Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever gotten anything larger than a $100 bill?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever gotten anything larger than a $100 bill?

Anyone who's worked a register has gotten people try to pay for small orders with $50 or $100 bills, but has anyone gotten anything larger? It's been decades since they were last printed, but they're still legal tender. In over 5 years of retail I've never had it happen. One time though we did get a memo from corporate saying a store accepted a $500 bill, and we were not to accept them.
    Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

i've never seen them higher than $100 anywhere. I have been offered Australian dollars for real ones (like I wouldn't notice >.>), but I think it was hopefully a joke. On a side note, why does American money look like crap and all these other countries have such cool looking money?
    Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Quoth alphaboi View Post
      Anyone who's worked a register has gotten people try to pay for small orders with $50 or $100 bills, but has anyone gotten anything larger? It's been decades since they were last printed, but they're still legal tender. In over 5 years of retail I've never had it happen. One time though we did get a memo from corporate saying a store accepted a $500 bill, and we were not to accept them.
      $100s are the largest in common circulation (USA), and anything larger is probably counterfeit.

Some idiot tried to cash a million dollar bill at a bank, though. Had the picture of Mr. George W. Bush on it. Now, whether or not you're a fan of the Dub (And NO, please don't start debating it!), in the US, it's considered tacky to put living people on money. We're supposed to wait until their dead and can't embarrass us any more.

Comment

We had someone accept a $1 with pieces of a $50 taped onto it at Sears when I worked there. I heard that the local Best Buy accepted $800 in counterfit $100 bills once. They accepted them because they passed the "pen test". From people I talk to, Best Buy gets scammed on counterfits quite often and doesn't seem to do anything other than use the easily fooled "pen test".
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

What 'Pen test' ?

Is this the same 'pen test' women can use to see if their (.)(.) are sagging..... ?
          Want to know more about me ??
          Then feel free to contact me in the MSN messenger!! I'd be happy to chat with you!
          Or check www.myspace.com/kebable

Comment

Iodine Pen.
            Normal money will mark i think light brown
            counterfeit will mark dark brown, almost black.

It only works because the paper that money is printed on has no startch in it for the iodine to react to.
            Cheap paper is full of startch. However if you buy the really expensive high quality paper, it will have little to no startch in it. hence the pen test can be fooled.
            http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
            Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

They are still legal tender, but any sane person would keep it locked in a bank box or something rather then spend it.

BTW, if anyone sees a $3 bill, let me know.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                a $1 with pieces of a $50 taped onto it
                What pieces? Were the rest somehow of any value to make it worth cutting up?

(I guess if only the corners were moved from the $50 to the single, the remainder, if in excess of 60% of the original bill, could be traded in at a bank for $50. I heard that was the law, and that no value was given for less than 40%, and half value in between.)
                Last edited by Mixed Bag; 08-10-2006, 02:39 PM.
                I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
                  Iodine Pen.
                  Normal money will mark i think light brown
                  counterfeit will mark dark brown, almost black.

It only works because the paper that money is printed on has no startch in it for the iodine to react to.
                  Cheap paper is full of startch. However if you buy the really expensive high quality paper, it will have little to no startch in it. hence the pen test can be fooled.
                  The iodine pens are nearly useless for testing money. Most counterfeiters aren't stupid enough to use cheap paper. It's best to check for watermarks, raised print, etc. http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth toolbert View Post
                    I have been offered Australian dollars for real ones (like I wouldn't notice >.>),
                    Umm, we don't have any austrailians visiting, do we?
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Slightly but when I cashier at my job, people would pay with the older versions of now "counterfiet-proof" bills. To me, $100 bills always had big heads and to see one with a small one astounded me.

The pen test said it was real, so good enough.
                      "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth Mixed Bag View Post
                        (I guess if only the corners were moved from the $50 to the single, the remainder, if in excess of 60% of the original bill, could be traded in at a bank for $50. I heard that was the law, and that no value was given for less than 40%, and half value in between.)
                        That is how you do it. Actualy, don't do it cause the police and Secret Service will not be ammused. If it is more than 50% of the bill you get full value, anything less than 50% and it is worth nothing.
                        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

We had someone accept a $1 with pieces of a $50 taped onto it at Sears when I worked there. I heard that the local Best Buy accepted $800 in counterfit $100 bills once. They accepted them because they passed the "pen test".
                          Those are referred to as "raised notes" and are an old counterfeiter's trick. I've had previous employers accept those, as well, though I've never had one pass through my till. http://www.secretservice.gov/money_raised_notes.shtml
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've never seen anything bigger than a $100, although Canada did produce a $1000 bill up until about 5 years ago. It was discontinued, mostly because it was tempting for counterfeiters to make them, never was accepted by the general population (how often do you carry around a $1000?), and mostly was used for intra-bank transfers.

I tried to get one, as I had to withdraw $1100 for some reason or another. Rather than carrying around all of the $100 that they gave me, I asked if they had a $1000 bill instead. (I don't like carrying around a large number of bills) Unfortunately, they didn't have one at the time, and I'm not sure how common they were.

EDIT: I don't know when the $1000 bill will be replaced with a $1000 coin.
                            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

That is how you do it. Actualy, don't do it cause the police and Secret Service will not be ammused. If it is more than 50% of the bill you get full value, anything less than 50% and it is worth nothing.
                              It's actually changed a bit, unless we are both right and it was just explained to me differently. What I have been trained, is that you must have at least 1 complete serial number and at least one digit of the second serial number for a bank to honor a damaged bill.

ETA: Just measured. On an old style bill you must have 65.3% intact according to the way I was taught, and 67.3% of the new bills.
                              Last edited by Banrion; 08-10-2006, 05:54 PM.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                              X