Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah these morons are #10 on my "top 10 customers you don't want to see" list. But the worst of any on the list. Not always business men, but usually.

As much as I like just giving customers their 10 cents to make them shut up and get the hell out of the store, from reading this site I feel motivated to do the exact opposite and I feel good about it if the moron is wrong (read - 90% of the time). I think sometimes customers act angry to intentionally get a discount. They figure if they're angry, we'll give them the discount so they'll shut up and move along.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Take heart, I've seen truckers with bigger numbers on their W-2's. For so many it is an act.
      I used to work in an area where there was some serious money. On a few streets, the cheapest houses started at a million, and it went up from there - that was mid nineties, and that's a shedload of cash for a house.

There were quite a few we suspected (with some small evidencete) of being 'credit card millionaires'.

Rapscallion

Comment

I would like to respond to the original poster in this thread, and some of the responses. I grew up in a family that had many businesses, and learned how to work...very hard actually. I chose to go out on my own and joined the police force. It was an enjoyable period of my life, which through promotions ended after serving as a Police Chief. And then I changed in midstream.

Today, I am a CEO, and in my spare time (sic) also sit on a whole pile of 'Boards' including a major "Health Region". I guess I am one of those people that you refer to when you state that you hate businessmen. I'm sorry about that... not all of us are so caught up in our daily regimen that we forget about life all together. I just want to comment on some stuff that was said. I didn't get my job by being lazy... When I was in high school (way back when), I was the grill cook for a large restaurant.. the place made money off me... on the shifts that I didn't work they would hire three staff that I could handle all by myself. I have always been fast, orderly, and have a hell of a memory. I put myself through University by working a full time job selling for a wholesaler. I sold myself first, the company and products second, and except for the vacation month outsold every other salesperson each month (no matter what area I was assigned). Then when I was doing my in-service for my accounting designation I found that I could make more money as a business consultant because I was able to blend finances and business together. It's the mentality and the 300 hour months I guess. OK, So now I sound like a real prick... Sorry about that!

Refusing to acknowledge hello's. That's just tasteless and rude. I have noticed that culturally some men hold some disdain toward women, but that's still uncalled for. Being so busy that your thoughts are not in order is most likely the real reason, and those crackberries are causing many a good man (and woman) to lose all personal life altogether. Waving money around is not the sign of a businessperson... good ones have accounts and cards (credit and direct debit... who carries cash?) As far as women melting for them, well the majority of us are happy family guys who aren't that kind. In my opinion any man who in public tries to exemplify everything good about himself and his company (morally, ethically, financially) and then would chase a skirt even once truly shows that he never believed any of the former in the first place.

As far as trying to get the best price, well what do you expect? We are hired to our positions and keep them because we are quite astute at saving a buck where it counts. Every large company receives encouragements from the major airlines and hotels and incentive prices that are well below the going rate. I have a travel budget that is extremely high. When we accept a price structure and travel somewhere for a meeting and stay at a hotel that has a nightly rate of $329, and we have been offered the same for $ 134 of course I am going to make sure I get that rate at the desk. Once paid, there is no refund for the overpayment. Ever. I know it's not the young man or ladies fault, but I am in the business of making and saving money. If they are not going to honor what they offered to me, they sure as hell will do the same to my staff as well. So if a problem is found hardball will be played and they'll be off our entire company list (and because this is an old boys club, most likely any of the companies I am associated with as a board member) as well. It's to bad that you get the brunt of this, (you're right the suits don't take the shit over this), but business is business and if they don't have faith in their policies and agreements being followed, then they either have poor staff, or poor management practices. Either way, their stock most likely just tanked.

Next: Starting at about $ 50 g, many of our nurses with overtime are making well over a hundred grand each year. A couple of them were well over $ 140 grand, which ticks off the senior managers who do not get overtime and get less than that. And truckers whether they be leased operators or staff also make good coin. There is really no blue/white collar differential anymore, it should be more of a do you get your hands dirty question now, other than some of the truckers would make more if it were not for the driving rules (logbooks, etc) that have crimped some of their style. They work very hard for their dollar and deserve every cent they make.

