Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever gotten anything larger than a $100 bill?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did take payment with a $1000 bill once. From a japanese tour group guide in Banff. And yes I checked that puppy thoroughly
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I had a co-worker almost refuse a $2.00 bill, because she had never seen one before.

I get those once in a while.
      "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

hehe in kiwi land we have plastic money

thats right, its not paper, its ACUTALLY plastic

*giggles at her countries strange money*
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I've seen a lot of counterfeit money on display and more than a few $20s in the wild... I've yet to see one that even remotely looks real. US money has an incredible amount of detail in it -- check out the eyes on the portraits sometime, or they way you can read the names of the states engraved on the Lincoln Memorial ($5 bill). If you look closely at a bill and you're not impressed with the amount of detail, it's phony. I'm sure there are master counterfeiters in the world who can come close, but they're unlikely to be buying cigarettes with fake $20s at the local convenience store.
          I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
            hehe in kiwi land we have plastic money

thats right, its not paper, its ACUTALLY plastic
            Well, that'll solve the 'wallet in the wash' problem real quick. Betcha that's why they made it like that, too!
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
              We had someone accept a $1 with pieces of a $50 taped onto it at Sears when I worked there. I heard that the local Best Buy accepted $800 in counterfit $100 bills once. They accepted them because they passed the "pen test". From people I talk to, Best Buy gets scammed on counterfits quite often and doesn't seem to do anything other than use the easily fooled "pen test".

Cashiers where I work live and die by the pen test. They won't listen to me that:
              (a) it isn't accurate
              (b) it takes more time
              (c) the watermark is SO much more accurate and less time consuming.

There's also the feel of money. In the 4 years I've cashiered, I'm sure I've held several million dollars. I know what money feels like. I've never had a counterfeit, but I'm pretty sure I'd catch one if I had one. I check anything over a $20, and I feel $20s. The stupid pen is just a tangible thing, it doesn't do much though.
              Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                Well, that'll solve the 'wallet in the wash' problem real quick. Betcha that's why they made it like that, too!
                It's really because it lasts longer than paper and harder to counterfeit.

Comment

I don't think I've ever come across a bill large than $100 - although that was this annoying woman (a pretty famous basketball coach's wife) who came through the coffee drive-thru at 6am and gave me $100 for her $4.00 of coffee.... yeah cause I have that amoutn of change in my till - would you like 20 $1, and 10 $5s, etc??? Clear out my till thanks! She even though she was "entitled" to special treatment of us taking her $100 bill (we didn't take them normally) b/c she's this guy's wife. WHATEVER!!! I HATED when people would do that.

When the money changed (colors/images) it was always funny to hand it to people b/c they would give you a look like "is this monopoly money"? I've also given people $2 and $.50 pieces and had them look at me like I was trying to pull something.......

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post
                    I did take payment with a $1000 bill once. From a japanese tour group guide in Banff. And yes I checked that puppy thoroughly
                    You should have found a way to buy it from the till. Collectors will pay quite a bit more than $1000 for them.
                    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

I've had sales for large ticket items such as lawn tractors or a complete bathroom or kitchen reno, where the customer paid cash with $1000 bills. It was obvious they had just come from the bank with them.
                      I don't believe the Canadian banks issue that size of bill any more, though.
                      I think $100 is the highest that the Canadian currency goes, now.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

someone was passing counterfiet $500 where i work. i never have seen a $500 i dont even know if $500 REALLY exist.
                        "Hello, my name is Niki....Jessica."
                        "Oh we're a lot of things Niki, but we're not crazy." Jessica, Better Halves
                        Niki's Chronicles

Comment

Quoth amarisse View Post
                          someone was passing counterfiet $500 where i work. i never have seen a $500 i dont even know if $500 REALLY exist.
                          According to my research, which ranged from Wikipedia (I don't consider this source entirely reliable, due to the "any random bozo can edit an article" factor) to the United States Treasury's Web site, the last time the $500 was produced in the US was in 1945, and they were officially discontinued in 1969, along with anything larger. They are still legal tender (although I suspect even a bank would have qualms about taking one), but generally held by collectors, not being circulated.
                          Of course, before I researched this question, I should have probably been clear on which country you're in.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I used to get a lot of pesos that were over $100, I don't think that counts though.
                            "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                              They are still legal tender (although I suspect even a bank would have qualms about taking one), but generally held by collectors, not being circulated.
                              Of course, before I researched this question, I should have probably been clear on which country you're in.
                              A bank will verify its validity and promptly shred it. (Also from the US Treasury site)
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                                The iodine pens are nearly useless for testing money. Most counterfeiters aren't stupid enough to use cheap paper. It's best to check for watermarks, raised print, etc. http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml
                                Lot of stuff I never knew or thought to look for on that page, thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
                                X