This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Parenting

I was browsing in a local game store when a family of three came along. Mother, father and extremelly annoying child, probably about eight or nine years old.

Child: I want that game!
    Mother: Sweetie, that's a Playstation 3 game, you don't have a Playstation 3...
    Child: I DON'T CARE! I WANT THAT GAME!
    Mother: Aww sweetie, you have an X box. Why don't we go look at the X box games?
    Child: NO! I WANT THAT GAME!

Child started stamping his feet.

Mother: Now sweetie...
    Child: I WANT THAT GAME! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

Mother turns to father.

Mother: Maybe we should have a look and see how much Playstation 3's cost...

The father looked very fed up and run down.

I left the store so I didn't see the outcome, but I bet the child got his way...

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    'I want' doesn't get. Think how lucky you are to have an X Box at all.

What's the betting that the kid got their own way despite the same title being available on X Box? I hate spoilt people like that.
    "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Quoth MannersMakethMan View Post

What's the betting that the kid got their own way despite the same title being available on X Box? I hate spoilt people like that.
      It was Little Big Planet. As far as I'm aware, it's only on the PS3. Still doesn't excuse that kind of behaviour though.

Comment

Its true its the father that ALWAYS looked tired and run down...
        We get the woman that look like they just came out of vogue magazine that come in and spend money and where is the husband....
        In the lobby asleep in a chair.

But no really that kid is gonna have problems in the future. Parents think that they are helping the kid by spoiling...Nope just setting them up for a SHOCK when they relize that life don't work by the I WANT IT way.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
          Child: I want that game!
          Mother: Sweetie, that's a Playstation 3 game, you don't have a Playstation 3...
          Mother: Aww sweetie, you have an X box. Why don't we go look at the X box games?
          Child: NO! I WANT THAT GAME!

Child started stamping his feet.

*snip*
          Well, people in Hell want ice water. Oh, and since you're throwing a temper tantrum, your Xbox is going away until you learn how to behave in public.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

They make a morning after pill. Maybe they could work on an 8 years after pill.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
              They make a morning after pill. Maybe they could work on an 8 years after pill.
              Can you get arsenic in pill form?
              This post has been brought to you by the IPF SC Neutering Campaign.

Comment

If this kid doesn't shape up, he's probably going to become one of those people who calls 911 because some fast-food restaraunt has run out of their favorite food or drink.

Comment

All I can say is this....

If it had been me...
                  Mom: We're going home! <puts games away and goes right home>

And once home I would have been spanked, and gotten grounded, or lost some privilege or whatever.

but NEVER EVER would it have been <cave in and give the little shit whatever she screams for>.

Comment

I was one of those weird kids who would take a "no, you can't get this today" calmly, then start saving my chore money for it like a good little tyke. I learned fairly quickly that with ex-Secret Service in the family tantrums weren't as effective as one would think.

Then again, when I was that age the only consoles were the Genesis, NES and Game Boy and games were cheaper. Every so often if I was super-good I'd be allowed to rent an NES and a few games for the week.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

For some reason, this brought back memories of news stories where the parent was selling son's Xbox/PS2/Whatever on ebay because of some foolishness the kid did. Break into the liquor cabinet and drink a $100 bottle of wine with your friends? Sell the Xbox to pay it back. Wreck the car by doing something stupid? Sell concert tickets (can't remember the band, but it was their final tour, so I bet sonny was pretty distressed).

Too bad these parents are setting their child up for fail. Reality is going to have a cruel introduction once he gets older.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
                        Parents think that they are helping the kid by spoiling...Nope just setting them up for a SHOCK when they relize that life don't work by the I WANT IT way.
                        at the least just a shock-at the worst jail time.."but I wanted that car/girl/diamond ring"-and the parents will have no idea why little precious is in trouble
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Toujin View Post
                          If this kid doesn't shape up, he's probably going to become one of those people who calls 911 because some fast-food restaraunt has run out of their favorite food or drink.
                          Or won't make the burger they want?
                          Last edited by Kogarashi; 02-08-2009, 09:53 PM.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Time here for a good old-fashioned Harrumph!

Look young man, when I was your age I was very happy to get a ten cent comic book when we went to the store. If I was really good, for my Birthday I'd get a Color Forms set that cost a dollar or two.

The old codgers of my generation learned to do much with little. Too many children today seem to do little with much. They seem to have everything but do nothing with what they have.

I remember making a whole airport out of paper. A milk bottle became the tower. The hangars were made from file folders and the planes were all folded paper airplanes. My airport took up the whole 20 foot length of the front porch and it was great fun. And guess what, the planes could really fly across the front lawn.

Yeah, it took time to make but the time was not at a premium when I was a child. A kid had time to think about what s/he wanted to do and could do it.

I know I'm an old curmudgeon but I think the sort of childhood that could make a world from a quire of paper and a box of crayons is much better than a childhood that relies on packaged, expensive electronic games.
                            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

As a child, and even now, "but I want it!" does NOTHING in my home, unless I am purchasing the thing myself.
                              On another note, video games do hold some entertainment sway for me, but a piece of paper or a children's coloring book and crayons or markers or colored pencils can hold my attention for much longer.
                              "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Working...
                              X