Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, I get a bit of a chuckle about people thinking it's impressive. It's all about what's "normal" for you. I grew up working on cars with my father and grandmother. My grandmother was an airplane mechanic. Women working on engines was just normal for us. I'm comfortable with power tools because it was simply expected that the kids would help with the family business (my parents own rental houses), and when things needed to be repaired, we'd tag along and help. In the aftermath of hurricane Andrew, it was all hands on deck, as there were 27 townhouses and single family homes completely destroyed. Again, this was just normal. The one thing I'm a little leery of, however, is electrical. For whatever reason, I never got comfortable with that.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      See, I get a bit of a chuckle about people thinking it's impressive. It's all about what's "normal" for you. I grew up working on cars with my father and grandmother. My grandmother was an airplane mechanic. Women working on engines was just normal for us. I'm comfortable with power tools because it was simply expected that the kids would help with the family business (my parents own rental houses), and when things needed to be repaired, we'd tag along and help. In the aftermath of hurricane Andrew, it was all hands on deck, as there were 27 townhouses and single family homes completely destroyed. Again, this was just normal. The one thing I'm a little leery of, however, is electrical. For whatever reason, I never got comfortable with that.
      That's the thing; impressive is something you're unable to do yourself.
      I can do pretty much anything woodwork related and some simple electrics and plumbing; complex electrics and mechanicals, nope.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
        Then there are the guys who 'Frankenstein' their cars - the car is basically a mashup of parts from six other cars.
        I guess that is the cue for this song.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Kal, that's what I mean. It's what's normal for you. This sort of stuff is normal for me, but there's other stuff I can't do to save my life. I can't sew beyond straight stitching and buttons, crafting or anything artistic is just not gonna happen, I'm a merely competent cook (though I can bake quite well), keeping a tidy house on a day to day basis seems overwhelming (though I can clean up a disaster with the best of them), I learned to program computers only because my degree required it, but I suck at it and forgot almost everything I ever knew, hair, makeup and fashion sense are just beyond me, and the list goes on. I grew up working on cars with my grandmother and father, so it's normal for me. Other people grew up doing the sorts of stuff I can't do, but it's normal for them.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
          X