This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta floods ... house breaks up against bridge

Well, I guess I'll just quit whining about the heat and humidity here in My Hometown, shall I?

Sadly, this is definitely not unusual right now out West.

And the irony is that the ad preceding the clip is from an insurance company ...
    Last edited by Pixilated; 06-23-2013, 11:33 PM.

holy cow. i'd hate to be the person who owned that house.

Comment

Yeah. That's about 12 hours away from me. Have 3 friends trapped and lost communication a few days ago. Pretty weak stuff Mother Nature.

This is why I litter

Comment

The truly surreal thing about this flood, to me, is the fact that every thing seems normal where I live (northern part of Calgary), and just minutes away there is all this destruction. I don't even know when I'll be returning to work, as the downtown core is still evacuated.

Comment

A friend took this pic of a 7-11 located in the town of High River. She said the irony was not lost on her.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Yeah it has been a VERY wet month here. I'm well out of the flood areas (Fort Mac is essentially a lake right now) but even in Central Alberta there's been a lot of rain.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm from Alberta. In fact, my whole family lives there, though I live in the Louisiana. This is just heartbreaking. For gods sakes, Alberta is land locked, this should not be possible.

Comment

Man Rescues His Cat

These pictures come from Buzzfeed.

This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Gotta Love My Mayor

These are a few of the reasons why I am proud to be a Canadian, an Albertan and a Calgarian:

1. We have Mayor who is all kinds of awesome:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/leanne-...ef=mostpopular

2. We have people who are willing to drop everything and help their neighbors:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06...tml?ref=topbar

3. We aren't going to let a little water stop us from holding the biggest event of the year - even if it is only two weeks away:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06...canada-alberta

P.S. Please excuse my linking abilities, they really are pathetic. I am much more a lurker than a poster.
                    P.P.S I love the story of Momo the cat and his owner Kevan.
                    Last edited by Lurkergirl; 06-27-2013, 05:06 AM. Reason: to add the love for Momo the cat

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                      I'm from Alberta. In fact, my whole family lives there, though I live in the Louisiana. This is just heartbreaking. For gods sakes, Alberta is land locked, this should not be possible.
                      It just goes to show just how much rain there was in the province. Heck, a few days ago My place was hit with roughly 2 1/4" of water and caused a flood. Spent a few hours cleaning it up and it was really small compared to other places.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Thanks for the links lurkergirl, very touching!

re; "landlocked." I am not a meteorologist, but there is plenty of moisture in the air up there, what with all the ice melting.

Comment

That picture with the kitty made me cry. Are things getting better there yet?

Comment

We're probably neighbours lurkergirl, northern part of cowtown myself. I ended up missing the worst of everything as I was in southern BC. Didn't think I was going to make it back though. Glad to hear my fellow calgarians on here are safe!

Comment

If you don't mind me asking Corabubbles, but what community are you in? I'm in Kincora, one sister is in Tuscany, another in Silver Springs and my parents are (were) in Hawkwood (they are moving out to Vancouver Island).

Just some pics that warm the heart, especially the ones where people are leaving cookies and Tim Horton's cards for the police. Although, I gotta say - Momo's owner is hawt!

And this one is not the greatest image quality but it is of Mayor Nenshi with three children who have set up a stand selling lemonade and cookies to raise funds for the Red Cross:

Comment

Working...
                              X