This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the guys

Would anyone be kind enough to assist with research for a story?

I need to know how two 13-year-old boys would behave in a fight. Would they just go in with fists flying, or what?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Really, that depends entirely on the personality of the two boys in question. If you've got a meek/mild one, he might just run. If both are stupid bully types, fists will fly outright. If one of them knows some sort of martial arts while the other doesn't, then that one is likely to stand back to wait for the other to make the first move.

There's too many variables, simply because we have too little information.

Comment

OK.

Both have some training. One is still being taught; the other hasn't had any instruction for the past three years. Neither is timid. The stakes are higher for the one with less training.

Comment

They'll react how you want them to react. These are your characters. You know them best. Consider the psychology of both of them, and go from there.

There are too many variables for us to contribute in a meaningful way. We don't know these boys like you do. Their age and gender have very little to do with how they'll react when faced with a potential fight. You need to figure out how the buildup to the fight happens, and whether these boys are the type to go in with fists flying, or the type to back down, or the type to run away.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
          They'll react how you want them to react. These are your characters. You know them best. Consider the psychology of both of them, and go from there.

There are too many variables for us to contribute in a meaningful way. We don't know these boys like you do. Their age and gender have very little to do with how they'll react when faced with a potential fight. You need to figure out how the buildup to the fight happens, and whether these boys are the type to go in with fists flying, or the type to back down, or the type to run away.
          I do know that, but I've never been a 13 year old boy. This is more a question of how boys in general think. I don't want my characters to react in a way that would make guys reading it say "guys don't do that" (and yes, I've run into this before, though in that case the issue wasn't fighting).

Neither one of them is going to back down or run away. I know the outcome of the fight, I'm just trying to get a peek into the male brain and figured the best way to do that is to ask an actual guy.

Comment

A couple bunches being thrown before it goes to the ground and turns into a wrestling match where little is accomplished.

OR

One kid completely gets his ass beat.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
              A couple bunches being thrown before it goes to the ground and turns into a wrestling match where little is accomplished.

OR

One kid completely gets his ass beat.
              Basically, exactly the same way two 13 year old girls would fight but without enough hair to go around for pulling purposes.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                Basically, exactly the same way two 13 year old girls would fight but without enough hair to go around for pulling purposes.
                And instead of scratching, guys punch.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

And regardless of age, all guys know to go for the nuts if they have the chance. Even the 'reflex' action of trying to avoid the hit can sting.

Comment

Well, these kids have longer hair, but I always figured girls pull hair because they don't know any decent fighting moves.

And regardless of age, all guys know to go for the nuts if they have the chance. Even the 'reflex' action of trying to avoid the hit can sting.
                    And this is good to know. I've always wondered if guys would do that to each other.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Well, these kids have longer hair, but I always figured girls pull hair because they don't know any decent fighting moves.
                      Knowing moves rarely factors into it as the mind of a 13 year old doesn't tend to stay that calm during a fight.

Quoth Salted Grump
                      ...they...do? When I was growing up going for the nuts was always considered the lowest, cheapest thing possible and liable to get you beaten by spectactors for being so cheap. I've never seen guys intentionally go for the balls in a fight in my entire life save for a Youtube clip or two ( Where he was promptly beaten by spectactors for being so cheap. )

Its always been considered a no go zone where I grew up. Which is to say both coasts of Canada.

Comment

Going for the nuts is a good way to get the crap kicked out of you by a large group. One fight I got in, while I played high school football, the other guy after getting beat by me tried to hit me in the balls. While I was disliked by a good portion of the team, they grabbed a hold of him and taught him why that's wrong.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          No. Girls pull hair because it's a really useful thing to grab.

Whenever I think of boys fighting, if it's a less emotional event, there'll be a lot of strikes attempted. If it's going to be very heat of the moment, then it's likely to go quickly to grappling/wrestling.

One of the main differences in the thought processes between boys and girls is that boys tend towards use of only one side of the brain at a time, so when things get emotional, rationality will often take a back seat. Girls, on the other hand, are more likely to use both sides consecutively, which means that we are more likely to be strategic with our spontaneous mayhem.

I never got into fights myself because I'm a pacifist and the other girls in my high school didn't know that and were afraid I'd win.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All the fights I had as a 13 year old boy (and a 10 year old boy, and a 4 year old boy, and a 15 year old boy), were mostly shoving, shirt-pulling, choking, scratching, spitting, crying, and cussing. I had an orange belt in karate, but that all went out the window.
                            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              One of the main differences in the thought processes between boys and girls is that boys tend towards use of only one side of the brain at a time, so when things get emotional, rationality will often take a back seat. Girls, on the other hand, are more likely to use both sides consecutively, which means that we are more likely to be strategic with our spontaneous mayhem.
                              Err....sorry. >.>

Women do tend to use both sides of the brain when approaching tasks that men tend to regulate heavily to one side ot the other. But only for basic tasks. Complex tasks cause both sexes to use both sides of their brain. Seeing as one side is language, emotion, and communication while the other side is logic, math, spatial memory, etc. You kind of need to form brain Voltron out of them to handle a complicated situation. Such as, well, a fight. -.-

When it comes to a fight, girls are just as vicious as boys ( if not more so, girl fights scare me. >.> ) and can be just as irrational. You can argue that boys are more likely to fight ( or girls are less likely due to social expections ) but I wouldn't dare tread on the Pandora's Box that is rationality between genders.

Rationality is an individual thing me thinks. I for one am 100% calm in a fight. This tends to end them 100% faster in my experience or stop them entirely before they begin.
                              Last edited by Ree; 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM. Reason: Removed possily insulting comment

Comment

Working...
                              X