This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Time!

It's now September. In the US, taxes need to be filed by April 15.

I had a guy come in the other day asking if we still had any copies of TurboTax left.

What I wanted to say: No. Seeing as it's almost FIVE MONTHS past your tax due date sir, no we don't have any left.

What I actually told him: No, sir.

Idiot: Would any other Staples have any left?

Me: No, sir.

Idiot: Would Circuit City have any?

Me: I seriously doubt it, sir.

Idiot: Well what I am supposed to do then?!

What I wanted to say: Plan ahead next time.

What I actually told him: You may be able to purchase it directly from TurboTax.

That one just about short-circuited my brain.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Minor note: This guy might not be as far gone as he seems.

It's possible to get a six month extension to file your federal income tax. So, if he did that, he's still a month ahead of his personal deadline.

Comment

I'm certainly aware of that, but unless he was physically unable to get into a store in that time, then there's no reason he couldn't have purchased the software in advance. And you can download it from TurboTax.com

A certain phrase comes to mind........

Ah yes....

Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was calling you (or anyone else) stupid. I only found out a couple years ago about filing an extension, so figured I'd make sure that anybody else who didn't know could find out about it.

Comment

He can go online & get it there.

Comment

Who is to say he didn't want to get a head start on next year?
            If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Balgram View Post
              Who is to say he didn't want to get a head start on next year?
              ok, accounting geek here, so that last post really hurt my head (worse than it already is from my head cold)

the customer in the OP would be even stupider if he was asking about next years taxes... any software purchased in 08 will be useless on January 1st 2009 when the revised tax code goes into effect (tax code is revised every single year, mostly to account for inflation, but that's still enough to throw off what the software says is your tax liability).
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Volumes are spoken in emoticons.

As one tax geek to another, hail!
                If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Balgram View Post
                  Volumes are spoken in emoticons.

As one tax geek to another, hail!
                  oh yes they do

oh and apologies if my last post came off wrong... between my head cold and public speaking assignment due tomorrow (not a good combination) I've been somewhat short.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                  X