This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for that moirae.
    I have been to korea several times before when i was a wee little child, so i dont count that but i did go once for a month when i was 12 under a school program with a family ive never met before. Which is something that's confusing me because why would my aunt be ok and arrange it all for me when i was 12 but not when i wanna do it for a teaching experience and career booster? (she didn't know the family either)
    Also, I've been wanting to do this program for 2? 3 years, its been something I've researched and still researching on. I know there's also an... Aversion, over there to Korean Americans. Its one thing to be American (Koreans will either find Americans to be "cute" or "annoying") but then there's Korean American. I'll not only be in danger in general, I will be looked down on because im not very good at Korean. I expect for people to not be so ready to help me as they would a foreigner with no Korean skills. They'd expect me to be able to speak effectively and when I can't, they'll probably shake their heads and call me "handicapped" - favorite word by family members and Korean people in America as well.
    And also, I thought south Korea was a first world country? What do you mean its not? Im confused.

Comment

South Korea is home to some of the most prominent high-tech companies in the world - including LG and Samsung. South Korean ports can build the largest freighters in the world. As an Asian country, they do things differently than we do, but they are very much a first-world nation.

North Korea, by contrast, is a third-world nation in effect - a complete basket case which prioritises military spending and posturing over basic survival needs for it's citizens. It's extremely important to understand this difference.

The two Koreas used to be a single country. Some time before WW2, they were occupied by Japan. After the war, liberating forces from Russia and America occupied the north and south halves respectively - a broadly similar situation to Allied occupation of Germany at that time. The American half was handed back to the Korean people as a democratic state, while the Russian half was indoctrinated into the Communist system. The 1950s Korean War resulted, and technically is still ongoing - albeit under a very long ceasefire.

As far as I'm aware, South Korea would be perfectly willing to open peaceful trading with the North - but they require the North to take a more reasonable diplomatic line first, especially regarding their nuclear ambitions. And the North has singularly failed to show itself as trustworthy so far. Fortunately the occasional incidents from the North have much less effect on the death rate than road accidents.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I know the Koreas as.... On a side note, my opinion from what I know is that I doubt that real peace between the two will not be easily achieved for a long time and not without a lot casualities, either metaphorical or not.

Comment

I was stationed in South Korea for a year. Right around the 911 attacks actually. I had no fear walking around in Chinhae in anyway shape or form even at night. Granted, Chinhae also hosts a Korean Naval base so you didn't find that many weirdos.

I will agree with Seshat tho, make sure you bring lots of your own clothes. One of my most memorable experiences while I was there was walking into a lingerie shop and having this little old Korean lady come rushing up to me and grabbing at my boobs going 'Too big! Too big!'
          "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

Regarding caution: check the BBC, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), whatever the Canadian equivalent is, Reuters, and the least-biased US news on a daily basis, for news specific to Korea.
            Also, check travel advisories for Korea on a daily basis, not just the US gov's travel advisory, but those of several other English speaking countries.

SmartTraveller is the Australian one.
            Safe Travel is the NZ one.

A quick blip through a few websites on a daily basis, and you'll be aware; or at least as aware as is reasonable.

Keep one bag packed with essentials: probably the one you used as a carry-on bag. On the off chance that N. Korea tries something stupid, grab that one bag, abandon everything else, and get the hell to the airport or the embassy. If you can't make it to the US embassy for some reason, get to the embassy of an allied nation. (Aussieland, Britain, Canada, NZ... anyone allied/friendly.)

If the embassy contacts you and recommends leaving the country, do it. They never make that recommendation casually.

Make sure the US Embassy knows where you're living, and that you're working on that program. That way if there's an event in that part of Korea, they'll be aware you're there, and should try to track you down.
            And I don't mean just an attack. I mean .. oh, anything. Severe weather disasters come immediately to mind (given where I live).

Always remember that your life is what matters most; always be prepared to leave mere stuff behind.
            Last edited by Seshat; 11-24-2012, 10:51 AM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Edit to add: the embassy is there as a safety net, primarily for unpredictable or extreme problems. Sudden re-opening of hostilities, major natural disasters, that kind of thing. Similarly, if you're in a car accident or whatever, they can help with such things as notifying relatives (possibly more - that, I don't know).

They also handle the more predictable (and less extreme) circumstances such as losing your passport or driver's licence or other government issued documents; and can advise you regarding loss of plane tickets or other non-government issued documents. (They can't fix things with non-government stuff, but they can help.)
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Dear, I have three friends who went through the program, or something VERY similar to it. (it all sounds the same). They did fine.

South Korea is in a much better place now, than it was in the 80's or such.

Do it. Go for it. If you can do Japan, and prefer that, that works too.

If you need any advice on language or customs, I'm willing to help. :3 I speak Japanese fluently and study Korean /waves

Comment

Could it possibly be that your Aunt does not want to be left alone to care for your mother?

Normally, I would be right up front cheering you on to go. I think about all the possibilities that I missed out on. I don't want to see someone else make those same mistakes.

However, I think that there might be something a little deeper here. It is just a gut feeling, or maybe it is just the jalapeños I had for dinner. Try and talk to your Aunt. Find out what the real issue is.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Im fine with customs in Korea as I am Korean.
                    As for my aunt not wanting to care for my mom, no that's not it since my mom lives alone. She works 6 days a week, sometimes seven, but even though that brings ber more money, it also contributes negatively to her health.
                    My aunt legit just thinks I am a little kid and am unable to fend for myself, when clearly, after having and dealt with stalkers RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER though she doesn't realize it, proves im fine to certain degree on my own.
                    Though, her say kn whether i go or not may no longer matter because i am about to learn if im being kicked out of her house in the next hour or not...
                    SIgh...

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                      Im fine with customs in Korea as I am Korean.
                      As for my aunt not wanting to care for my mom, no that's not it since my mom lives alone. She works 6 days a week, sometimes seven, but even though that brings ber more money, it also contributes negatively to her health.
                      My aunt legit just thinks I am a little kid and am unable to fend for myself, when clearly, after having and dealt with stalkers RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER though she doesn't realize it, proves im fine to certain degree on my own.
                      Though, her say kn whether i go or not may no longer matter because i am about to learn if im being kicked out of her house in the next hour or not...
                      SIgh...
                      So why are they worried about Koreans were ten years ago being related to now?

Do you have family over there? Why discourage you so much from it if that is your heritage? /sorry for my questions

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                        So why are they worried about Koreans were ten years ago being related to now?

Do you have family over there? Why discourage you so much from it if that is your heritage? /sorry for my questions
                        Like I said, she just keeps repeating that it's dangerous and that I'll be kidnapped or something along that.

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                          Like I said, she just keeps repeating that it's dangerous and that I'll be kidnapped or something along that.
                          ...really? :/

I know a lot of people from and in Korea right now...

Its not that bad. /facepalm
                          Especially if they put you in small towns to teach.

I had a friend who went to Gimje, for example. Crime rate = nearly not even there

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                            SIgh...
                            *hugs* Why does she want to kick you out?
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                              *hugs* Why does she want to kick you out?
                              Ended up not being kicked out but, one foot is out the door. The explanation is way too long. Sorta ranted about it on my tumblr :/

Comment

Working...
                              X