This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC on cell phone at Costco gas station

I gassed up around noon today at Costco, one of the busiest times of the day. They have 10 lanes of double pumps but still had 3-5 cars waiting in each line.

I picked the shortest line and waited behind a huge SUV. The cars at both pumps in our lane exited at more or less the same time. After a moment, the SUV pulled up to the back pump. I waited, they didn't pull forward, so I drove around them to the forward pump. I looked back and the SUV driver was a woman talking on a cell phone. In the passenger seat was a teenage boy reading a magazine. I pre-paid, pumped a full tank, put the cap back, waited for the receipt, and the woman was still gabbing on her cell. By then 6 cars were lined up behind her.

She could easily have talked and pumped at the same time, although many people "know" it's dangerous. (That risk has been debunked: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp ) Or if her call was that important, she could have had her gormless kid go pump the gas.

A trifecta: brainless SUV driver, on a cell phone, inconveniencing half a dozen people.

GAAAH!
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

But on the bright side, when she was done she didn't have to wait for a pump.

Comment

I love pulling up next to those SUV at the pump. I'll say loudly, "Dang, 6 bucks to fill up my empty tank." I love motorcycles. I never understand anyone who drives gas guzzlers, anything under 40mpg are gas guzzlers.
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
        I love pulling up next to those SUV at the pump. I'll say loudly, "Dang, 6 bucks to fill up my empty tank." I love motorcycles. I never understand anyone who drives gas guzzlers, anything under 40mpg are gas guzzlers.
        Brat. Ha ha.

Sounds like my mommy's Geo Metro back in the day.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I love motorcycles. I never understand anyone who drives gas guzzlers, anything under 40mpg are gas guzzlers.
          My car gets 30 MPG. I don't know why many people drive SUVs, but I do know why I drive a car. Mainly the 2 feet of snow, -20 F temps, and ice covered roads in the winter. Though during the summer I rode my bike wherever possible.
          "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            Brat. Ha ha.
            Worst part, is it used to be $2 to $3 just two year ago. My tank is only 2.5 gallons.

Comment

Sounds like my mommy's Geo Metro back in the day.
              Ah, the Metro...the only car I know of, that can be carried home if it breaks down

My old Tercel would get about 40mpg on the highway, with 42-45 being about average. However, I somehow got 50mpg on a long trip once. Now that just blew my mind!
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Ah, the Metro...the only car I know of, that can be carried home if it breaks down
                You forgot the Yugo. It trumps all cars for carriability.

Comment

You forgot the Yugo. It trumps all cars for carriability.
                  Well, considering that there aren't many of those about now...I thought Metro was an ideal subsitute. Of course we can't forget the Ford Aspire, Ford Festiva, or Subaru Justy either

Comment

My friend used to have a fun description that my old Metro was nothing more than a sy motorcycle with a hard candy shell....
                    Last edited by mircea12345; 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM. Reason: Language

Comment

Did it have a big "M" on it???
                      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                        Did it have a big "M" on it???
                        No. It had a big 'S' on the roof, and another big 'S' on each of the doors. That way, whenever people saw it, they'd say...

"Hey, look at that 'S' car go!"
                        "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                        -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
                          "Hey, look at that 'S' car go!"

That was bad.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            We'd always ask her why she bothered looking for parking spaces...it could be carried with us into the store/restaurant/apartment.

On another note, we'd mention frequently that we really should get a big wind up key and attach it to the Metro. Lots of laughs.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

On another note, we'd mention frequently that we really should get a big wind up key and attach it to the Metro. Lots of laughs.
                              Something like this? http://www.windupkey.com/models.htm

Some years back, there was a customized VW Beetle in Hot Rod magazine with a huge windup key on it! This particular car used a VW bodyshell over a custom-built chassis...with a Chevy V8 in the nose One thing I liked about that car, is that it looked 'stock' except for the larger rear tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X