This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SURPRISE! Puppies!

At the Awesome Forest Kennel, we have a breeding program for our sled dogs. We usually plan one or two litters a year, just enough dogs to replace the dogs that retire each year. We don't ever sell pups, though sometimes they get adopted out. Usually staff will take a dog home if it does not work out at the kennels, for whatever reason.
    Sometimes, though, accidents happen. Two years ago it was Dakota, a former pet. His owners told us he was neutered, and none of us thought to actually reach under there and check. So when he hopped the fence to the girl's side of the kennels, we were not too worried. Que him knocking up THREE girls: Vega, a senior dog; Giddy, a six month old puppy; and Polaris, one of our favorite moms, who had just come into hear again after having Giddy's litter.

Well, Giddy and Vega had to go get emergency spays, but we kept Polaris's litter. Polaris is a productive little doggy...she had eight pups in Giddy's litter, and another eight in the accidental littler. Needless to say, she's out of the motherhood game after this!

This year, we had another accident. One of our breeding girls, Luck, had come into heat but since we had *just* noticed, not all of the staff realized she was in that state. So no one thought anything of it when she was scheduled to run next to Jerry that day.
    Most of our boys are unfixed. If we fix any dogs it is normally the girls, and any males with genetic problems or other health issues. We keep most of the males unfixed to have some choice in who we breed. Jerry was not fixed.
    The end result was Jerry and Luck gettin' busy in front of a fascinated seven year old whose mom was taking a sled tour. Honestly, we could not get this kid to move, we had to finally call his mom over! Poor lady is probably explaining the birds and bees (and dogs) a lot earlier than she expected...

Lucky Jerry is a decent dog. Not one we planned to breed, but not one we are upset about procreating. And he is a red husky, so the pups will be gorgeous. Actually, Luck's litters have always been spectacular looking, even though she usually only has 1-3 pups.

Luck is due March 11. Yay pups!

Woah. I never looked at dog breeding as planned. How ignorant of me.

Those puppies are gonna be beautiful, I love red huskies!
    If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Balgram View Post
      Woah. I never looked at dog breeding as planned. How ignorant of me.
      As far as I know, most responsible breeders are *just* planned breedings. To produce healthy babies, good for the bloodline and the breed. I'm not talking about family pets or such, but I mean through kennels and breeders that show pups, ect.

Also, to the OP, you should post pics of those puppies if possible. I bet they'll be gorgeous. I *love* huskies (though it isn't a breed we're considering when we get our dog, as I think having them in the Florida heat is just plain mean!) so I would love to see puppy pics!
      I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

If i may be so selfish, may I ask if you're allowed to take photos of the dogs and puppies? I've always had a soft 'n squishy part in my soul for cute little furry things.

Comment

RED HUSKY!

*Snugs on Jerry*
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
            As far as I know, most responsible breeders are *just* planned breedings. To produce healthy babies, good for the bloodline and the breed. I'm not talking about family pets or such, but I mean through kennels and breeders that show pups, ect.
            Yes, most breedings are planned but, like the OP said, accidents do happen but sometimes the accidents work out. Ginger- the maternal grandfather of the Finnish Spitz litter we just had was from an "accidental breeding" but the puppies turned out phenomenal.

Also, to the OP, you should post pics of those puppies if possible. I bet they'll be gorgeous. I *love* huskies (though it isn't a breed we're considering when we get our dog, as I think having them in the Florida heat is just plain mean!) so I would love to see puppy pics!
            Yes, pictures are traditionally required - if there aren't any pics, then it isn't happening.

Good luck with the litter. Having raised two separate litters over the past few months I know you're in for a lot of work.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
              Yes, most breedings are planned but, like the OP said, accidents do happen but sometimes the accidents work out. Ginger- the maternal grandfather of the Finnish Spitz litter we just had was from an "accidental breeding" but the puppies turned out phenomenal.
              Oh no -- I wasn't saying that there is anything wrong with accidental breedings. Someone had just commented that they had never realized any breedings *were* planned, so I was commenting on that. I know that accidents happen and responsible breeders and owners (like yourself and the kennel in the OP) make the best of it and make it work. But most of the litters they have tend to be planned out for the health of the mother and the furtherance (is that the right word?) of the breed.

I wasn't trying to say anything against anyone that does have accidental litters. Sorry if it was taken that way!!
              I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

I want a red husky. *pout*
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
                  Oh no -- I wasn't saying that there is anything wrong with accidental breedings. Someone had just commented that they had never realized any breedings *were* planned, so I was commenting on that. I know that accidents happen and responsible breeders and owners (like yourself and the kennel in the OP) make the best of it and make it work. But most of the litters they have tend to be planned out for the health of the mother and the furtherance (is that the right word?) of the breed.

I wasn't trying to say anything against anyone that does have accidental litters. Sorry if it was taken that way!!
                  It really wasn't, don't worry. Accidental breedings happen all the time and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't (there is a "morning after pill" for dogs, too, some breeders proactively use it after a female's heat in case she got bred).

As for planning...

The funny thing is that my wife is already planning 2-3 generations down the road with Kiri. She has Kiri's next litter planned out (then she gets a break for a year or so - an American line dog (ugh)), and hopes to breed one of the females out of that to another German line dog (she even knows the dog!), then take one of those daughters and breed it back to an American line dog.

She is trying to "fix" the American bred dogs - fix the temperament, work drive, looks, yet still keep the "American bred" look (so they'll do well in the AKC show ring).

Some breeders we talk to plan 5-6 generations down the road. Sometimes you can't tell if they're planning puppies or an entire community there is so much planning involved.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                  I want a red husky. *pout*
                  They are beautiful but, and hopefully the OP can correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of them are red as puppies but then turn gray as they grow older (like shepherds - mostly black when they're born and get their red / tan coat in as they grow older).
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Pictures are coming soon. Luck's litter is not due till March 11th (we are all placing our bets now for the # of pups) but I DO have pics somewhere of the litter we had last July and they are just fuzzy-wuzzy adorable.

Comment

I still want one.

*still pouting*

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

facetious question: is anybody trying to breed long-hair dogs to not have any butt hair? One of the poms I'm fostering has a problem with "dingleberries" getting stuck in such a way that he can't poop past them. I try to keep his little butt shaved, but sometimes it just gets away from me. So far, I've caught all the "plugs" immediately, but I know it's gotta be mighty uncomfortable for him while I'm getting him "unplugged" and trimmed back!
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I love puppies, we have a 2 year old Siberian Husky. Not sure if she's full blooded or not, She sorta looks like she has some German Shepard in her. She's black and tan but has red highlights or a red undercoat.

Comment

Working...
                          X