This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemarketer Retry Fail

Mrs. Shirts has been receiving calls from some "restricted" number for a few days now. She just ignores them after having answered once and getting some kind of sales pitch. Another such call came in a couple nights ago, and I decided to answer it to have some fun.

Me: (in a thick fake Russian accent) 'Allo!
    Overly Perky Telemarketer: (spoken very quickly so I understood less than half of what she said) Hello blahblahblah from blahblah. Blahblah you like to blahblahblah? You blahblahblah guess blahblah 31 flavors blahblahblahblahblah. Blahblah win a blahblah! Blah?
    Me: Eh... Sorry, I am not understanding words you are saying.
    OPT: Oh! Well blablah you speak blablahblahblah sweepstakes?
    Me: You are making nonsense. I am cannot understand you.
    OPT: ... Hello?
    Me: No, is goodbye now. You go away.

And I hung up. Not two minutes later, the phone rings again, and the call shows up as "restricted." I answer.

Me: (same fake accent) 'Allo!
    Spanish Telemarketer: Hola?
    Me: What is you need? Why you call?
    ST: (says something in Spanish)
    Me: (makes up something that sounds vaguely Russian)
    ST: No. *click*

My best guess? The overly perky girl heard my fake accent, assumed I spoke Spanish, and passed the phone number to a Spanish-speaking co-worker so she could call me and try to con me into this obviously ice cream related scheme. Whatever the case, we haven't heard from them since.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

That is freakin' _brilliant_! I gotta borrow that the next time I get one of those!

Comment

Oooh! That's good.

Next time I answer a call from a restricted number, I'm going to say "moshi moshi!"
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I had a problem where I'd get texts from random numbers about some insurance payment and they always promised that it would stop if I texted STOP back.

Because confirming that it's a valid number won't get me more telemarketers at all.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Boris is name of accent. Have life of its own.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Stupid question time: How do you rename the link, while having the link still work? The only way I know to do it, it looks like this:

http://notalwaysright.com/in-soviet-...eaks-you/39150
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
              Stupid question time: How do you rename the link, while having the link still work? The only way I know to do it, it looks like this:

[ URL = site link ] alternate name [ / URL ]

Minus the spaces.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

I got into the habit of answering the phone Aru bei <Rob's last name, which happens to be Alsatian German> and the Aru properly as 'h<heavily rolled R>u in a very German accent. [Rammstein, teaching German since '94 =)] and I do quite a good German accent - spending as much time playing games on German and Euro servers as much as I do =) If someone starts talking at me, I can always go into riffs on 'entschuldegung, bitte' or 'Ich verstehe nicht' .. then if they start speaking german, 'kan je repeate assebleife' [afrikaans] which tends to confuse them totally and they hang up. =) If that doesn't work I might swing into Romanian or Croatian.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post

Quick way is to type out what you want it to show as (ie "This link here" without quotes), highlight it, then click the link button above. A window will pop up and you put the link in. Click confirm then it will be filled out properly.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Jay 2k and lordlunder; thanks guys, I`ve got it now.
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

My accent's name is Lev.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                        My accent's name is Lev.
                        My accent's name is Vitaly.

"My name is Vitaly. How can I be of assistance?"

Comment

"Helga's Heavenly House of (w)Hores, our business is your pleasure. How can we service you today?"

Bast once responded to a telemarketer as if she were providing a phone sex service. Until she burst out laughing, admitted she couldn't keep it up, and hung up on them.

(And yes, my alternate-persona is Helga, the Madam.)
                          Last edited by Seshat; 08-18-2014, 02:10 AM.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A friend kept getting wrong number calls on her phone, and she explained that it was a wrong number to the people calling more than once. We were talking about it at the annual NYE party, when it rang again. Another friend took the phone and answered in Spanish. She reported that the woman on the other end said to someone else "Is this some Chinese number, Shorty?" and then hung up.

Never called again.
                            My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

You could talk like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X