This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but I STILL can't sell to you

I got two customers today who either didn't have ID or their ID was expired. They both: 1. Tried to talk me into selling to them, and 2. Tried to have their friend (WHO WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THEM) buy the age-restricted item for them.

Look people, you need ID to buy alcohol and tobacco. If you don't have a legitimate form of ID, then GTFO and stop bugging me. Also, please don't be an idiot and ask your buddy (who is literally standing right in front of me) if they'll buy it for you. Cause, you know, now I have to tell your friend that they can't buy it, either. Surprise, surprise.

Amen, brother!

Comment

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. WHY - *deep breath*

Why do these people not have their ID on them at all times? And how do they not know it's expires? Age restrictions on these items are NOT brand new, they've been around since before I was born and for the love of the Emperor of Mankind --- *second deep breath*

The stupidity. It hurts. It hurts so much. Make it stop.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

At least our customers have gotten used to it. Mostly.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
          Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. WHY - *deep breath*

Why do these people not have their ID on them at all times? And how do they not know it's expires? Age restrictions on these items are NOT brand new, they've been around since before I was born and for the love of the Emperor of Mankind --- *second deep breath*

The stupidity. It hurts. It hurts so much. Make it stop.

I can actually remember taking a note to the corner store and getting cigarettes for my mom. And yet, even I am aware of the current laws on age-restricted products, and I carry my ID, and am always prepared to show it, even though anyone who seriously thought I looked too young wouldn't be allowed out of the asylum alone.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Don't fool yourself, Ambrosia. They know damn well their ID is expired the majority of the time. They're just hoping ot find a sucker who will take it anyway. They're also SOL. Moonsenogger, good for you for sticking to your guns. ID or GTFO is the best policy!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I feel your pain. Oh, how I feel your pain! My favorite is when they go out to their car to send in another person - Um, I CAN see you though that big plate glass window!

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                Don't fool yourself, Ambrosia. They know damn well their ID is expired the majority of the time. They're just hoping ot find a sucker who will take it anyway. They're also SOL. Moonsenogger, good for you for sticking to your guns. ID or GTFO is the best policy!
                yeah like one girl who tried to get me to take her expired id for a credit app. i never actually bothered looking at her age cos it was expired anyway but i'm betting it was under 18. (can't run the app at that age - i mean sure they can have credit cards but mommy/daddy/guardian have to cosign)

Comment

Since starting graveyard shift, ID issues are one of my biggest pet peeves. I've had two people with expired ID's. First dude just looked at me all sad like and left quietly, the second dude raised his voice and said 'I don't understand why you won't take it! It doesn't make me not 21!' I just go 'Sorry, it's the law.' He turned to his girlfriend who walked up then and said huffily 'We'll have to go somewhere else.' Cue me giggling evilly.
                  (Sorry for the mini thread jack.)
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

One time I tried to buy something, and didn't notice that my ID was expired.

It was so embarrassing! Entirely my screwup, and my fault for not being attentive. I apologized to the cashier and cleared my schedule to go to the DMV the very next day.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      I can actually remember taking a note to the corner store and getting cigarettes for my mom.
                      Back in the 1960's I used to sometimes go to the Mom and Pop store on the corner and buy cigarettes for my parents. NO note needed and I was about 8 or 9 years old. AND a pack costs 35 cents for Kents (I think)
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        60's I used to sometimes go to the Mom and Pop store on the corner and buy cigarettes for my parents. . . . NO note needed. . . pack costs 35 cents for Kents
                        Ditto this except Chesterfields (God mom, HOW did you smoke those things?)

The worst thing about these threads is that it doesn't even matter if it's a law. It is a store RULE. If the clerk asks me ANYTHING as a condition for a purchase, I can comply, or not, and leave. Because it is a law, AND a well known one, there is even less excuse.

Comment

Back in the 1960's I used to sometimes go to the Mom and Pop store on the corner and buy cigarettes for my parents. NO note needed and I was about 8 or 9 years old. AND a pack costs 35 cents for Kents (I think)
                          IN the 80's/early 90's I would do similar to the local corner store. But the people there knew me well, and knew mom, so while it was technically illegal, they were willing to take the risk it seemed.

Of course the store is long closed now (area demographics changed), and mom quit smoking ages ago, but I'm sure for the regulars some of the stores in town would still let it happen.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                            One time I tried to buy something, and didn't notice that my ID was expired.

It was so embarrassing! Entirely my screwup, and my fault for not being attentive. I apologized to the cashier and cleared my schedule to go to the DMV the very next day.
                            Same here. Turns out I was driving on an expired license for six months:

Back in the '70s, when I was in about 3d grade, our school bus driver (Joe) would stop at the elevated station, give one of the kids on the bus some cash, and send him to the newsstand for a pack of Camels. Nobody thought anything of it then. (He smoked on the bus, too, and nobody thought anything of that either. I did scold him once for tossing his butt out the window, though.)

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                              IN the 80's/early 90's I would do similar to the local corner store. But the people there knew me well, and knew mom, so while it was technically illegal, they were willing to take the risk it seemed.
                              My dad would often send me to the store to do the same. This was late 70s/early 80's for me. I grew up in a small town, where everyone knew each other. And just to make sure, he'd call down to the store to let them know he was sending me there for that purpose. I can't imagine any store would go for that sort of thing these days.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X