Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frickin' laser beams - US Navy version!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/...ships-in-2014/

This is somewhat interesting to me, because my first ship was conceptualized with lasers at one point. Over 20 years ago. (They had a painting of her onboard the ship firing off lasers from where the 5-inch guns are mounted.)

but it looks like lasers are back. interesting.

Very interesting, and very cool! Bet you liked the little dig they got in on the Air Force too.

Comment

ooo? i missed that part.

*goes back to see*
      eh, no... that'd be too cruel to dig on them over.

now bashing the army for sucking at football, sure.
      but picking on them for failed/scrapped projects not so much. cos we're all on the same team when it comes to operations.

Comment

So no sharks with frickin laser beams then?
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have been following this story along with the railgun. Maybe we will get those flying cars yet.

I like the part about $1.00 to fire it, but $32,000,000.00 to make it. Not a very good ROI. However, when you add in the number of lives it could save...
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            Maybe we will get those flying cars yet.

I like the part about $1.00 to fire it, but $32,000,000.00 to make it. Not a very good ROI.
            lol. I want to see a LOT more ability from people driving in two dimensions before we branch out to three.

As for the ROI, a Tomahawk is about 600K, and even the railgun load is estimated at around 1k (payload and power), so making up 32M might not take that long. (I know, I know, different objectives.)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              lol. I want to see a LOT more ability from people driving in two dimensions before we branch out to three.
              Seriously. Last thing I want is three-dimensional gridlock.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
              X