Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another piece of awesome parenting - not (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...when I was a child I was never once tempted to call the cops on my parents.... I knew what would happen the moment I did...

....death....
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
      At first I was like
      And then I was like
      I'm really not sure if I should feel shocked or just laugh.
      ...probably both reactions, in order. At first I was all "??WFTOMG?!?" [yes, I learned freakspeech], then I thought I'd laugh about it.
      Until I have a kid myself and s/he says the same to me.
      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

God, we all must have had the same parents or something. I tried the CPS line once when getting punished, and was told the same thing; they wouldn't be there fast enough.

Course, my mom might have been a LOT worse than anyone else's...forget tanned hides, folks. I mean WAY worse. Sometimes I'm lucky I'm still alive...

But that 3-year old...yowza. Reminds me of the time I was in a Gamestop and a 2-year old holding a Cars game flipped me off, and Mom thought it was just so-o-o-o cute.

Comment

You get what you give. It's been my experience that parents who swear at their own children, and talk to them like they are a piece of crap, end up with foul mouthed kids who give no respect back.

As an adult I may come out with the occasional minor swear word in front of my parents, but generally I try and curb my language around them, I call it the parent switch! As a kid, my parents rarely if ever swore in front of me, except for the occasional road rage incidents while driving with mum lol. They never, ever, swore AT me.

My cousins on the other hand, will swear like troopers in front of their parents, even TO their parents, which always leaves me with my jaw on the floor, but sadly that's just the way their parents spoke to them, and they weren't taught any better.

You can't just say, Do as I say not as I do.. you need to lead by example.. and frustrated or not that mother needs to wash out her own mouth with soap, before punishing junior severely!
          Last edited by Beckpatton; 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM. Reason: wrong smiley inserted lol
          "You're perfect yes it's true, but without meeeee you're only you!"

Comment

Quoth Beckpatton View Post
            You get what you give. It's been my experience that parents who swear at their own children, and talk to them like they are a piece of crap, end up with foul mouthed kids who give no respect back.

As an adult I may come out with the occasional minor swear word in front of my parents, but generally I try and curb my language around them, I call it the parent switch! As a kid, my parents rarely if ever swore in front of me, except for the occasional road rage incidents while driving with mum lol. They never, ever, swore AT me.

My cousins on the other hand, will swear like troopers in front of their parents, even TO their parents, which always leaves me with my jaw on the floor, but sadly that's just the way their parents spoke to them, and they weren't taught any better.

You can't just say, Do as I say not as I do.. you need to lead by example.. and frustrated or not that mother needs to wash out her own mouth with soap, before punishing junior severely!
            I swear in front of my parents now, but in moderation. I never talk with them like I do with my friends (where I can become a sailor, like whoa), but if I'm annoyed with something, I will swear. I don't drop F-bombs in front of them, though. Perhaps it does have something to do with the fact that they rarely dropped them in front of me while I was growing up. I feel that if they're not comfortable with the word, even though it's one of my favorites, I will abstain from using it in their presence. I don't feel weird about swearing in front of my parents, though. I figure that I'm 29 and have pretty much been living on my own for a decade. They treat me like the adult I am, as I have given them no reason to think otherwise as I am responsible for myself, and they can handle me using adult words.

The little kids who swear at their parents, though.... hoo boy. No. My cousin taught me to swear when we were young, and she was a bit of a wild child for a long time, but even she didn't put up with her son swearing when he was a tot. I said 'hell' in front of my mom once in middle school and was mortified, and I don't consider it to be that bad of a word. Parents who let their kids tell them to fuck off, I just don't get. The kids will grow up to be hellions and I bet the parents won't understand why
            "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
              Yesterday my wife and I stayed in town to go to a concert (Zappa Plays Zappa, awesome stuff, by the way)
              THAT makes me feel old... When Mr. Zappa Senior was on tour in the UK I saw a very young Dweezil accompanying him on a vegetable guitar!

Re: the CPS comments: The equivalent over here would be Childline - my ex tells the sproggletts that it's on speed dial if they want it...

Comment

I had a nephew raise his fist to his mother..once. Or at least once when in my presence. He hit his mother, and couldn't sit for a week after (or thereabouts at least). Now, my sister was one of those who let the kids get away with anything, so I'm surprised she didn't yell or scream at me, but at least from then on when I was around the nephew was an angel.

To be honest, the nephew was lucky it wasn't one of my parents that had seen it. My parents were never abusive (well not physically), but they wouldn't hesitate to punish either. Heh, when they busted out the Middle name, us kids prepared ourselves, because we knew we were in serious serious trouble.
                Last edited by Mytical; 11-07-2010, 03:31 AM.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Mine was 'go to your room, you can only come out when you decide to behave like a human being'.

I was actually well-behaved enough that I'd do that. Usually screaming and crying as I left, but I'd do it.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My parents wouldn't say or do a thing when I said something I wasn't supposed to. I got The Look(tm). The Look was worse than anything they could have verbally threatened me with since my imagination filled in the blanks about what could happen if I continued. All I needed was the deadly calm and soft recitation of my full name (including middle) through clenched teeth accompanied by The Look.

Though in relation to the OP it could be this new idea of making the kids realize its bad by using it on them once or twice to drive the point home that no one likes being told to go fuck off. Can we give her the benefit of the doubt (since her kids were well behaved to that point) that she was trying to teach them empathy? (I need to keep a little faith in humanity here people)
                    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Quoth Beckpatton View Post
                      Ditto. My mother doesn't swear. (Which means that on the very, VERY exceptional occasions when she really does swear, boy does everyone take notice!)
                      My father is more inclined to come out with something like 'bloody', but won't use the worst words when women and / or children are present. Once, when I was about 14, we were driving through town when another driver cut us up and nearly made Dad hit another car - Dad forgot I was in the car and dropped the F bomb.... He apologised to me.
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

If I or my siblings had ever cursed at my mother when we were little, she would have beaten us within inches of our lives. My brother cussed at her once and he couldn't sit down for awhile after that. I cuss in front of her now and she doesn't care because I am an adult. She did have a pretty foul mouth when angry but she rarely cursed at us.
                        A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
                        Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Quoth Demonpriest View Post
                          My mother's favorite is "I brought you into this world and I will take you out." I didn't threaten with the cops I said DCS and my mom got the phone book, found the number, and said, "Go ahead and call, by the time they get here, I'll be finished with you." I thought for about 2 seconds and sat down and dealt with the punishment.
                          This reminds me of a good stand up joke, story about this by Russell Peters. Its hilarious.

Listen to the whole thing its worth it but skip to about 245 if you need to.

*language/NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbc_v1xBAU
                          Last edited by 50 mission cap; 11-07-2010, 11:09 PM. Reason: NSFW warning

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
                            Though in relation to the OP it could be this new idea of making the kids realize its bad by using it on them once or twice to drive the point home that no one likes being told to go fuck off. Can we give her the benefit of the doubt (since her kids were well behaved to that point) that she was trying to teach them empathy? (I need to keep a little faith in humanity here people)
                            Hmmmmmm... yep, I understand your point, but... to a 3-year-old? Nah.
                            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Wow. Hubby and I don't swear with my parents unless we slip up, but so do my parents sometimes. We're adults and can handle it, but we don't ever use that at each other, because my mum would still beat me if I did.
                              When we were little, we would get smacked around for saying things like "stupid" and I got beat if I said "screwed." I am so glad I never swore in front of them growing up.
                              Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                              http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Working...
                              X