X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seraph vs.... A Stick

Stick won.

For Easter, I managed to slightly impale my calf onto a stick. Best part was that my husband didn't understand what was going on, and proceeded to walk away without me. And then stopped halfway across the field we were traversing, asked what happened, and then continued again.

And then stopped on the other side of the field and asked "Wait, does this mean you want a first aid kit?"

After waiting about five minutes, I realized he wasn't coming back, even though I'd replied in the affirmative, LOL. So I hobbled across the field to his grandma's house, after pulling the stick out (stupid thing ruined my one good pair of khaki pants too!), and kinda flopped in the hallway, whimpering.

Hubby's grandma proceeded to march me to the bathroom, for first aid.

- slightly squicky part, highlight for it-

where she pulled the puncture open and then poured hydrogen peroxide straight in. That was both painful and extremely weird feeling, with all the bubbles forming INSIDE THE CALF. /geh

During it all, she told me to suck it up, she'd seen worse. Hardcore grandma is hardcore!

Stick only went in a little over half an inch, maaaaybe 3/4", by my guess, can't really tell, but its painful as get out.

I did, however, go back for said stick (was easy to find, it had blood on it, LOL), and proceeded to smack it against a tree trunk to break it out of revenge.

....wherein one of the pieces ricocheted off and pinged me in the face. :<

STUPID STICKS.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

It is a Stick of Ebil and must be DESTROYED.

You must take it to the fires of Mount Doom and dispose of it there.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
      It is a Stick of Ebil and must be DESTROYED.

You must take it to the fires of Mount Doom and dispose of it there.
      Sooo, did you burn it or feed it to a beaver afterward? Hmm, but then the beaver might get a taste for blood and become mutant killer beaver!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        Hmm, but then the beaver might get a taste for blood and become mutant killer beaver!
        And then it will BITE YOU IN THE LEG.

Comment

To start off with, . That must have hurt.

Second, (and I say this with care and sincerity) Seraph, you are a KLUTZ!
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Understatement of the Year 2012.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
              I did, however, go back for said stick (was easy to find, it had blood on it, LOL), and proceeded to smack it against a tree trunk to break it out of revenge.
              When I started to read this part, I thought you were going to say you went to get the stick in order to whack your husband upside the head with it.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                She serves up so much PWNAGE on a regular basis that the Law of Averages states the deficiencies must come somewhere.

I give you: Seraph, Enemy of Nature.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That would explain why nature has tried to kill me on so many occasions... <.<

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    Sooo, did you burn it or feed it to a beaver afterward?
                    Yes, because her first two encounters with the stick went SO well!

[Seraph's Area News:]

"A local woman was found cowering in a drainage ditch, surrounded by rabid beavers, apparently in an effort to avoid immolation after her attempt at burning A STICK went awry, resulting in a county-wide brush fire. Film at 11."

Hope you heal quickly S, and Go Team Grandma!

Comment

Evil stick indeed! So glad it wasn't worse - I had a piece of bamboo as thick as my thumb go several inches up my thigh last summer (there's a thread about it here).

Keep it clean!
                      Last edited by DeltaSierra; 04-10-2012, 12:54 AM.
                      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I'm sorry, Seraph. This is what I thought of when I read this

Forgive me!
                        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          [Seraph's Area News:]

"A local woman was found cowering in a drainage ditch, surrounded by rabid beavers, apparently in an effort to avoid immolation after her attempt at burning A STICK went awry, resulting in a county-wide brush fire. Film at 11."
                          I just about fell out of my chair laughing.

Quoth Nurian View Post
                          I'm sorry, Seraph. This is what I thought of when I read this

Forgive me!
                          D: NOT MY EYES!

Comment

For future reference, re puncture wounds:

* Leave the object in the wound. I'm not kidding: the object can be blocking an otherwise damaged blood vessel. Also, the act of removing the object tells the doctor how deep the wound is, and what infectious substances might have entered the body.

* Wrap enough bandaging or clean fabric around the wound to keep the puncturing object still and blood flow slowed if not stopped.

* Take patient directly to a doctor.

Source: 'Australian First Aid' by St Johns' Ambulance. As filtered by me. Also, it's an old edition. If Panacea or one of our other medicos gives updated advice, believe them instead.

See, the problem with puncture wounds is that they can have deep infections, rather than surface infections. Most people can treat everyday surface infections with no problems - which is why I don't bother with the above for splinters and other 'puncture' injuries that don't fully break the skin.

Anyway: Seraph? Hon? I'm pretty sure you live in the US so this might be costlier advice than you would like, but ... take the wound to a doctor. Please!
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              For future reference, re puncture wounds:

* Leave the object in the wound. I'm not kidding: the object can be blocking an otherwise damaged blood vessel. Also, the act of removing the object tells the doctor how deep the wound is, and what infectious substances might have entered the body.

<snippers>

Anyway: Seraph? Hon? I'm pretty sure you live in the US so this might be costlier advice than you would like, but ... take the wound to a doctor. Please!
                              You'd think after reading Where the Red Fern Grows, I'd know that first part. /facepalm

And yeah, taking it to the doc would be extremely costly to us right now, so unfortunately....gonna wing it for a bit. I've been keeping the wound clean, and monitoring closely for any redness or soreness, beyond the whole "ouchies, fresh-ish wound" thing. I've had a surprisingly disturbing amount of infected cuts/wounds/gashes before, so thankfully, I know what signs to keep an eye out for. And I promise you, if any of them so much as PEEP, I'm heading to a doc.

Comment

Working...
                              X