Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completionist's Worst Enemy (video game talk)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completionist's Worst Enemy (video game talk)

I'm a completionist, and as such, I hate games with massive amounts of bugs. So far I've encountered only two that I was unable to complete 100%, and one (Assassin's Creed: Black Flag) was because it required internet to do more and I didn't have internet at the time.

The other is Fable II.

I know people claim that Fable II is better than Fable 3, but I have NEVER been able to complete all of the post-game quests in Fable II, and the main story quests often had bugs that I had to work around as well. Not to mention, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to manage having a family on that game, since you go on a single short quest and come back to find that your spouse has divorced you and taken the children (or our kid decided to go on an adventure alone and got himself into trouble). The lack of minimap also made things particularly difficult for me, because at least if you wanted to go to one particular building in a town, you had the minimap in the original/TLC and could get the golden trail to lead you there in 3. In II you just wander aimlessly until you find it.

Has anyone else encountered that ever-frustrating unfinishable game?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
    Has anyone else encountered that ever-frustrating unfinishable game?
    Yep. Real Life.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Just Cause 2 is one. I believe that to 100% it you need to drive some of the vehicles and destroy some buildings that were removed before launch. There's mods for it but they don't help with consoles.

Comment

Silent Hunter 5 is the worst game I've encountered yet, in terms of bugginess. So far, I haven't managed to complete even a single patrol in it, for a variety of reasons.

Comment

This isn't because of bugs, but King's Quest VI was a freaking nightmare to finish if you didn't have the game guide. Some of the puzzles were downright diabolical.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
            This isn't because of bugs, but King's Quest VI was a freaking nightmare to finish if you didn't have the game guide. Some of the puzzles were downright diabolical.
            Especially if you went the long route.
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Anything to do with the Dragonborn DLC of Skyrim.

I encountered a lot of glitches in it, and not just your bog-standard ones. Two separate GAMEBREAKING ones occurred REQUIRING console command intervention. It's why I've been reluctant to start on it in my current Skyrim playthrough.

Not to mention that the first time I played I had no troubles with Esbern (a freak accident, since I'm now getting the glitchy one everyone else does).
              Last edited by Tama; 07-28-2015, 10:49 PM.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I've 100% both Metroid Prime 1 and 2 but number 3 has just way too much.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                  So a typical Sierra game then?
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Not bug caused, but more collectables. Batman Arkham Knight is annoying me, and the earlier ones but to a lesser extent, in that you need to collect multiple hundreds of Riddler trophies. Which is literally fly/glide/run to here, then figure out which gadget instantly solves this one step riddle. Stop with that crap games!

This is why I'm looking forward to Fallout 4. You can go "my main objective is this way" then two steps in look right, go "oooh shiny" and instantly get sidetracked.
                    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Hubs has played all of the Arkham games except the new one, he HATES the Riddler puzzles. I often have to get in there and tell him what to do, since my brain is better at the type of puzzle-solving required.

I thought of another that had simply too much to complete: the first Assassin's Creed. There were SO MANY FLAGS you had to randomly come across that I didn't even try.

Really, the only puzzles in any game that I have to look up are the "Get the ball from here to here by moving all the blocks in the way" puzzles in the Professor Layton games, and one of the Riddler puzzles from one of the Arkham games (Asylum, I think, it involved standing under a bridge with three question marks you had to hit at the same time).
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Not because of bugs, but because it was absurdly difficult to finish at all, let alone 100% : There's always Infocom's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" text adventure game. The full retail package came with a hint book, and for damn good reason. It's legally playable online for free these days in all of its black-background & white-text glory, if you're interested. It starts off at more or less the same place as the first book, and expects you to use H2G2 logic.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Speaking of minigames, the ones I can't usually solve by myself are the sliding-block puzzles. When those showed up in a Rayman game on the DS, I actually put the DS down and went off to write a solver program on a proper computer to get me through them.

Rayman used a particular variant of the puzzle with a 4x3 block matrix. As it turned out, the puzzle I'd found myself unable to solve... was *insoluble*, and my solver program proved it. In fact, 50% of the possible initial block arrangements are unreachable from the solution (and vice versa). That meant that whenever a sliding-block puzzle showed up, you had a 50% chance of getting an insoluble puzzle, requiring you to save-scum to get a puzzle that *could* be solved.

Don't ask me how that got past QA.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                            Rayman used a particular variant of the puzzle with a 4x3 block matrix. As it turned out, the puzzle I'd found myself unable to solve... was *insoluble*, and my solver program proved it.
                            That's plain bad programming. If a game developer wants to put in a puzzle that needs to be solved in order to get to the next stage, they need to be sure that it's one that CAN be solved. Either hardcode one that's soluble (or a bunch that are soluble, with a random pick form the list, if you want it to be different on replay), or put in a test for solubility and reject anything that can't be solved.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Or, for puzzles that involve shuffling tiles, generate the puzzle by random moves away from the solution. That guarantees that it's soluble (by reversing the moves, if no other way).

Comment

Working...
                              X