Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had more food poisoning from my mother's leftovers than I ever have from restaurants. Mom never really accepted the idea that Tupperware, while good plastic storage containers, are not stasis pods that will keep food undecayed for an indeterminate length of time. And for someone as educated in food and nutrition and kitchen hygiene as she was, it was a bizarre blind spot.

I don't eat leftovers unless *I* cooked it, last night. I have more memories of barfing the first 20 years of my life than I do of anything else.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
      I agree that instantaneous food poisoning story is full of crap. Hell, any food ailment takes a day or two for symptoms to show up.
      From what I recall of my Food Hygiene course (many years ago) symptoms can occur as quickly as half hour after eating the affected food but that's one of the more virulent bugs that's been having a helluva party on your meal, 4-48 hours is more 'normal'

Quoth Syriilord View Post
      Also, speaking of actors who's natural accent is vastly different from his most recognised role: David Tennant. I never heard his actual accent (Scottish) until after he finished Dr. Who....
      He used it in the "Tooth and Claw" episode
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post

He used it in the "Tooth and Claw" episode
        Yeah, but that doesn't count 'cause he was only pretending to be Scottish
        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
          House. Definitely House.

Remember, it's never Lupus. Unless it is......

Also, speaking of actors who's natural accent is vastly different from his most recognised role: David Tennant. I never heard his actual accent (Scottish) until after he finished Dr. Who....
          Remember Bob Hoskins, the detective in Roger Rabbit, with that old 40's ganster type talk? When we moved to the U.K. and I heard him speak with his real voice on a TV show I was totally blown away, I hadn't even realized he was British til then.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
            I have had more food poisoning from my mother's leftovers than I ever have from restaurants.
            My aunt used to be this way, and probably still is...>_> I just try not to get leftovers from her if I can help it.

Ya see, one of the grand traditions of many families here (and, I'm sure, elsewhere) is that if you go to "visit" with family, you go home with a bag of excess grub...Sometimes canned, sometimes not, often leftovers. Most people would just give over the leftovers from whatever was eaten during the visit, or extras if they recently bought too much of something...

The thing is, my dear aunt has almost no conception of the fact that food goes BAD after awhile...And she has often had no problem with giving away grub that, had we not been over for a visit, she would have simply tossed. She has actually been known to say that the thought something was "just fine" because it was only a little bit green She was apparently also in denial about it, insisting that lunch meat that expired 2 weeks prior was bought 2 days prior, or that the meatballs she whipped up a week ago were made fresh that day...

The absolute worst was when she had leftover party sammiches in the freezer from the Way of Sub (a TON of them) that she swore up and down were leftovers from the day before. They made my Dad and I very sick, to the point where we almost headed to the hospital (and probably should have; we only ate them because we were literally in a "no food left in the house but crackers" situation due to lack of funds; we were grateful to get what we could). When I mentioned it to one of her kids a couple days later, said offspring's eyes bugged out then and told me that the party in question was over a MONTH ago at the time >_>

Fortunately, she's either gotten much better about this, or is tired of my carefully inspecting everything she hands me ...She actually starts on the teasing about green food before I do these days -- she caught on at last!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Fortunately, she's either gotten much better about this, or is tired of my carefully inspecting everything she hands me ...She actually starts on the teasing about green food before I do these days -- she caught on at last!
              If you can't eat it before it slithers off your plate, go hungry.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                If you can't eat it before it slithers off your plate, go hungry.
                Maybe I'd just been reading too much Hitchhiker's Guide or something, and had been hoping that eating it cured that virulent plague I'd unknowingly picked up in my interstellar travels that would have killed off half of the hemisphere and made the other half sterile and insane...>_>
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X