This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lobo94 View Post
    Could have been worse...guy could have been CIA and the laptop had all sorts of classified stuff on it.
    Federal government agencies are supposed to be smarter about this. Datacenters, VPNs, and secure authentication (think smart card with password) can completely remove any risk of data loss due to an employee laptop being stolen. The thief gets a new laptop, but there's no actual data on the hard drive other than an OS and a couple apps. The important documents are on a server in a government datacenter, protected from the laptop which gets ostracized from the VPN in short order.

Of course, that's what they're supposed to do. I really doubt the CIA has somehow solved the problem of employee stupidity.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      Shelson's the new and h'improved perversion.
      But wait!! There's more!
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

UPDATE:
        SH was arrested in [major metro area 2 hours away] and the computer was retrieved. DG had to come back to the motel to find the receipt for his laptop which he left in the room to prove it was his.

Night Auditor suspects he may be paying for hookers with his laptop, and then turning around and crying that his laptop was stolen.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          Night Auditor suspects he may be paying for hookers with his laptop, and then turning around and crying that his laptop was stolen.
          I was thinking the same exact thing... He's scamming hookers. Weird.
          There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

Quoth AtDIelement View Post
            I was thinking the same exact thing... He's scamming hookers. Weird.
            I think that's very unlikely given the first post. The money he saves that way isn't really worth the huge trouble he had warning everyone he knew, going to the police, ....

It could be that he didn't have any money, and to get her out of the room gave him something else of value, only later realizing how big a stupid he made.

Comment

Some people like attention, especially negative attention. He might get off on getting to cause these sort of crises.
              EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
              ~-~
              Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post

CW: You did a stupid?
                DG: I was just trying to be nice.
                CW: Yeah, you did a stupid.
                DG:

Quoth Festival_Worker View Post
                I think that's very unlikely given the first post. The money he saves that way isn't really worth the huge trouble he had warning everyone he knew, going to the police, ....
                Well, no one said he's a SMART scammer.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post

Well, no one said he's a SMART scammer.
                  Which would be a classic oxymoron.

Sounds to me that the screwee became the screwed after all.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                  X