Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completionist's Worst Enemy (video game talk)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to hand it to microsoft and rare on rare replay. 10k achievement score, and you have to progress so far in each game to unlock all the bonus material. What makes it a challenge is the xbox360 titles. Their unlocks involve hitting achievement milestones (150, 350, 450, 500, etc.) for each game.
    And im too much of a completionist to stop. Fuck

Comment

I'm so excited about the Rare Replay, we have to wait a little while before we can get it though. I'm mostly looking forward to Conker's Bad Fur Day and Battletoads. I remember playing Battletoads when I was little and apparently it's just as difficult as I remember it to be.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

So latest news for Fallout 4 may put it on this list.

Game carries on after storyline is completed, and no level cap.
        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Depends on what you can accept as "complete".

World Of Warcrack...er...craft, has an achievement system much like XBox, PS, etc.

Some of the achievements are no longer possible to hit. Some are timing (log in during X anniversary), some are "beat the current patch big bad guy before the next one comes out", some are based off of portions of the game that no longer exist.

The granddaddy of them all though was having one particular mount, that was obtainable by only one or a VERY small handful of people on each server, for an event that was 8 or 9 years ago. To complete this event you didn't need just the help of your guild, you needed the help of YOUR ENTIRE SERVER practically.

Then when the event happened, most servers crashed because people all crowded into one zone and overloaded the system.

I've played WoW On and off (mostly on) since 2007, and I only have about 11000 achievement points - most are worth 10, some 5, some 20 or 25. There are people with thousands of more achievement points than I.

Comment

I don't really count ongoing games like WoW or Destiny when thinking about completing games, because, yeah, they ARE going to be impossible to complete unless you were there from the beginning or are involved in the inner workings in some way.

I don't know how I forgot about this, but my favorite game is damn near impossible to beat just from the sheer size of it. Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning (for those of you who don't know, it's similar to the Elder Scrolls games), has a MASSIVE amount of side quests and even though the game itself is rather tame with the glitches, odds are you'll run into one at some point. Its even harder if you're trying not to fail any missions, because glitches can make you fail or, like in one circumstance, I was on a mission to make weapons and accidentally salvaged for parts the weapons I was supposed to turn in. I'm not sure if that was a bug, but I couldn't fix it and had to go kill the guy I was supposed to turn them into in order to get it to fail me.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Skyrim on console.

Buggier than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and you could lose questgivers if you walked past the wrong town and a scripted attack occured while you were technically within loading distance. Really fun if you don't spot it before you override the save you'd need to save them. -_-

Oh, and achievements didn't always register when you met their requirements. Also fun.
              I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
              In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

There was a recent indie game, with only a few levels, that quickly triggered lots of reports that it was so hard, nobody could get past the first level. The guy who made it recently admitted that this is because there IS no way to beat the first level
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  There was a recent indie game, with only a few levels, that quickly triggered lots of reports that it was so hard, nobody could get past the first level. The guy who made it recently admitted that this is because there IS no way to beat the first level
                  Was it made by this guy?

PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Actually you're off on that. What happened was when the game was sold, people were playing could not get past the first level. When they asked for help, the dev kept giving hints for subsequent levels and not the first. When people looked at the achievement history for the game which showed how many people beat which levels the only one listed as to ever beat any levels was the dev himself. Someone then looked into the game files and found that the only proper level in the game was the first one, with subsequent level files being copied files from the first level. When confronted with it the dev lashed out saying what was done was illegal then claimed it was a bad patch that was uploaded and the next patch would fix it. This was two weeks ago with no new patch, the dev going dark and players being given the ability to get a full refund regardless of situation (the game uses trading cards and the dev had it set to only give cards out after 2 hours of play, putting it out of reach of the regular refund policy. Not really relevant but suspect nonetheless.) At no point did he ever admit that he only made one level, just that he was caught in doing so.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Replaying FFIX. Just remembered the one thing I could never complete:

Tetra Master.

Fucking card game.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                      X