Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very untidy. I have two main bookshelves, plus four sections under my bed and random books scattered about the house cuz I'm lazy and don't always put books back after I finish reading.

I have chicklit, impressive lit, books on serial killers, books on witchcraft and the occult, ghost stories, true crime, crime novels and murder mysteries, children's books (cuz they're far too good for the little shits), fantasy novels, some sci-fi and some random books that don't fit into any category, like Kit William's "Masquerade".
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

LOTS of science fiction, mostly "hard" Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Niven dominate.

Reference and nonfiction: A VERY well thumbed heavy dictionary from before the internet days. I remember a roommate whining about me on the phone: "And I'll get up on Sunday morning, and he's READING the DICTIONARY! Yeah, READING the DICTIONARY!"
      PDR and Gray's Anatomy
      DSM (2 editions) and an entire shelf of Psychology and Neurology; a 1st edition Maslow text I found for $1 at a moving sale while visiting San Francisco!
      Misc human sciences; sociology, teaching
      Organic chemistry, welding and metallurgy, construction, gardening and botany, cookbooks
      Nootropics, ethnobotany, droogs
      Community organizing, activism, libertarian/anarchist stuff, politics
      Pretty complete set of Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comics; smattering of other graphic titles

If not for the internet, my house would be a tunnel-o-books today.
      Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Same here...I love my Kindle. I don't have to tote around [insert religious book] that's 1000+ pages long, or a foreign language version with translations, when I want to read it, or LOTR as a whole set, in big volumes.

I just wish the Kindle app was worth a crap and didn't keep force-closing on my phone, or I wouldn't need a Kindle at all. :P
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

A lot of my stuff is still packed up from my last move, but a lot of it is books on automotive history, some non-fiction legal books on such topics as serial killers, forensic psychology and such, plus my prized copy of Helter Skelter signed by Vincent Bugliosi, several Dave Barry books, books on a variety of US historical topics and some sci-fi stuff, The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, and some other assorted stuff that in retrospect I can't believe I read it and didn't puke from how hard my willing suspension of disbelief was violated, but that was probably due to me being, oh, 14 at the time.

Currently, of all the stuff that's unpacked and on the shelf? Two Words:

CARL HIAASEN
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Last I actually counted I had 444 books...that was last year sometime and doesn't include the at least 25 on my desk at work. I have three 5-shelf bookcases (some of the shelves have two rows of books on them) and two shelves above my desk and then some piles here and some piles there and then there's my nook and a number of articles and essays and short stories saved as pdfs on my computer so I can put them on my nook...plus I recently figured out how to get ebooks from the library oh and the two library books on my table and I even have the sign for the book The Devil's Teeth (good book, btw) from when it was featured on a table at the bookstore which I need to frame and put up somewhere and, um, I read a lot...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

About 100 Manga books and some books on Locksmithing which is the trade I am trying to get into.

Comment

Mine, not much, just one cheap 5 shelf bookcase which just ran out of room. The majority is sci-fi and mysteries, but there is a fair amount of variety there, take a look: Good Reads.

Now my husband's collection... Well, we rented a two bedroom apartment, one for us, one for his books. Mostly sci-fi, the collection takes 7 full sized bookcases and one shorty, and many of those are shelved two deep and two high.
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

There are 8 books cases in my badroom, with sci-fi, Robert Parker, James Bond, Doctor Who novelisations, Jasper Fforde, Charlaine Harris, vampire novels, books on Doctor Who, fantasy, Star Trek. One small bookcase on my landing with various thrillers. One shelf in my living room with books on Star Trek and movies, and one book case with history books.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

My six full bookcases? The reason I bought a Kindle?

Well, shit. There is, of course, the Bookcase of Death, where I house all my books on serial killers. This one, which is right by the front door, has been the cause of worry for more than one teenage boy taking one of my nieces out.

Beyond the killers, I have plenty of books on the JFK assassination, Watergate, the Nazis and the Holacaust, biographies, some fantasy and science fiction, some cookbooks (that I really need to take more advantage of), and a bunch of other random stuff.

But yeah, it's an interesting collection.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

http://patriciacorrell.blogspot.com/...bsessions.html

I found an old blog post with pictures, so you can literaly see what my bookshelves look like.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Actually they are pretty tidy for a change.

I have 137 books on my shelves, and got rid of around 100 in the last year/ 18 months. The physical books span several categories (of my own creation): Classics, Biography/ Autobiography, Re-written Fairytales, Children's, Conspiracy, Crime, General Fiction, Gay & Lesbian, True Life, Philosophy, Reference, Poetry, Plays and Cookery.

As for my Kindle, I have 166 books that can be broken down into similar categories: Crime, Children's, Conspiracy, Plays, Cookery, Poetry, Classics, Reference, Re-written Fairytales, True Life, General Fiction. I don't categorise my Kindle books this way - most are by series.

The largest categories are Crime, Classics, Children's and Poetry. I've only got about 50 on my amazon wish lists.
                        "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Right now, I have a total of 4 "Billy" bookcases from Ikea. They're all bolted to the wall, and each other. All are completely filled with hobby-related items, including 40 years of bound Model Railroader, Trains, 20 years of Classic & Sports Car, my grandfather's jazz records, my sheet music, huge collection of car brochures, multiple version of Hitchhiker's Guide, piled to the ceiling. What won't fit in there, is currently stacked on the floor. Yes, I know I'm a "bad" book owner!
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

1/4 of one wall dedicated to storing all my books- I'm gradually getting Kindle versions though, so my collection of actual books is reduced from it's height. 187 Kindle books. ( and regularly increasing)

Comment

My bookcase has a lot of old textbooks that I never resold, especially lit and anatomy books. I have a random collection of novels, from fantasy to chick lit to contemporary drama. Hubs has a nice collection of paranormal books. There are also knick-knacks and stuffed animals here and there in front of the books.

I need more bookshelves. I have piles of books on tables and chairs that have nowhere to go. Unfortunately I live in a tiny apartment and there isn't really room for more furniture...
                              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I just moved, and have five floor-to-ceiling bookshelves all along one wall, and a waist high shelf on another wall. Pics when I finish unpacking everything.

Glee!
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X