This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora borealis visible tonight!

Lower Canada and the Northern U.S. may see the aurora tonight, thanks to a coronal ejection from the sun a couple days ago.

I've got a window of clear sky for a few hours tonight, but I don't hold out much hope, thanks to being in a major metropolitan area.

There's a map at the link, see if you're in a good area.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...tic-1/10107004
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
    coronal ejection
    sounds painful O-O

In all seriousness, despite me being in a "poor" zone, I'll be keeping an eye out. Thanks for the heads up! I've only ever seen the northern lights once before and even though it was a very brief, very weak display, it was still really pretty. I'd love to see them again.

Comment

Darn! I'm just outta range. And it would be in the good area too.

Comment

Supposed to be great for NJ. I didn't see anything when I went out around 9:30.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

One night they were so bright we could see them at the airport bright and clear. That part was cool, the pilots/tower getting distracted and almost crashing two 777s wasn't, nothing like seeing one juke off because there was another plane 20 feet away taking off where they were landing (opposite directions so they WOULD have crashed).

I miss seeing them driving home in the mornings from work when I lived in Alaska.

Comment

Cloud cover here. Color me annoyed.
            I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

We have a nice, thick cloud cover that isn't expected to go away in time. Damn. We're right in the range, too. One of the downsides to living here...perpetual cloud cover.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

ok chalk that up to another thing on the "stuff I miss from NY" list.

Family, seasons, snow, apples, Wegmans ... and now Northern Lights. Cos down here I think it's too far south. (Although there's plenty here that I do like though)

I remember we once had ... something... directly above my house. I'm not even sure it was the Northern Lights though. It was a central light that had streaks of beams going in a circular pattern, and it slowly rotated. The beams went to all horizons. Kinda like an * pattern. but with more spokes. And rotating.

I remember being fascinated, yet also afraid too. I've never seen anything like that ever since.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X