This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebates aren't a new concept, people

They might suck, but they aren't new, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Had a guy in tonight (while I was covering a cashier break, of course) who asked for a price check on an el-cheapo POS 2GB MP3 player.

Me: $24.99 plus tax, which is $26.55.

The SC's mouth went agape and he stared at me as if I'd just asked him to recite Proust.

After several seconds, he stammered

SC: But....the sign says $14.99!

BS (overhearing): That item has a $10 rebate, so it's $14.99 AFTER REBATE.

Me: After rebate, sir.

SC: So..................what?

Me: *explains how rebates work*

SC: So you don't take $10 off now?

Me: No, you have to send away for that money.

And then he proceeded to just start STARING at me with this incredulous look on his face, like I'd just uttered some sort of profound insult, and he was in shock and awaiting for me to realize what a colossal gaffe I've just made and quickly apologize and adjust the price down for him.

Good. I haven't had one of these in a while, and I'm real good at staring contests.

As I'd been the last to speak, the ball was in his court, so I just stared right back at him.

And kept staring.

And kept staring.

And KEPT staring.

And just HOPING he'd actually TELL me to take the $10 off now, just so I could bring Maxwell's silver hammer down upon his head (figuratively, of course) and tell him that's NOT the way things work.

Finally, he broke (I win!!!) and said he wasn't interested, then. But five minutes later, he bought it anyway.

Then he came back again with a bottle of Dasani from the Coke cooler. He paid for it, then said "this is too cold for my son. Can I swap it for a warm one?"

A thoroughly bizarre request that I'd never heard before, but....reasonable, I suppose. I had one of the techs fetch a warm one from backstock and we swapped it out for him (he hadn't opened it yet).
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I just sent in a 10.00 rebate a coule days ago - in six months I might se that money

I also sent in a rebate for 1.50 it was for a new style of pen so it would be free. I felt weird depositing that check at the bank.

Comment

The warm water is sure puzzling. Wonder if it was for drinking or cleaning up a mess??
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Ugh rebates. The bane of my existence when I sold cell phones. Some genius at corporate decided that the only displayed prices on our phones should be the AFTER rebate prices (you know because they are lower) and leave it to us to explain the rebate to customers.

I got so sick and tired of the anger and frustration I'd get from folks when I had to tell them they'd be paying a lot more out the door than the sign would seem to indicate for that flashy new phone they had their eye on.

Come to think of it, that may have violated some kind of pricing law...

Rebates are an evil scheme cooked up by companies to save money. They tack on a rebate so they can advertise a lower price when that's in fact NOT what is paid up front, then they make you fill out a form and send in your receipt to get your money back.

The great thing for the company is a lot of people will forget to send in the form or not fill it in correctly or send in the wrong receipt or will do something to result in a denial of rebate and BAM! more money for the profit margins.

If it was an instant discount (which would be FAR more consumer friendly), everyone would have to get it, the companies wouldn't make money off the folks who forget and whatnot, so they would never do it.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

The best part about sending away for rebates? They sell your information. And they get a lot of money for it too, since most people send their correct information to get that rebate.

When I worked at an organization where I did list management, part of maintenance was NCOA (National Change of Address) and then compares with phone number appends through a service that buys the info from rebate companies.

Just wanted to throw that out there for all you conspiracy/big brother haters!
          The key to customer service is accepting the following:
          Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Comment

I just bought a new laptop and sent off the paperwork for a $150 rebate.

Actually it's 2 rebates which the salesman neglected to tell us. One is in the amount for a $100 prepaid visa card to their store, and can only be spent at their store the other is a check for $50 from the manufacturer.

Comment

What I hate is when you do everything right, and still don't get your rebate. I got stuck with that when I was supposed to get a $100 rebate for my contact lenses. Did everything to the letter, never got the rebate.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I don't like doing rebates. Then again, I never claimed to be a master rebater.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I can't prove it, of course, but I'm quite certain that many rebate outfits (mail-in rebate programs are almost always out-sourced for anyone who wasn't aware) simply just don't process any rebates unless the customer calls in after the 6-8 week period to complain about not getting it.
                  Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

And I work for a company that frequently does its own rebate sales. You buy one or more of certain advertised products, fill out a form, attach your receipt...and then wait as whoever actually processes the rebate takes its sweet time in doing.

I loathe them.

For Black Friday, we always have Milton Bradley games for three or five dollars after rebate. And then it invariably gets out that Wally World has the same games cheaper without the rebate, or for slightly more than our price after rebate. So then we end up not selling very many games, and having to move them around and around so at least they're on the floor for customers to buy after Black Friday.
                    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

At my store we have to post the correct price of the item and then just put a sticker on it saying the amount of rebate it is because of a Connecticut state law. We also can't put the ammount after rebate without have a sign up that says "you do the math" while showing the original price then it being reduced to the sales price then the price after rebate. Personally I like the rebates I just got 2 rebates back in the mail i mean its $15 but it did take 5 months.

Comment

*Le sigh*

Didn't want to start yet another debate on the pros and cons of the rebate system.......
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Dave, I liked the staring contest. Do you practice by staring at cats?
                          Make a list of important things to do today.
                          At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                          Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                            The warm water is sure puzzling. Wonder if it was for drinking or cleaning up a mess??
                            I've read some things that say warm water is better for you than cold. How legitimate it is? Not sure but I doubt it could "hold water".

It's ok, I know I'm lame.
                            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

That staring contest sounds hilarious, I love how you handled it. Dude, your question was answered, ask a new one if you're still unhappy.

I despise rebates. I bought a monitor and sent in for my rebate. 6-8 weeks pass and no rebate, I contact the manufacturer. 4 weeks later they contact me and say they don't handle their own rebates, contact rebate company. 6 weeks later rebate company requests that I re-send rebate info. 6-8 weeks later rebate company claims to have sent cheque, will re-issue. 6-8 weeks later rebate company re-issues re-issued cheque. 6-8 weeks later rebate company says rebate eligibility period has ended. A complaint got me put through call transfer hell with the english skills of the "helper" getting progressively worse.
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
                              X