This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my mother pulled this stunt

I'd kill her with my bare hands and feel no guilt.

Me- you know
    HU- hearing user who can't end up in the grave soon enough.

Me: This is (relay) assisting a deaf or hard of hearing person placing this phone call. Have you received a relay call before?
    HU: No, and I don't intend to. That freak my daughter adopted can talk to me when she learns how to communicate like a human.
    *click*

Yeah, if my mother were to pull a stunt like that with any child I were to adopt...

eta for clarification-
    The hearing user was the girls grandfather, not grandmother. I see that some have made that mistake and that was my fault for not clarifying. I use my mother in the title because there is a 100% chance of my father not pulling that stunt... short of a zombie apocalypse.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM. Reason: edited for clarification
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

WTF?????

Just when you think you've heard everything..... Wonder how that person will feel if they start going deaf as they get older? as a lot of people do?
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Oh it seems that being deaf is a choice now!

Comment

It's time for the stupid wench to have screwdrivers jammed in her ears!! How can they 'communicate like humans' when she doen't know how to herself?

I got a sign-language d10 for free off a dice vendor last weekend, because I'd mentioned I was going on a BSL course in September. He said he "has every respect for people who learn it and don't need to". The dice is in ASL, so little help, but it's awesome anyway - big dice collector.
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

That's a sick, sick woman.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            HU: That freak my daughter adopted can talk to me when she learns how to communicate like a human.
            PLEASE tell us you did not have to relay that message back to that poor grandchild!

"Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Stay classy, Grandma!
              "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

At this point, I'd hardly classify Grandma as human. We should send the Big Bad Wolf to her door.
                Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

From Londo Mollari:

"Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

She must be a peach in her everyday life.
                  I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

And that woman needs to learn how to communicate like a person who isn't a total d-bag!

Comment

Smiley, when you're relaying, can you remember more than 3 words in a row? The last relay call I took, the operators (they switched halfway in) literally couldn't seem to remember more than three words. "Thank you for calling company." "could you repeat after for" "calling company (pause til typing stops) My name is name" "Could you repeat after is" It took 4 times as long as I'm used to with relay calls (and they are always Call time killers, fortunately I usually have great CHT)

On topic - When I was growing up, a friend of my moms had a deaf mute daughter. She was about 15 or 16 when we met her. Her parents had done nothing to help her. She spent a lot of time over our house because we treated her like a normal person (hey she was a teenager, we were 4 years & counting younger. The confidence she gained and the encouragement had her learning, for the first time, sign language and to read lips (self defense with 6 mischief makers around). She was the first in her family to go to college. Someone who cares can make a difference. Hope that lady doesn't need help when she gets a little older.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                        Hope that lady doesn't need help when she gets a little older.
                        Karma's a bitch that way. She'll get what she deserves, sooner or later. That is, she'll get dumped in a nursing home, and left to rot. Sadly, this thing happens more than you might think.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Smiley, let me just thank you for performing a service for the disadvantaged (even if there are some people who abuse the system). You don't deserve to handle calls from motherless piles of excrement like that woman.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                            PLEASE tell us you did not have to relay that message back to that poor grandchild!

The HU hung up before I could clarify what they said, I just had to relay to the best of my memory which conveniently was "I don't want to talk right now, please don't call back"

Yeah, still not a very nice thing to say, but a lot nicer than... well, yeah...

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                            Smiley, when you're relaying, can you remember more than 3 words in a row? The last relay call I took, the operators (they switched halfway in) literally couldn't seem to remember more than three words. "Thank you for calling company." "could you repeat after for" "calling company (pause til typing stops) My name is name" "Could you repeat after is" It took 4 times as long as I'm used to with relay calls (and they are always Call time killers, fortunately I usually have great CHT)

