The "forum not read" flag getting reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "forum not read" flag getting reset

A number of the forums seem to have the "you have not read this" flag reset most of the times I visit here. The ones that I notice the most are the first three in the list; "Site News", "Returning Members", and "New Members". When I check in each one, there are no new messages shown. And the date of the most recent post is older than my previous visit, often by a lot.

I can go into the forum and click "mark forum read", and it seems to work--but then the next time I visit, those are marked as unread again.

I have a guess about what is happening, but feel free to disregard because it is only a guess:
    The early forums in the list are often hit by spammers. The spam clean-up does a good job, but the clean-up process does not reset the "recent posts unread" flag.

Anyway, is there a reasonable fix for this, or should I just keep paying attention to the most-recent-activity field in the forum listing?

Thanks!!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

We'll look into it. Thanks!

The most-recent field on the main screen will order posts by most recently updated, even though it only shows the initial creation date.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Another data point--

My login cookie expired, so when I came to the forum page I wasn't logged in. (I didn't notice, oops!) The list of forums with unread posts seemed to be correct!

Maybe there's an issue with the "last visited" info in my profile?
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
      X