Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother once answered the phone in Polish when some kids kept prank-calling our house. She rattled on for a bit and they hung up.

I'd love to try the fake accent bit on a telemarketer, though.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And here I thought my "JA! Toaster Stroooodle!" routine was the bee's knees.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I'm going to say "moshi moshi!"
        My conversation with an Indian scammer:-

Me: (Answering Phone) Moshi moshi
        iSC: Hello Sir I am calling you from Windows about your computer.
        Me: gozaimashita Sensei
        iSC: What language are you speaking?
        Me: jesteś idiotą
        iSC: I don't know what you are saying
        Me: Satu dour tiga empat
        iSC: (Hung up)

I spoke Japanese (twice) Polish and Indonesian

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
          The overly perky girl heard my fake accent, assumed I spoke Spanish, and passed the phone number to a Spanish-speaking co-worker so she could call me and try to con me into this obviously ice cream related scheme.
          My wife was born in Puerto Rico, and is fully fluent in both English and Spanish. Back when she still lived by herself, if a telemarketer would call her, she'd start jabbering at them in Spanish. Then when they got a Spanish-speaking telemarketer to call her back, she'd switch back to English.

I have Caller ID and I let the answering machine screen any numbers I don't recognize, so she doesn't get to do that anymore.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Heh, I was at a friend's house one night, and he happens to teach Spanish and Portuguese. They're very similar languages, to the point where they share a lot of vocabulary, but that vocabulary can mean rather different things depending on which you're doing.

Telemarketer calls, rattles on, and my friend replies in fluent, rapid Spanish.

Telemarketer hangs up.

Phone rings again, friend answers.

Telemarketer goes off in Spanish.

Friend answers, "No! No! Portugese!"

Telemarketer hangs up. Phone remains quiet the rest of the evening.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Bast once responded to a telemarketer as if she were providing a phone sex service. Until she burst out laughing, admitted she couldn't keep it up, and hung up on them.
              I thought it was the customer, not the service provider, who would have trouble "keeping it up".

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
              She reported that the woman on the other end said to someone else "Is this some Chinese number, Shorty?" and then hung up.
              But the person on the other end DID Wing a Wong number.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                But the person on the other end DID Wing a Wong number.
                "It is very difficult to phone people in China, Mr. President," said the Postmaster General, "The country is so full of Wings and Wongs, every time you wing you get the wong number." -- Roald Dahl, Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator

Comment

I keep getting these calls from people asking me about lowering my interest rates...despite repeatedly taking them off their list. Thank God for the iphone blocking...although I still have to delete messages.

When I first got my cell phone, my number was pretty close to the Traveler's Aid number at Metro Airport. Every so often I would get a call from someone asking about such and such flight. One time this lady kept calling and then asked, "Are you sure you're not the airport?".....

Comment

In Australia, it's actually illegal for telemarketing companies to call from a 'blocked'/'private'/'No Caller ID" number. They must display a number that they're calling from.

Of course that doesn't stop the scammers calling from said numbers, but it makes them stand out if you're smart enough.
                    the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

I'd have just told her that I'm an Al Bhed and laugh at the thought of her getting a rep that could speak the language!

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                        I keep getting these calls from people asking me about lowering my interest rates...despite repeatedly taking them off their list. Thank God for the iphone blocking...although I still have to delete messages.

When I first got my cell phone, my number was pretty close to the Traveler's Aid number at Metro Airport. Every so often I would get a call from someone asking about such and such flight. One time this lady kept calling and then asked, "Are you sure you're not the airport?".....
                        You should told her, "Wait! You're right!" Then fed her some bogus flight info.
                        I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                          I'd have just told her that I'm an Al Bhed and laugh at the thought of her getting a rep that could speak the language!
                          Good luck finding a rep that has found all 26 primers.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            Good luck finding a rep that has found all 26 primers.
                            These Al Bhed posts are full of win.
                            For those that don't know...Al Bhed is a language in the video game Final Fantasy X

Comment

Working...
                            X