X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past the Point of No Return

Background

In my previous post, I ranted about my sister, Lynn, and her husband (link above). This is a bit of an update to that.

So it's been about 4 months since the last time I discussed this. In that time I have had no contact with Lynn, and merely peripheral contact with my niece and nephew (my mom included my name on the X-mas gifts she gave them).

My mom has been having a really hard time dealing with this. She has tried her best to stay in the lives of her grandchildren (sending X-mas gifts, and Valentine's Day gifts, and going to my niece's X-mas pageant). She has received NO acknowledgement that the gifts were even received. It is 2 months since X-mas and she still hasn't gotten a Thank You note, or phone call.

And the way she was treated at the pageant was horrid. She was ignored by Lynn and her husband, and barely acknowledged by the FIL.

Still, she insists on doing this stuff, because in the phone call where Lynn made her vile accusations about me, she also accused my mom of not wanting to be involved in the lives of her grandchildren. So, now especially, she is determined to prove them wrong.

As for me, I wrote two letters detailing the reasons for my anger, and what Lynn needed to do in order to have any sort of relationship with me. While she did send an e-mail response, she didn't address the issues I mentioned in my letters. And, so, as it has been far longer than I should have given her, she is now officially past the point of no return. Even if she did apologize now, it would have no meaning to me.

I have made the decision not to send any gifts to the children, only contributing to the bank accounts my mom has set up in their names.

So, now, comes the true purpose in writing this post (about time I got to the point, eh ). Am I doing the right thing in distancing myself not only from my sister and her husband, but from my niece and nephew?

My sister made it clear that in order to have a relationship with her kids, I would need to have a relationship with her as well, and that is something I am no longer willing to consider, for obvious reasons.

Well, let me know what you think.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

I don't think you have any choice in this. You may try to exercise one, but Lynn's going to continue her crap no matter what you do. I'd have to say drop it and hope the children make it out of childhood ok.

Remember, this isn't your fault.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oh, I know it's not my fault.

The whole situation just gets me down.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

The sad thing is that the children are the ones who will really suffer from their mother's nastiness, not being able to see their family,

I think you are doing the right thing. Hopefully someday your nephew and niece will realize why you had to step away from them.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I feel bad for your sister's kids also. You did what you had to do for your sake. You shouldn't feel bad for doing it. Your sister painted you into a corner, and cutting off all ties was the right thing to do.

I also hope that, when they are older, your niece and nephew can understand why you did what you had to do.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

When your sister's children move out of home, seek contact with them. Find out what sort of people they're turning out to be, what sort of potential they have. See if you can be family to /them/.

Unfortunately, for now it's not possible to be family to them without being family to your sister.

I have the same problem, except that the gender is swapped. My problem relative is my brother.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have a bit of experience with this with my ex-husbands nieces and nephews. He and I were married forever, so of course I consider them mine.

I absolutely DESPISE their parents, but I've sucked it up for many years in order to maintain a great relationship with the nieces/nephews, and I don't regret it.

It's very, very hard - but I think it would be alot worse if I was unable to have this relationship with them.

You are picking between two bad choices, hon. Personally, I'd choose the kids.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

You need to do what's best for you. Your dignity isn't going to be worth having to be around people like that and your sister's kids aren't able to have a relationship with you without her until they're no longer minors. And can you guarantee even if you did spend time with them that she wouldn't do the same things she's done in the past to you or turn her kids against you when you're not there?
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Working...
                X