Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Closed Thread

At the library
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Store Manager

Default At the library

I suppose technically the individual in this post wasn't really a 'customer', but this is the closest place I can find to put it.

So yesterday I went to the library to do some research. As usual, I took along my crusty old laptop for internet access and to take notes. While the library has computers, you are limited to only 30 minutes if there are others waiting (and there is ALWAYS a list), but if you bring your WiFi-equipped laptop, you don’t have that limitation.

I was doing my thing at a table near the back of the library. I’d pushed the laptop aside for a few minutes while I was reading when out of the blue, a woman planted her ass in the chair across from me, turned my laptop to face her, and just began using it like it was her own personal property. No ‘Hello’, no ‘May I…’, NOTHING.

Now, if she had ASKED first, I probably would have been okay with it – though I would have saved my notes first. But she DIDN’T ask, and when I spoke up about it, she gave me this look like she’d accidentally discovered some new kind of particularly disgusting fungus – and, ignoring me, went right back to clattering away on the keyboard.

Don’t ask, and then ignore me? Congratulations, baby. You’ve just discovered how to cold-start my ‘asshole’ mode.

I reached over and yanked the power cord out of the laptop. The battery in this thing is completely shot, so once the adapter is unplugged, it shuts off instantly.

Cue the rage. How DARE I deny her access to the Internet?

MY laptop, lady. Bring your own, wait your turn for the public terminals, or ASK before using someone else’s property.

She blathered on about how it was a PUBLIC library. Indeed it is. But ‘public’ doesn’t extend to MY laptop.

When it became clear that I wasn’t buying into her half-assed argument, she stomped off to the front desk. I don’t know what was said there – I wasn’t close enough to hear the exchange, but there were several gestures in my general direction, and apparently she didn’t like the librarian’s answer, because she became even MORE agitated. A bit more of the flailing of the arms and she finally stomped out of the library altogether.

On a side note, I got big love for Auto-Save.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

If someone had done that with my laptop, I wouldn't have yanked the power cord, but I would have reached over and shut the laptop and then pulled it back to myself.

I probably would have had a few choice words for her, too. Mostly of the four-letter variety.

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Release the Snarken!

It's a "public library" so your laptop is public, huh? I guess that means so is her purse. Thanks for the cash!

Yeah, let's see how well that one would have gone over.

And yanking out the power cord is a hell of a lot nicer than I would have been. I commend you on your restraint.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 PM
former floor monkey

My response would have started with closing the laptop on her fingers.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 AM
The New Office Slave

I do believe you ran into a relative of the person I dealt with some time back.

Yeah, hands off my computer. Not going to happen.

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Library Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Quoth Rodimal View Post
My response would have started with closing the laptop on her fingers.
This, totally. And if I was feeling like being proactive, I'd've told staff about her and probably gotten her written up or kicked out for the day. One time offenders are often repeat offenders.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth camjuniper View Post
This, totally. And if I was feeling like being proactive, I'd've told staff about her and probably gotten her written up or kicked out for the day. One time offenders are often repeat offenders.
Tempting though that is, it's probably better that I didn't think of it. I could see someone that self-entitled filing a complaint for assault - and if she'd been injured even slightly, well.... I'm sure you can divine the implications of THAT.

A more immediate concern, though, would be the welfare of the laptop itself. Suddenly closing up a laptop when there's something obstructing the lid usually doesn't end well. Something's going to give, either the hinges or - more likely - the display. Replacing either on a machine this old would cost considerably more than it's worth.

It IS very old, true enough, and I do plan on replacing it with something newer in the coming months, but for now, I'd like to keep it functional. I *COULD* replace the machine right now if I needed to, but I'd rather not.

I'd like to point out, in all honesty, that this logic is all the result of retrospect. NONE of it passed through my noggin at that particular moment. If I *HAD* thought of slamming the lid shut, I probably would have, because I'm not the most rational person when I'm in asshole mode.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth Crossbow View Post
It's a "public library" so your laptop is public, huh? I guess that means so is her purse. Thanks for the cash!

Yeah, let's see how well that one would have gone over.

And yanking out the power cord is a hell of a lot nicer than I would have been. I commend you on your restraint.
I wish I'd thought of this. Or maybe her car keys.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Crossbow View Post

*snip*
Love it! Her reaction would no doubt have been YouTube-worthy.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Assistant Manager

Someday, she'll probably do this to someone who has a laptop and cell phone like mine. After she refuses to return the laptop, the owner can spend half a minute tapping on the phone and have the laptop make an annoying sound. Another minute of tapping, and the laptop reboots. It would then come up demanding an unlock code and displaying the message "Stolen from [name] by a woman who needs a lesson in public behavior."
Closed Thread