This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

And then finally once that ordeal is done with, rather than like a hearing person being able to just wait til they hear a knock, they have to sit at a window and wait and watch for the person (well, sometimes they can arrange for the driver to text them so they only have to wait at the door after the driver lets them know he's parked rather than the whole time, but still more than a hearing person would have to sit and wait at the door).
    Luckily, there are ways around that for some people. My friend has the cutest little dog companion (trained and with official jacket to wear when out and about) who lets her know when the doorbell rings, or someone knocks, or when she forgets a kettle on the stove and sets the smoke alarm off, etc.
    Of course, not all deaf people are as lucky to have a four-footed helper.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Just.....WOW!!! The worst I've ever experienced is "I don't want to talk to no deaf moron" *click* (not a family member)

I feel so sorry for the child.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        HU: No, and I don't intend to. That freak my daughter adopted can talk to me when she learns how to communicate like a human.
        She IS communicating like a human!!

The assorted sign languages, including the blind/deaf touch languages derived from the one developed for Helen Keller, are human communication. They have complex grammars, extensive vocabularies, and are no less sophisticated than verbal languages.

I'm sorry - this has made me so full of RAGE that anything more I have to say would be either obscene or require moving to Fratching.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I don't think this person would've liked me, I'm 100% deaf in one ear but do have pretty good hearing in my other ear.

Still, I don't understand this person. What makes them think that this child is any less of a human because they are deaf?
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

My former brother-in-law is legally deaf & blind, has hearing aids but... They don't do much. We always did (he's the only one of the family I still keep in touch with) and do treat him just like a normal person. Yeah, OK, so we gave him a lot more leeway than the other guys
            Anyways, one time he invited his 'friends' from the deaf school over (note: He's about a year younger than me, this is a flat with several ppl our age, and they're our age (20s) too). They hung out in the lounge, sign-talking and stuff.
            They were pretty stand-off-ish at first, I guess they thought we were going to be... weird or something. Cauz of Terry, we weren't - we were just "let the guy hang out with his friends!" - but eventually we started coming in & going "do you guys want a drink?" & stuff like that.
            We'd sign a little bit (Terry'd teach us signs, but mainly the insulting ones ) and make eye-contact so they could lip-read, and basically, just acted like normal.
            They were BLOWN AWAY. Just being treated like normal, everyday adults/teenagers - it was awesome to see how stoked they were.
            Made me sad to think how other people must treat them
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
              I don't think this person would've liked me, I'm 100% deaf in one ear but do have pretty good hearing in my other ear.
              She wouldn't like me either. I have some hearing loss, mainly because I had several bad ear infections when I was younger. I'm not deaf, but occasionally I don't hear everything. However I have a feeling that she'd have problems with my dad. He's totally deaf on his right side. Even a hearing aid won't help him. When he lost his hearing, he was playing soccer. Another player accidentally tripped him...and his head hit the ground He's been deaf ever since. Dad's had to take a *lot* of shit over the years because of it. Hello asshole, he's not being rude, and he's not ignoring you...he can't fucking hear you!
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever heard.

The grandchild should be glad that he/she doesn't have to deal with this asshole.

Wow
                Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Okay. Now it makes perfect sense why it's considered child abuse in Sweden to not learn sign language if your child is deaf.
                  The law is something like, "You get a free nanny for a year if your baby is deaf, and if you don't make efforts to learn/teach/communicate with your baby, then your baby is taken away and placed with someone else." I heard of this in my psycholinguistics course.
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                  X