Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the early 1990s a schoolbus driver (who I barely knew) asked me to buy him cigarettes at a corner shop I certainly didn't know. He threatened not to drive me home (I was the last person on the route so no witnesses) and I was too afraid to tell anyone. Luckily it only happened a couple of times, but still...
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      My dad would often send me to the store to do the same. This was late 70s/early 80's for me. I grew up in a small town, where everyone knew each other. And just to make sure, he'd call down to the store to let them know he was sending me there for that purpose. I can't imagine any store would go for that sort of thing these days.
      In the early '80's (when I started driving), my dad would dispatch me to his favorite tobacconist (the one who carried his special blend of pipe tobacco) after calling them. I only had to sign for the package as he had a tab (line of credit) there. I too find it hard to believe that this arragement would fly today.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I had the opposite . . . my mom would go to the store and buy my cigarettes. She'd even ask what brand I wanted and pick 'em up with the rest of the groceries. But then a carton of Eve Light 120's was around 7.00 back then (1985ish.)

When I started working a few years later (1988) I could walk next door to the Phar-Mor and buy a pack of Satin menthol for $1.00 (including sales tax.) A carton of those was around $10.00 even.

Sometimes I'd go in myself and get them (especially if I was with the Dad and stepmom for the weekend - I either had mine packed already or I had ready cash to purchase mine myself) and I never encountered any issues with it whatsoever.

But then in the mid 80's, NOBODY asked for ID for tobacco purchases

Guarantee ya that would not fly now nowhere that I know of.
        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-24-2012, 11:23 PM.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          But then a carton of Eve Light 120's was around 7.00 back then (1985ish.)

When I started working a few years later (1988) I could walk next door to the Phar-Mor and buy a pack of Satin menthol for $1.00 (including sales tax.) A carton of those was around $10.00 even.
          That was some time ago alright....you would be lucky to buy a pack of name-brands for that price here in Chicago today.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You know, we really need to get radio stations to play Jester's hit song, "Show ID"....

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              That was some time ago alright....you would be lucky to buy a pack of name-brands for that price here in Chicago today.
              What is the average price in the Chicago area these days??? Like $9 a pack now???? I believe in the NY are they are bordering on $11 per pack

I remember in the mid 1960's my Dad complained he had to pay the outrageous sum of 25 cents a pack. He even drove an extra 5 miles to get that price out in the county.

OH yeah and the price of gas was also 25 cents a gallon.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My whole life what I remember most about my Dad was that he always and I mean always dipped Skoal, just loose fine cut wintergreen. Bought it by the roll and I think there was 12 cans to a roll and he kept the roll in the fridge (which Mom didn't care for but....) When he passed away right before the funeral home closed his casket for the last time I slipped a can of Skoal in his jacket pocket. Mom gave me one of those disapproving Mom looks and I replied you never know he might want another dip.
                Many a Sunday afternoon my Dad would give me a $5 bill and send me to the book store to buy him a roll of Skoal. It was a two mile walk but I didn't mind because I got to keep the change. The book store was the only thing open on Sunday's so several adults hung out there and normally I wasn't allowed even within sight of the place because it also sold dirty books and magazines such stuff not fit for the eyes of a child. But I'd march right in wait my turn and get the Skoal and a nickel Hershey bar pocket the other .25 cents and beat feet home.
                One time my Mom's oldest brother saw me coming out of there and pull over whipped my hindend because he knew my Mom didn't allow me in such a place and then took me home. Mom gave me another whipping before I could get her to believe Dad had sent me down there. I think I was 6 or 7 at the time and was the late 50's.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                  My whole life what I remember most about my Dad was that he always and I mean always dipped Skoal, just loose fine cut wintergreen. Bought it by the roll and I think there was 12 cans to a roll and he kept the roll in the fridge (which Mom didn't care for but....) When he passed away right before the funeral home closed his casket for the last time I slipped a can of Skoal in his jacket pocket. Mom gave me one of those disapproving Mom looks and I replied you never know he might want another dip.
                  My late grandmother dipped snuff for decades. She had an old Tube Rose can that had seen so much use, it had turned an almost black-brown by the time I was a kid in the 70's.

Mom and I put it in the casket with her, filled with her Tube Rose, when she passed in 1986. And we had the same reasoning - she might wake up and want a dip.

I think we also included a spit can in there too, IIRC. Didn't want her messing up the pink satin lining in her casket (and her casket was hard to find b/c she was a 6 foot 1 woman and large framed. Funeral home only had 2 styles of casket that she could fit into.)
                  Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-29-2012, 01:27 PM.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    (He smoked on the bus, too, and nobody thought anything of that either. I did scold him once for tossing his butt out the window, though.)
                    I thought "throwing someone's butt off the bus" was a figure of speech (slightly more polite term than "throwing their ass off the bus"), and that the driver would do it to someone else, not HIMSELF. I also thought his butt would be attached to the rest of him, so how did he avoid going completely out the window?

These people must confuse a lot of psychiatrists, since they've got no ID but plenty of EGO.
                    Last edited by wolfie; 09-30-2012, 02:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the second comment
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

cigarette Butt, I would assume. Though the visual of someone throwing themselves out the window like that...

Comment

Working...
                      X