This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should NEVER see this

While browsing the forums, I happened to notice that in the header to one of my own posts, it said "wolfie is offline". Somehow the system appears to be confused, since if I were offline I wouldn't be able to be browsing the forums.

When this post appeared, it was back to the normal red "wolfie is online now", and another of my posts in a different forum showed the same thing. Looks like the boards had a "CPU burp".
    Last edited by wolfie; 08-13-2011, 06:22 PM. Reason: spotted something warranting an update
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

buh? I don't get why you shouldn't ever see it?... I mean, it is just a glitch...
    I saw it too about four or five days ago (????), I thought it was FF bein' stupid. I have an add-on or two, and Vista, so those have made things wonky in the past. >_> And I keep multiple tabs open at a time with CS.
    EDIT: and my "online" thing is orange, not red. Does that even count? :\
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

It means you're a ninja.
      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

What I've noticed is that the vBulletin software doesn't record your "current activity" until after the page is served to you. Saying your viewing thread A, then you go up to the top and click on your own profile, it'll show your current activity as "viewing thread A." If you refresh the page, it'll say "Viewing User Profile: YourName"

Also, if you don't show any new activity, then after a few minutes it records you as having gone offline, since it assumes that if you haven't navigated to a new thread or whatever after X time has gone by, that you have left the forum. It's entirely possible that if you were reading one thread for a long time (without clicking anything), your "online period" timed out, so that when you then went to another thread that had one of your posts in it, it showed you as offline, even though you weren't really.

This can also happen if you hotlink right into a thread, such as from an automated email from the forum.

I hope that makes sense.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Alright. It happened again.
          Working backwards: said I was online in a forum, noticed screwy (will post in album if desired).
          So, moved to main board. Said I was still online.
          Went into this thread (so moved 3 pages/2 pages minimum.)
          Went to post.
          Needed to log in.
          I have screenshots of first thread/initial screwyness, which said I was online, but the "username/pass" box was all "plz to sign in" and the times were nine hours ahead, but said GMT.

EDIT: was not on for more than 15 minutes. posted in those 15, probably less than 10.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

It takes a few minutes for it to refresh the list of who's online. I've seen it show spammers that I've IP-Banned as still being online for a little while after I've banned them, which isn't possible.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
            X