This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angry clearance lady

note: I didn't know I typed this much...sorry for the length.

Short version: lady gets nasty because she can't get some valances for the prices that she wanted.

long version:

I'm a bit puzzled, still from this lady. I tried everything for her, but I'm not a manager so my hands were tied. She refused to speak to one, too.

Okay, so I'm wandering through home fashions and it's about a half hour before I went home for the day. It's Friday, so I was in that "omg, no work please" mood. Cashier flags me down and I went over to help.

Lady is buying lots of clearance. Hooray! But there's a problem with one! Maybe!

She is buying some NASCAR kids' bedding. They are all on clearance and at fairly good prices, about 75% off original prices. There were two NASCAR print valances that didn't match the comforter she was buying. The valances weren't clearance, but in "D" status--that is--they were in a discontinued state at $14.99. Regular price was like 19.99. Since they were D status they were put into the clrx section.

The curtains that went with the NASCAR comforter she was buying were $4.97. She wanted the valances for the same price. These are two different patterns/collections. Okay, I got what she was saying...It's in the clearance section so why doesn't it have a pink ticket? Well, I tell her that it's in a discontinued state and hasn't exactly rolled to clearance. It'll just stay 14.99 until it happens. These are two different collections so one collection's prices are different.

Well, the lady didn't like my explanation. She really wanted that cheap price. It didn't help the fact that you could tell part of a pink clearance ticket used to be there but someone took it off because they marked it incorrectly. She was saying, "it probably used to be that price but someone took it off." No. 97 percent of the time when something goes clearance, it stays clearance. Tags are only removed if it was marked incorrectly.

I excuse myself and run to ask a manager about it. She tells me to give her the first markdown price of the item, typically 50% off. So I tell the lady that I'll give it to her for $9.99. Oh, she doesn't like that either.

THEN. She murmured that I and everyone else were clueless as I was inspecting the package. And I swear to god above, that she called me a douche. I'm sure that's what I heard her say. I sort of give her a "WTF?" look and dismiss it because I was finding her attitude a bit laughable.

I excuse myself again as the cashier was ringing up the other items and after the customer said she didn't want them anymore. I was taking the valances to the other clearance section to see if I could find anything else like it.

She says then, "HEY, it came from over here!" in a real nasty tone and I said, "Yeah, I know, I'm looking over here for something else."

A few minutes pass and my search is fruitless. I go back up to the cash wrap and the lady is still there. Ugh.

She asks to see the valances again so I hand them over. Then she goes into this tirade about how if it was Macy's she'd get it for 4.97. If it was Macy's, they wouldn't do this to her. She mentions she was from NJ and the cashier (still trying to be nice) said, "that's neat. It's nice up there." And lady says, "yeah, I know. I'm going to stick to shopping just there! I can't wait to go back!" It figures that she was a tourist. Man, I've been getting some nasty mean tourists lately. Usually tourists are pretty nice. I don't know what's up.

She tries again to get me to lower the price and I offer to get her a manager but she refuses! I don't know why she kept refusing! I told her my hands were tied and I can only do what my manager said and she said, "yeah I know." But if she knew, why the HELL did she keep treating the cashier and I like dirt?!

She gave up a second time and mutters things more and begins to leave with her purchased items.

Now, our descending escalator is broken and has been for some time (a rant for another thread). There's a sign that says "elevator behind refridgerators." Lady walks a bit, READS the sign and then turns around again...The cashier and I have already moved onto other customers. Lady yells, "HELLO?!" I don't know why, but neither of us answered...I guess because we both don't answer to that sort of thing.

"HELLO? HOW DO I GET DOWN?!"

Then I say, "Behind refridgerators, that way" and point to it.

And she was gone...and life was better.

Better still, I brought the valances to a different manager, explain the fiasco with the customer...he says the other manager made an okay call, but then he tells me he'll mark them down to like a dollar each to move them out the door. I probably still had time to go get that lady and tell her, but I didn't because I didn't think she deserved it (hell, she probably would have been like, "see, I told you so!" or something childish like that and not even be grateful. She was that type of lady.)

I do everything I can to keep my customers happy, but be rude to me and you won't get anything.
    Last edited by Rine; 06-13-2008, 09:34 PM.

Quoth Rine View Post
    Now, our descending escalator is broken and has been for some time (a rant for another thread).

"An escalator can never be broken, it's just temporarily stairs, so they should put up a sign that says "escalator temporarily Stairs, sorry for the convenience." -Mitch Hedberg-Can be found here number 3 time around 7:30 in
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 06-13-2008, 10:35 PM.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Hee hee hee. I can't believe an SC would DARE refuse a manager.

