X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertilizer Plant Explosion

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/E...203505331.html

Earlier this evening, a fertilizer plant in West, Texas just outside of Waco, Texas exploded. So far they're saying between 60 and 70 people were killed and at least 100 people were injured. Please keep everyone involved in your thoughts and prayers.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

I just saw that. I feel like the world is going crazy, what with all the poisoned letters and Boston. I can't take any more bad news.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Good lord....praying for them, this is just...wow. How horrible.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Have been listening to the firefighting and evacuation efforts via Scanner Radio.

Video of the big fucking boom can be found here. And it is a big fucking boom.

60 to 70 dead? Holy shit.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

last i heard on the news was the number of casualties is unconfirmed and they don't want to provide misinformation; but nearby the plant were an apartment complex and a nursing home - so those numbers aren't outside the realm of possible; additionally there were 7 firefighters unaccounted for - but that could mean anything....
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

My wife and I heard what sounded like thunder last night around the time of the explosion. We think we heard it -- from about 50 miles away.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I have family in the area, thank goodness they're alright...

What a tragic week it's been...
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                My wife and I heard what sounded like thunder last night around the time of the explosion. We think we heard it -- from about 50 miles away.
                I'm not surprised.

According to Fox News an area of 4 blocks around the plant was described as being "totally decimated".

The blast actually registered on the U.S. Geological Survey at magnitude 2.1.

Comment

Just off the top of my head, I can think of several ways the plant would go up in smoke without it being deliberate, putting it squarely in the realm of Tragic instead of malicious.

The simplest explanation would be poor cleaning practices caused some of the fertilizer nitrates to marinate in diesel, or kerosene, or nearly any other type of fuel commonly used. Add a spark to detonate and, well... creates a nasty homegrown boom similar to the mining explosive ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate/Fuel Oil). Same stuff was used in the Oklahoma City Bombing back in '95.

Between that and all the dust in the air, and you have a combination of ANFO and a Dust-Air Initiation, which is normally potent enough to level buildings with foot-thick concrete walls.

It's still a horrible tragedy, and I hope that the reports of 15+ deaths are highballing their estimate so the real number's lower. I'm sending safe wishes to everyone in that area, forumgoers and not.
                  Last edited by Salted Grump; 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM. Reason: Number correction, and clarification on ANFO

Comment

To be honest, I only considered "malicious intent" for about 5 seconds when I first saw the headlines. Then I said "Oh, it's a fertilizer plant." Cos... the very nature of what they're processing can be dangerous.

Kinda like having an oil fire at a refinery. Extremely tragic, but not impossible for it to be completely unintentional.

Comment

Working...
                    X