This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too cold for Californians?

I saw this the other day and just rolled my eyes. After dealing with sub zero temps, I swear this makes me embarrassed to be from California. As DaDairyDruid says, 'wuss!'

California can't handle the cold.

I challenge all those who are 'cold' to come visit those of us who've dealt with the freezing temps, snow and wind and tell me it's cold. Please.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

They can't handle the cold....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-56775111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	2030401

Comment

Back when I was doing the road warrior thing around Y2K, I spent at week during Jan. 1999 in LA. Now back in Chicago we had just been handed a blizzard 4 days before, and air temps around 0F.

As I was going through "security" (what it was at the time), the women doing the check (metal detector X-Ray machine) were commenting/complaining about how "cold" it was that day. Now the air temp that morning was around 70F.

I just looked at them and said "WELL I am going back to 0F with at least a foot of snow." They gave me the stink eye and I walked off to my gate.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

omg.....if it's between 50 and 70 degrees I'm comfortable to hot. I sure as hell wouldn't bundle up in that.

We had temps below freezing for quite a bit during the earlier part of winter/end of fall. It's backed off some now so it's 40 something...totally livable.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

That's nothing! We Torontonians were called a "laughingstock" by the rest of Canada for calling in the army to save us from the snow storm back in 1999!
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

What a bunch of pussies.

First world problems.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

You know, we just relocated back from there and it's true. I was born & raised on the east coast and every time the thermometer fell below 50 where we lived in CA, there were people outside in full on parkas and mittens with the hood up.

I still remember food shopping at Ralph's with my 8 year old DD at the time, and the temperature had dropped to 60 degrees. There was a woman who worked at the store that was actually inferring that I was guilty of child abuse because I didn't make DD wear a COAT.

I looked at her and said, Lady, I'm from NJ. When it's 60 degrees there, it's springtime and we wear SHORTS.

She backed off, but man I was pissed at that.

But it is true, that's how Californians see the "cold".
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
              --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

A couple years ago, the LA Times published an article calling Seattle "snow wimps" for daring to close services during our rare snowfall, so this vid just makes me smile . Who are the real wimps now, huh?
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I remember that, bhs!

I've lived in the Puget Sound area, often thought of as always having rain, (a misconception, actually), all of my 55+ years, and am still afraid that I'll melt in the rain!

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

Then they can come do MY job in a freezing cold backroom with little heat to speak of and it's 4 degrees F outside!

That's what I dealt with on Tuesday (it was 7 degrees when I left the house around 5:30 that morning and by the time my wine delivery came right after 7, the temp had fallen to 4.) Our high temp only reached 24 degrees!

One of our regular customers commented that she'd checked the weather and we were around 5 degrees colder than Anchorage, Alaska!

We see some cold snaps here, but it's been around 25 years since we've had any single digit lows. Usually it's down into the teens one or two nights but usually around in the 20's and 30's.

What a bunch of maroons . . . . as Bugs Bunny would say.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Bwahahahaha I'd like to see them deal with the -43° weather we had here last week!!!
                      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                        That's nothing! We Torontonians were called a "laughingstock" by the rest of Canada for calling in the army to save us from the snow storm back in 1999!
                        That's because Toronto in general is a collective of wimps, wusses, and whiners. (Compare to the quiet collective Shrug of the Ottawa area when we got 14 feet of snow in '07, and the only hard part was using a ladder to pile the shoveled snow between driveways)

Comment

I grew up in the DMV (that's the Washington DC Metropolitan Area) and have lived here most of my life. The coldest I've ever been was one weekend I went camping when I was in the Boy Scouts. It was December, and owing to the fact that Mom & Dad were both out of town and Grandma & Grandpa were looking after me, I happened to forget to pack my jacket, my gloves, and my hat before going off for that weekend.

It was pretty much below freezing all weekend. I had to borrow a hat from the Scoutmaster and a pair of gloves from a friend (which were about two sizes too small) and wear pretty much every stitch of clothing I had to keep warm. I was on kitchen duty that weekend, so I at least got to huddle around the stove for additional warmth. It was so cold that even though we had steaming hot water out to wash dishes, within minutes there were bits of ice floating in it. One morning, someone poured some milk with their breakfast, walked away for a minute or two to talk to someone, and came back to find the milk FROZEN SOLID.

After that, cold failed to faze me overmuch. I especially liked when I moved to Plano, TX for three years in middle school/high school, seeing how all the locals reacted to the weather. If the temperature dropped below 70 degrees, the long sleeves and long pants and jackets all came out. They'd see me rocking up to school in shorts and a t-shirt and go "Aren't you cold!?"

I was a wimp compared to one classmate, though. I don't know his name, but this one day I had to be picked up for a doctor's appointment after school, and a "blue norther" swooshed in, so the temperatures dropped below freezing after a warm morning and we actually had some flurries after classes let out. As I'm shivering outside, I see this guy leaned against the wall without a care in the world in short sleeves. When I asked him if he was cold, he shrugged and said, "I'm from Minnesota. This is nothing."
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            I was a wimp compared to one classmate, though. I don't know his name, but this one day I had to be picked up for a doctor's appointment after school, and a "blue norther" swooshed in, so the temperatures dropped below freezing after a warm morning and we actually had some flurries after classes let out. As I'm shivering outside, I see this guy leaned against the wall without a care in the world in short sleeves. When I asked him if he was cold, he shrugged and said, "I'm from Minnesota. This is nothing."

I guess it all boils down to what one is used to weather-wise. What's considered bone-chilling cold in one area is mild in another.

I have to admit, I got tickled at work the other day by one of my coworkers, who is originally from South Dakota. She was actually laughing about what the forecasters here called frigid cold.

We had a low of 4 degrees Tuesday with a high of around 24 . . . above F. It was in the minus teens back home according to her family.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My co-workers from the South have been mighty whiny the past week or so. I don't see what the fuss is all about. I was planning on wearing shorts Saturday (It was in the 50s) but the tournament I was in requires pants.
                              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                              X