I just love the irony.
      If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        "An escalator can never be broken, it's just temporarily stairs, so they should put up a sign that says "escalator temporarily Stairs, sorry for the convenience." -Mitch Hedberg-Can be found here number 3 time around 7:30 in
        Well, we kept our escalator closed because the way the stairs look...er, the groves in the stairs make for an optical illusion and confuse people and make their eyesight all wonky. People have nearly fallen or have fell using the escalator as a regular staircase. So we keep it completely closed. Hope that made sense, but thanks for the quote!

Comment

So she complained, got her item marked down further, but that still wasn't good enough? Miserable hag.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Also, escalators are spaced differently from normal stairs, so people can have a hard time walking normally on them. They are sharp on the edges, and accidents can happen. At least, that's what our store managers always said whenever the old 'broken escalators are stairs' complaint came up.
            I no longer fear HELL.
            I work in RETAIL.

Comment

And I swear to god above, that she called me a douche. I sort of give her a "WTF?" look and dismiss it because I was finding her attitude a bit laughable.
              I applaud your equanimity.

With me, those would have been the last coherent words out of her mouth.
              *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
              *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
                Also, escalators are spaced differently from normal stairs, so people can have a hard time walking normally on them. They are sharp on the edges, and accidents can happen. At least, that's what our store managers always said whenever the old 'broken escalators are stairs' complaint came up.
                If you hurt yourself walking on "differently designed" stairs that has giant poofy ramps on each side of you, you should get your complimentary camo pants and MP3 glasses in the mail shortly.
                Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                  If you hurt yourself walking on "differently designed" stairs that has giant poofy ramps on each side of you, you should get your complimentary pink camo pants and MP3 glasses in the mail shortly.
                  Fixed that for you.
                  Last edited by Ree; 06-14-2008, 12:56 PM.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    "An escalator can never be broken, it's just temporarily stairs, so they should put up a sign that says "escalator temporarily Stairs, sorry for the convenience."
                    I can never understand why people can't just walk up/down the things (if they're just broken as in stopped and not broken as in "workers inside and parts strewn all over").

Someone told me that it does become physically harder to walk up/down a stopped escalator for the reason people expect it to be moving, and have a hard time wrapping their brains around the transition to stairs...
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      Someone told me that it does become physically harder to walk up/down a stopped escalator for the reason people expect it to be moving, and have a hard time wrapping their brains around the transition to stairs...
                      When I worked at the ballpark I often got to work before the escalators were turned on, so rather than wait a thousand years for the freight elevator, I'd walk up the escalator. It is a bit weird and wonky because they flatten out at the top and bottom, so all of the stairs are not the same height and they can get weird looking when you are walking, its a little disorienting.
                      So I guess just closing them is better than the inevitable accidents that would happen when typical SCs try to do something just a little more challenging than walking up regular stairs. And you just know that nasty SC in the OP would fall on the escalator-stairs and have a huge royal fit.

Comment

Quoth Balgram View Post
                        Hee hee hee. I can't believe an SC would DARE refuse a manager.

I just love the irony.
                        Because the manager would have very likely shut her down completely and told her that she would not be getting any more discount. And she knew that. But by asking for the manager she was hoping to intimidate the OP into the markdown without involving the manager.

Yay for the OP that they don't stand for such manipulations!

Comment

That sucky lady refused a manager? That's a first since SC's always demand a manager. If it weren't for professionalism, I would've told her "If you like shopping at Macy's or in NJ so much, why didn't you go there, you miserable hag?"
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I would like to point out a few things.

First of all, this whole tirade was over FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS. I can understand wanting to save money, and even asking about what she asked about, sure, but that whole tirade? Over FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS. Take no for an answer, bitch!

Also, she seems to think that Macy's and New Jersey are superior to where she was shopping. Well, if that is the case, woman, let me ask you this: why the fuck aren't you in Macy's in New Jersey? I think I know the answer: because you're full of shit. Chances are good that in Macy's, if they had marked something to $14.99, and then dropped the price again to $9.99, and you STILL wanted another five bucks off, they would have simply and politely refused. Hell, they may have very well said from the beginning, "Sorry, they're $14.99." And that would be that.

Why, oh WHY, can I never be around as a customer when shit like this goes down?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                              Well, we kept our escalator closed because the way the stairs look...er, the groves in the stairs make for an optical illusion and confuse people and make their eyesight all wonky. People have nearly fallen or have fell using the escalator as a regular staircase. So we keep it completely closed. Hope that made sense, but thanks for the quote!

Makes sense to me...walking on a stationary escalator makes me a little dizzy...

Please don't send her back to New Jersey...
                              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-15-2008, 02:22 AM.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X