X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brits were asked to label a map of America.... :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/it...el-the-us-stat

This gave me the giggles this morning. I would do horribly if I had to label a foreign country...the US has much states.

All righty then, here's a map of the counties of England and Wales, with the names removed:

Comment

Honestly, I'm impressed by how many they got RIGHT all things considered. Or even almost right.

I'm Canadian, and I'd probably have a hard time getting as many right as some of those attempts. (And I'd probably do just as bad with a blank map of Europe)

Comment

Actually, most of those are pretty impressive for people who aren't US citizens. Now that I think about it, they're better than what a lot of US citizens could probably do.

I think I'd expect a well educated person to know about the US what I know about other countries: where they are on a world map, the general size of the country and the locations of the major cities. Beyond that, why would anybody know that much about a country not their own?
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I agree. And really, they did as well as a random sample of Americans would likely do.

As for that map, Chromatrix. Nope. I'd have nothing. As I said, I couldnt label it. I just enjoyed the creativity of some of the names the states were given or not given.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            All righty then, here's a map of the counties of England and Wales, with the names removed:
            Oh! Oh! Me! Me! I can do it!

How'd I do?

I never really got it. So are English counties like American states? Or are English counties like American state counties? Or does it not even matter?
            Last edited by bhskittykatt; 11-26-2013, 06:53 PM.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I would like to see anyone from the US to put the Canadian provinces in the correct order.
              "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
                I would like to see anyone from the US to put the Canadian provinces in the correct order.
                I can do that, but just because of the song.

"I hate Newfoundland 'cause they talk so weird
                And Prince Edward Island is too small.
                Nova Scotia's dumb 'cause it's the name of a bank.
                New Brunswick doesn't have a good mall.
                Quebec is revolting and it makes me mad.
                Ontario sucks. Ontario sucks.
                The population of Manitoba is 1.9 people per square kilometer. Isn't that stupid?
                Saskatchewan is boring and the people are old
                And as for the territories, they're too cold!
                And the only really good thing about the province of British Columbia is that they're right next to us!
                Because Alberta doesn't suck.
                But Calgary does."

That's the whole verse I sing whenever someone asks me if I know my provinces (and yes, I can find even them on a map, probably better than I can find my states.) Cookies if you know the song.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  I never really got it. So are English counties like American states? Or are English counties like American state counties? Or does it not even matter?
                  Probably closest to counties within a state, with a few shades of states being equivalent to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland within the United Kingdom as a whole.

Except that England is more like an overgrown District of Columbia, since while the other three countries have local governments of their own which are more-or-less subordinate to the overarching British Government, England is directly ruled by the British Government without a separate English Government.

Counties, meanwhile, are administrated locally, but the local councils don't have much (if any) lawmaking power. Several of the largest cities have their own counties for administrative convenience - chiefly Greater London, Greater Manchester and Merseyside. (See if you can find *those* on the map.)

ETA: Here's a key. I managed to sort out about a dozen of these from memory, then I found a map to help complete it.

Last edited by Chromatix; 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I love how in a few the Midwest is now dead. Or the fact that Detroit is it's own state now.

Comment

But Detroit has its own sports teams.That makes it a state doesn't it :P

And isn't that the old counties map?The new one has the local authorities in too,which has really confused everything. Avon and Humberside are gone,the East Riding of Yorkshire is in and little Rutland is back...
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I didn't look at the dates too closely, just checked that Lancashire is a lot smaller than it used to be, since that's the area of the country I know best.

That is, of course, another quirk - the county boundaries change sometimes, but people on the ground don't always care enough to even take notice.

Comment

Those were hilarious. There's a link to a map of Europe, too, that Americans were asked to label. Even funnier.

When I was in school we were expected to know all the European countries. Now, though, there are some that didn't exist when I was in school!
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

One of them confused Wisconsin for Ohio. Two respondents thought we were Michigan. Still another called us Idaho, and somebody else labeled us Wyoming.

Never knew my state was that forgettable.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                              Cookies if you know the song.
                              arrogant worms?

Comment

Working...
                              X