Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Brain Burps

Closed Thread

Is a dollar Ok?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Bagger

Default Is a dollar Ok?

Customer: Excuse me, how much is this?
Me: 100 cents
Customer: *looks confused and looks through wallet and pulls out two dollars* Is...this...enough?
Me: O_O' Err...you need one more dollar.
Customer: AH! ok. *hands me THREE DOLLARS*
Me: :deadhor se:

Old 10-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Hotel Drone

Bit mean, don't you think? Why couldn't you just say it was a dollar?

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Bagger

Quote:
Quoth Evil Queen View Post
Bit mean, don't you think? Why couldn't you just say it was a dollar?
What exactly is mean about it? Everyone with a proper brain should be able to connect 100 cents = 1 dollar. But he proceeded to give me THREE.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Customer

I once confused a CSR by doing this:

CSR: "That's $10."
Me: [handing over two $5 notes] "OK, two pink ladies"

Turns out she'd never heard "pink lady" referring to the Australian $5 note before. (as for why, just have a look at it: http://www.rba.gov.au/CurrencyNotes/...ve_dollar.html )

Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Hotel Drone

Quote:
Quoth Blackbuster Critic View Post
What exactly is mean about it? Everyone with a proper brain should be able to connect 100 cents = 1 dollar. But he proceeded to give me THREE.
Were they local? Because not everyone on this continent uses pennies and cents and collars.

Now I ask again; what was with saying "100 cents" when "a dollar" would have been fine?

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Front End Supervisor

It was a joke.

It was funny.

I immensely enjoyed it!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Deluxe Lackey

Quote:
Quoth Blackbuster Critic View Post
But he proceeded to give me THREE.
I get you on the 100 cents = one dollar thing. Kinda funny. And kinda brain-burpy that he handed you 2 dollars and asked if it was enough.
But at this point he's obviously confused. I don't see anything brain-burpy in him believing you when you told him, after having received 2 dollars, that you needed one more.

That's where the funny stops for me. Funny would have been saying something witty as you returned one dollar to him as his "change". Lying to him about how much money he needs is just straying towards mean. (Even if you geve him his two dollars back after.)

Apparently, your milage varies.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Store Manager

I would probably be a bit confused, because
a) I'm not from the US
b) I don't tend to think in terms of the smaller denominations when I'm expecting to pay the larger ones.

For me it would be like someone saying 240p- it would take me a while to figure they wanted 2.40, I'd think they were asking for 240, and it would confuse me for a second.

Had that in a shop once, when I was fourteen, I picked up some stuff and the person behind the counter asked for 200 pence, I misheard it as 200, got confused and scared, and then he decided to let me on the 'joke'. I felt humilated and unhappy.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Please get off my line

Why should SCs get to be the only ones to make "jokes". It swings both ways. I like hearing that one every now and then. I makes you think and if you think, therefore you are.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 PM
General Purpose Geek

Quote:
Quoth Evil Queen View Post
Now I ask again; what was with saying "100 cents" when "a dollar" would have been fine?
I personalyl think he was baiting the customer to cause an error.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras
Closed Thread