On topic - When I was growing up, a friend of my moms had a deaf mute daughter. She was about 15 or 16 when we met her. Her parents had done nothing to help her. She spent a lot of time over our house because we treated her like a normal person (hey she was a teenager, we were 4 years & counting younger. The confidence she gained and the encouragement had her learning, for the first time, sign language and to read lips (self defense with 6 mischief makers around). She was the first in her family to go to college. Someone who cares can make a difference. Hope that lady doesn't need help when she gets a little older.
                            To answer your first question, I can remember up to about half a paragraph, and through our autodictation speech recognition system that I have been spending the last year training my profile for, I can do about 200 words per minute if you include punctuation (for comparison, the average speaking speaks at between 120 and 190 words per minute, so as long as I'm not making any mistakes that need to be corrected, there is normally no problem keeping up).
                            I already know you likely weren't being called by our company, doing actual typing is fairly rare for us (because why type which tops out near 120 words per minute when the speech recognition tops out at over 200). It sounds like you got a relatively new operator who doesn't yet have confidence in their memory, most likely they knew what you said, but haven't been doing it long enough to know that they know what you said.
                            As far as switching halfway through a call, that is a lot more common than you think, at least twice a day I'll either hand the call off to someone or receive a hand off from someone... and that's just the ones that we have to do for people who have ended their shift or are getting close to the maximum amount of time they can be late for a break. There is always also the people that we have to hand off before we even start a call because they requested a different gender operator than who they were routed to or a different language operator.

And I do have to say thank you for what you did for your mom's friend's daughter... these people have it hard enough without having to deal with douchebag parents. It is amazing how much we take for granted that just doesn't work. Things like I can at any time pick up my phone and call Big Daddy's Pizza (I use them as an example because they don't accept online orders) and order myself a Nasty Boy pizza (those are so good, if y'alls ever come to salt lake should try one) and know that the person on the other end won't have any problem taking the order. As a deaf person, even if I've type out my order in advance so all I have to do is press send when the relay operator has finished explaining relay, it is going to take two or three attempts at calling just to get someone on the line who isn't going to think we're a telemarketer and hang up, once we get that person on the line it is going to take another minute or two to get them to understand what is going on (or at least get them to understand enough that we can just get this call over with and on with life). Then, even already having everything ready, there is an inherent lag in the system (even at 200 words per minute, it isn't instant, and their is delay in the actual back and forth of message transmission still). And then finally once that ordeal is done with, rather than like a hearing person being able to just wait til they hear a knock, they have to sit at a window and wait and watch for the person (well, sometimes they can arrange for the driver to text them so they only have to wait at the door after the driver lets them know he's parked rather than the whole time, but still more than a hearing person would have to sit and wait at the door).
                            I don't use that example because Big Daddy's has horrible service, on the contrary, their service is amazing, but their staff has the same problem as everywhere else, most of them don't know any deaf people and while intellectually they may know that deaf people exist, until you have any interaction with them it is sadly out of sight, out of mind. These are the problems they have at a good place (that hasn't dealt with deaf customers before... a good place that has dealt with deaf customers is a different story, but still a bigger hassle than a hearing person making the same call). This is just one example, now imagine that for every time you had to contact someone and their wasn't an option to do it by text or internet.
                            Add to this that a lot of the bad places, the employees can't wrap their heads around why a deaf person is calling them... after all, they can't do anything to make them not deaf (because, you know deaf people don't eat, work, go on vacations, rent homes, watch TV or movies, or any other "normal" activity, right ). So, having even one person who sees them as a person and not a disability can go a long way.
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                              Smiley, when you're relaying, can you remember more than 3 words in a row? The last relay call I took, the operators (they switched halfway in) literally couldn't seem to remember more than three words.
                              Sounds like you got an operator from the same place I dealt with earlier this week. The operator actually got quite snarky with me when I was starting to respond with an "I would be happy to help you with that... etc" to the customer. I was speaking slowly and got out "I would be.." before the operator cut in with, "Ma'am, you need to slow down! You are talking too fast!" I was talking quite slowly, and pausing to match the speed of the typing, but that really irritated me. It was all in the tone.
                              "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Working...
                              X