Cologne: I would suggest that your organization put up a sign at the front door saying that you are a perfume free zone due to allergies.. It might alleviate some of the stink. I hate perfume/cologne on man or woman. Just take a bath a little more often, and keep your clothes clean. I flat out tell people that I have an allergy to perfume (stinky lie) and to keep away from me. It seems to work.

BTW: I love prime rib, cheap California wines are fantastic, and I hope to someday get a ride in a luxury car.. (hope it's not a hearse). and travelling first class is a perfect example of wasting money.

Clueless about operating the cc terminal. You bet. Have no idea how to start it up, or run off the daily. If I had to I could learn how to do these things in at least the same time as any other normal person. But, I know the contract terms for that bank service inside and out including operating costs and revenues, (some banks will pay us to install their terminals) interest revenues, fees, and penalties, liabilities, competition restrictions, privacy act legislation, and complaints process and cancellation rules. Do you?

Anyway, back to original topic. You obviously consider your work very important and are good at it. It's nice to see that you can take pride in your job even when some guys who have are having an argument with the world are doing their best to spoil yours. Letting someone like that ruin your day and then dwelling on it, is like letting someone rent a space in your head... a place that should only be reserved for you. Remember; the day you win the lottery you can tell them all to fuck off.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Bet they eat prime rib for dinner, drink good wine, and rent luxury cars on their business trips, and put up posters around their workplace urging the peons to "Build Shareholder Value".
          Then go home to an empty house and cry themselves to sleep.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
            Then go home to an empty house and cry themselves to sleep.
            No, they go home to either a trophy wife or a trophy rented companion. Neither of which compares to having someone who cares about you.

And if the recent economic news has you down, just remember: credit card millionaires are going to run into problems as their credit lines start drying up.

Comment

On the plane they fall into two catergories:

Nice frequent flyers, well used to flying, friendly and pleasant.

Nasty frequent flyers, I love asking them to turn their laptops off, put their seatback upright, sit down, do their seatbelts up etc as they hate being told what to do by someone they deem to be 'beneath' them. As it's safety related they have to do what we say! Never watch the safety demo, they prefer to read the Financial Times. Hmmm remind me who I won't be rescuing in an emergency evacuation!

I feel smug knowing I can get off the plane, have no work to take home with me etc and that day is over AND earn a good salary. I feel sorry for these stressed business men and women. I enjoy beaming and them and saying 'buh-bye' as they leave as well as they always look so cross!
              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Flying used to be enjoyable but it sure can become tedious and extremely irritating if there is a kid or two on board that has never been disciplined.. There most definitely is a difference between the sizes in airline planes, and private aircraft. I fly a considerable amount, and to go anywhere meaningful in this country even at 737 speeds takes a 3-4 hour flight, and you'd only be crossing a ⅓ of Canada. If this was somewhere in Europe you'd feel like you were on a bombing run crossing several countries. Add to that some of these airlines are flying these little shitbox jets/propjets with ±50 seats. Flying can be outright boring even with the on board TV's. Seats are so close together you lose circulation in your legs, and bad as the food was at times, sure do miss getting something to eat. I can only imaging how much work the flight attendants had in those days, having to serve food as well. They still have the same number of attendants on board... the law requires a ratio.

They all do the same safety briefing and the sucker near the emergency door gets to open it before exiting unless he's big enough to make his own exit. I understand the safety element (you don't want stuff flying through the air), but why is a laptop, video game, or cell phone supposed to create so much electronic havoc on public flights, and is perfectly ok on the same plane if it was fitted with 20 seats as an executive jet? Why do I have to have my seat up as far as it can go when landing, when on an executive jet I can be lying down on the couch? If you're argument is inertia, trust me the exec stops a lot faster. Climbs at a steeper rate too.

Just my two cents... I know you have a hard job, and being rude to you is not in anyone's best interests, but some people go along with everything like sheep to the slaughter, while others question policies that just make no sense, OR have been put in place (eg: how come you can use the pay phone in your seat, but not your own cell phone) to restrict access so they can make more money.

Comment

Working...
                X