This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls like Action Movies too

I broke my No Black Friday rule today, and went to a major appliance retailer, iihregg, to look at their deals on a new TV.

I've been lusting over the plasma screen tvs ever since they came out. But my big honking 32" CRT works just fine, and I really don't neeeed to replace it. But I've been a good little saver this year, and I decided to treat myself.

I did a lot of research on plasmas vs LCD/LED, and looked at the ratings on Consumer Reports and other venues to find a good quality TV, and about what the price should be. I've been hitting a number of stores to compare picture quality.

I'd settled on a Panasonic model, and went to see what the BF deals would be like.

And was so totally disappointed. The prices were about what they were before BF. Evil Empryss went with me to do a return and replace (she got sold the wrong item for the rebate they gave her and didn't want to get hosed when she submitted the paperwork--to their credit it, they swapped out the item and gave her the rebate in house). She told me the prices had been lower earlier in the day; she and her hubby had been looking at many of the same models earlier that very day. So apparently, once the rush died down they marked up at least some of the prices.

I did notice a ton of boxed TVs of the 720p variety that hadn't sold.

But I digress.

After my initial disappointment in pricing, I went to find EE so we could leave. She chased me off and told me to go back looking at TVs until she was done with her return (apparently whatever the item is, is to be my Christmas present this year).

So I started looking at the plasma 3D models, and noted the price difference on several was not much different than the regular plasma's I'd been looking at. Hmmm.

While I quickly do some research on CR, a sales man comes up and tries his best sales pitch. He doesn't take the polite brush off of "I'm just looking, thanks." He is persistent.

So I point out the model I'd originally been looking at, but didn't mention my disappointment in the price.

Salesguy: Do you have a digital camera?
    Me: Uh, yeah. *I'm thinking, what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?*
    Salesguy (SG): Well, that model has an SD card reader. You can put the card from your camera into the TV, and look at your photos on the TV.
    Me: Uhm. Ok. *Why would I buy a TV for that?*
    SG: Were you looking for 720p or 1080p? *He must have sensed something in my reaction.*
    Me: 1080p. I like action movies, and may use it for gaming.
    SG: Then 1080p is the way to go. Did I mention, that with the SD card, you won't have to have your friends look over your shoulder? You can let them see the photos large sized in your living room!
    Me: Yeah, well, I really plan to watch a lot of action movies. *Dude, did you not just hear what I said?*
    SG: ----
    Me: ---- Well, I'm just going to keep looking.
    SG: OK, but I'd really like to sell you a TV today.
    Me: I'll let you know. *NOT!*

I'm a bit annoyed. Girls like action movies and sports, too! I felt like I'd been patronized by the fixation on looking at still photos on a TV. Which, btw, I could do without an SD card as that particular model I was looking at was Wi Fi ready

Gah. Guys are the only ones who know something about technology!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

I was told by store manager that we were losing money on every TV we sold today, so at least we didn't jack up our prices.

We didn't sell too many TVs. At least not while I was there this morning.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I action movies! Especially Steven Segal action movies.

You will not believe the amount of blank stares I get from males & females alike when I mention my action movies preference.

And sorry to hear that you did not get a new TV Panacea. Maybe next year (or next sale).
      And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

That douche of a salesman sound like the type that would keep pointing out the mirrors on a new car "so you can put on your makeup on".
        GFY

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          I was told by store manager that we were losing money on every TV we sold today, so at least we didn't jack up our prices.

We didn't sell too many TVs. At least not while I was there this morning.
          It's a combination of factors, I think. The producers made too many that the stores now have to push. The stores ordered too many thinking demand would be higher than it is.

I've been waiting for a perfect storm like this to get a deal on a plasma (sorry, guys).

Then there's the issue of 3D. Demand was way lower than expected, which didn't surprise me at all; no one wants to wear the glasses and there just isn't enough content to justify the originally astronomical prices.

But if I can get a 3D plasma for the same price as a regular plasma, I'll probably do that. I'll be looking again on Cyber Monday

Quoth MiloMorai View Post
          That douche of a salesman sound like the type that would keep pointing out the mirrors on a new car "so you can put on your makeup on".
          He wasn't a total douche. Just clueless. But I still get a lot of this from male salesmen or service men who just don't seem to get that there are plenty of women who know how tech works.

I got it from the guy who sold me my car. I got it from the last time I took my old car to the dealer for repairs (tried to push unnecessary repair work on me). I get it when I go to buy appliances or other electronics.

