This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own ringtones for Verizon phones

This may work with other companies phones, but this is how I make my own ringtones for my Verizon cell phone, instead of paying a ridiculous price to the phone companies.

First, some background, I have...
    1) a calling plan that includes "picture messaging"
    2) A camera phone that also does polyphonic ringtones, the Motorola V325

First, find a song, or sound effect, or whatever you want to be a ringtone, and make sure it's in MP3 format.

Now, for a ringtone, you want to edit it down to about 30-40 seconds. The reason for this is that the phone will not keep replaying your ringtone until you either pick it up or it goes to voice mail, so you want it long enough so you'll hear it. For a text message alert, I keep it under 5 seconds. Use any MP3 editing program to delete the protions of the MP3 file you don't need. I use Cool Edit 96.

Once you get it cut down to what you want, you need to drop the volume. On my phone, the standard ringtones are at 77db, I found my first attempts at ringtones were coming in at 100db, a little to loud and it causes distortion. I then use MP3 Gain to drop it down to 80db.

Once that is all done, fire up your email and email the resulting MP3 to your phone. For Verizon Wireless customers with Picture Messaging, it'll be your phone number followed by @vzwpix.com
    For example, a phone number of (123)456-7890 would be 1234567890@vzwpix.com

Once you send it, a minute or so later your phone will alert you to a new message. In that message will be your ringtone, converted from MP3 to the correct format for the phone. It will give you an option to save the file to your phone. Once you save it, go into the menu where the default ringtones are, and you'll find it there, mine show up at the bottom of the list. Select it as your default ringtone and you're good to go.

A lot of the newer Motorola phones also have a USB connector - if you get Motorola Phone Tools, you can edit your own ringers and upload them directly to the phone.

I make all my own ringtones for my Razr V3M (Sprint) and just upload them via USB. This is the same connector that the charger and headset connect to.

I believe the V325 has USB as well.

Comment

My LG vx8500 has a multi-media cable to sync up my phone and PC. That seems way too complicated just for a ringtone
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Or bluetooth.

I will check out Cool Edit. I've been looking for something to cut down my mp3s.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

i tried it with an lg and it didnt work
          i could save the mp3 to my phone but it didnt appear in my ringtones list

Comment

Quoth Ryu View Post
            i tried it with an lg and it didnt work
            i could save the mp3 to my phone but it didnt appear in my ringtones list
            Try looking in a sounds section, sometimes they save there.
            I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
            "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
              Or bluetooth.
              A lot of carriers cripple the bluetooth on their phones - I know mine won't let me do anything with bluetooth except use a headset.

I believe Verizon does the same. And in fact you may have to do a SEEM edit to the Verizon firmware before it'll allow you to transfer files to it.

Comment

That's a bit of craziness.

"Here's what's should be a fully functional device, but we're going to cripple it for you! Aren't you lucky??'

Cingular would get a kick in the pants if they did that to me.

Comment

it is in my sound section but it will not allow me to use it as a ringtone
                  i've tried everything i can think of it to get it to work as a ringtone
                  there were several sound files which came with the phone which i think are supposed to be ringtones but wont work as ringtones either, dunno if somethings wrong with the phone or what

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                    A lot of the newer Motorola phones also have a USB connector - if you get Motorola Phone Tools, you can edit your own ringers and upload them directly to the phone.

I make all my own ringtones for my Razr V3M (Sprint) and just upload them via USB. This is the same connector that the charger and headset connect to.

I believe the V325 has USB as well.
                    It does have USB, but Verizon disabled the ability of Phone Tools to upload ringtones. I found out after I'd bought Phone Tools and the cable. So I fiddled around and came up with this workaround instead.

Comment

I have a verizon phone and now that I work with phones it pisses me off to no end that I can't use half the features of my phone unless I pay Verizon

they cripple the bluetooth (which I knew about) but I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to even use a USB cable! Are you serious?! My phone doesn't play MP3s the song needs to be WMA format...I bought a micro SD chip for it hoping to get around the pay to download problem... hmm...I think my plan includes picture messaging... I guess I'll have to try that..but I'm not really THAT inspired... *sigh*
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

You have to pay them to unlock non-network related features?

:: will happily never go to verizon ::

Comment

I probably should have re-worded that...

you don't have to pay them to unlock certain things that I know of...I was just overreacting about not being able to use my bluetooth function. What I didn't realize is that apparently you also can't use a USB cable to get stuff off your computer...

In other words- If I want a nice ringtone, I've got to go download it and pay for it from verizon, or I have to send myself a message or have a friend send me a message thus paying the over the network messaging fee. bullshit, right?

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm still on my Dad's family plan and don't pay much for my service- I'd probably be switching to a company that won't screw me out of my phone's capabilities.
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                          X