looking for, um, Moby Dick, by... Dickens?

(Moby Dick was written by Herman Melville, you moron!!)
                              I can't excuse this one.

Ghetto junior idiot: I'm looking for this book!
                              Me: Okay, what's it called?
                              GJI: I don't know!
                              Me: Who's the author?
                              GJI: It's about the mama beating up on her kid!
                              (I was beating myself up over this potentially nonexistent book and the kid eventually left).
                              A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer.
                              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone
                                People always assume that bookstores are breeding ground for intellectuals. Boy they couldn't be more wrong...

SC: What's Ernest Hemingway's latest book?
                                Me: (Ready to gnaw my arm off in feral disgust, as Hemingway has been dead since 1961)

The Garden of Eden (1986) Some relative probably found a manuscript in a drawer, but it his his latest.
                                Dammit, my ignorance rears its ugly head once more! I was feeling pissier than usual when I posted this, so I needed something to gripe about.
                                "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Working...
                                X