The ONLY time I don't get it is when I go into the Apple Store. Go figure.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Because I think the people at the Apple store have learned something called

I've dealt with it too. I just have my look and if they still treat me like I don't know what I want...well, money talks, bullshit walks.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
              I'm a bit annoyed. Girls like action movies and sports, too! I felt like I'd been patronized by the fixation on looking at still photos on a TV. Which, btw, I could do without an SD card as that particular model I was looking at was Wi Fi ready

Gah. Guys are the only ones who know something about technology!
              My biggest pet peeve, as I'm sure I've posted about before

I used to get so tired of going out looking at computers, and salesmen would talk to my husband, even when I was the one asking questions
              Hubby would usually make some smart a** comment (depending on how obnoxious the guy was getting) about me being the one who made their living with computers, or how he didn't have a clue about computers cause he had me to know all that. And yet, there were still times where they continued to talk to him til he actually just walked off while they were in mid-sentence and left me alone with the guy. I even considered having my summa cum lauda computer degree copied, reduced to credit card size, & laminated I've been putting up with this since the very early 80's, and though it's gotten better, I'm now facing people who assume that the short, round slightly over middle aged woman can't possibly know how do do more than trade grandkids photos on email, when in reality I was writing programs used on aircraft carriers when they were in diapers.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                ...when in reality I was writing programs used on aircraft carriers when they were in diapers.
                So we can call you Grace?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Just mentioning, but I've been told that a 1080p resolution is only relevant if you want to watch BlueRay movies in HD. If you have an average DVD player, a 720p TV will do just as fine.
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                    I've been lusting over the plasma screen tvs ever since they came out. But my big honking 32" CRT works just fine, and I really don't neeeed to replace it. But I've been a good little saver this year, and I decided to treat myself.

I did a lot of research on plasmas vs LCD/LED, and looked at the ratings on Consumer Reports and other venues to find a good quality TV, and about what the price should be. I've been hitting a number of stores to compare picture quality.
                    check amazon and newegg on monday-a few years ago my husband scored a samsung 46" LED tv for around half price(this was when LED was brand new-he paid under $700 for it), including "white glove" delivery and set up on "cyber monday"
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I was offered a sales job at an IIHregg earlier this year for the sole purpose of having a girl to be able to interact with the growing number of women electronics consumers. I didn't want to be commission so I turned it down, but I left impressed of that forward thinking store manager.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        So we can call you Grace?
                        LOL, I'm not quite that old. She was an amazing woman, though, I bet she could tell some tales of fighting to be taken seriously that would put us all to shame.

For anyone who doesn't know, Grace Hopper was both a Rear Admiral & a pioneer in computers in the 40's & later.. She was instrumental in inventing the first compiled computer language, COBOL.

Sigh, I was just a lowly civilian contractor, an applications programmer writing programs for the ships (in COBOL, actually) in the 80s.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                          Just mentioning, but I've been told that a 1080p resolution is only relevant if you want to watch BlueRay movies in HD. If you have an average DVD player, a 720p TV will do just as fine.
                          Even so, if that is the case I would still get the 1080p. It is cheaper to upgrade the player later, if you plan to.
                          Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                            My DVD player is very old (11 years) and I'm actually surprised that it still works since it was a very inexpensive model that I got on sale (it is a clam shell style that I haven't seen since, and I love it but don't expect it to last forever). I'm planning to upgrade to Blue Ray when it goes since most Blue Ray players will also play standard DVDs. 1080p is also good for gaming, and I have some plans to use the WiFi to use my TV as a giant computer monitor for playing Skryim

I've also read that in the larger plasma sizes, you can tell a difference between 1080p and 720p, for fast moving video like action movies and sports. If I were buying a smaller (37" or less) model, I'd go with 720p because they are half the price. But I want at least a 50" for the living room

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            check amazon and newegg on monday-a few years ago my husband scored a samsung 46" LED tv for around half price(this was when LED was brand new-he paid under $700 for it), including "white glove" delivery and set up on "cyber monday"
                            Yeah, I've been looking at Amazon. I'm planning to head back to iihregg on Monday, maybe another electronics place, to try and find actual examples of the models I'm looking at on Amazon because I prefer to see actual screen quality before I buy a TV

Comment

Another possibility was the TV with the SD reader had a 'sales reward' connected with it, and that was the only feature worth pushing, or the main point he'd used to sell it before

Comment

Working...
                              X