Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another piece of awesome parenting - not (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another piece of awesome parenting - not (language)

First of all - I try not to use foul language here but it is essential to this story so I will need to.

Yesterday my wife and I stayed in town to go to a concert (Zappa Plays Zappa, awesome stuff, by the way) and decided to treat ourselves to some dinner at a popular international chain of pizza-focused restaurants. The service was amazing, the food was good, even the bathrooms were clean. Nothing to complain about that.

We were seated at a small table somehow near the entrance of the restaurant, and at a certain point we see a pregnant woman with three small children; I'd guess that the oldest might have been 5, the second about 3 and the youngest around 1. She seems to be a little brisk, but being around town with three small children (and expecting a fourth) sure took its toll on her nerves. Still, I guess that what happened next could and should have been avoided anyway, even with all the mitigating circumstances.

So, they are seated (near where we were), proceed to pick their food (the children seem seriously well behaved too) and get what they ordered.

The middle child, the one aged around 3 (maybe a bit older) seems unhappy with his pizza and starts complaining kinda loudly and very audibly.
    Kid: "Mommy, I don't like it. Can I have another one?"
    Mom: "No, you picked it and you eat it, or ask your brother if he wants to swap"
    [fair enough until now]
    Kid: "Mommy, fuck off!" [oh-oh]
    Mom: "[Name], you can't tell me to fuck off! You fuck off!"

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Yesterday, there was a big group of loud kids playing outside of my place. They were screaming and yelling at each other, and I swear I hear the word bitch, fuck, and the N word in every sentence they used.

ugh.

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
      They would have to put his/her picture on a milk carton because suddenly I wouldnt have a kid anymore.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Sadly, I have known parents whose young kids spoke to them that way. No surprise that it's normally the parents' faults for not putting a stop to it. If my daughter spoke to me that way, I wouldn't let her out of the house for a week.

She once recently lost her laptop for the night for rolling her eyes at me when I was having a serious talk with her. You lose respect for your mama, you also lose your most prized possession..lol

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          They would have to put his/her picture on a milk carton because suddenly I wouldnt have a kid anymore.
          I am sure that would have been a proper reaction - but telling him "You fuck off"? Hmm...
          Quoth Mel View Post
          Sadly, I have known parents whose young kids spoke to them that way. No surprise that it's normally the parents' faults for not putting a stop to it. If my daughter spoke to me that way, I wouldn't let her out of the house for a week.
          She once recently lost her laptop for the night for rolling her eyes at me when I was having a serious talk with her. You lose respect for your mama, you also lose your most prized possession..
          Once I called my dad a "beast" and I was locked in my room for two days (during summer holidays). So - yes, I understand.
          FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

I told my mom I was going to call the police after she spanked me. She told me to call a coroner if I was going to bother because the police wouldnt make it there fast enough. Point made, I shut up.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
              I told my mom I was going to call the police after she spanked me. She told me to call a coroner if I was going to bother because the police wouldnt make it there fast enough. Point made, I shut up.
              I wonder if our mothers are sisters?
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

My mom would fit well in the family too.
                FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Comment

My mother's favorite is "I brought you into this world and I will take you out." I didn't threaten with the cops I said DCS and my mom got the phone book, found the number, and said, "Go ahead and call, by the time they get here, I'll be finished with you." I thought for about 2 seconds and sat down and dealt with the punishment.

Comment

Oof, if that was my mom, hell, I better get ready to run for relocation after saying something like that to her. She washed my mouth out with a bar of soap when she caught me flipping off the bird at the rollerskating mascot at the skate rink when I was a little one. ...didn't quite get that one because I didn't actually -say- anything, but got the point to watch my language there after.
                    Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

On a similar note, I was waiting for the train once and heard a mother whine back at her kids. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than swearing back at them. But I'd been listening to these kids for a while, wondering why their mom was letting them get away with complaining the way they did. (Nothing too bad, but constant enough that at their age I'd have expected them to have been told to shut up and keep themselves entertained, that's why they packed books.) When mom whined back I figured out why the kids were that bad.

As for why this would be worse than swearing - it's really teaching an attitude of "it's not my problem, I'm so put upon" etc. EWs in training. I've known some people who swear all the time, but do it in a classy manner. I've never known anyone to whine in a classy manner.

Comment

At first I was like
                        Mom: "[Name], you can't tell me to fuck off! You fuck off!"
                        And then I was like

I'm really not sure if I should feel shocked or just laugh.

Once I called my dad a "beast" and I was locked in my room for two days (during summer holidays). So - yes, I understand.
                        Hey, now! Only mommy gets to call daddy a "beast."
                        "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

That kid would've had a well tanned hide and gone home if that happened in my family.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I figure that's the first word the kids next door to me learned, because it's the one they hear most often from their mother. Usually at a volume only equaled by jet engines at takeoff.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                              Heh, my brother told my mom he was going to call cps on her if she spanked him. SHE called and told them to come get him because she was going to tear his butt up.
                              MySpace

Comment

Working...
                              X