This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting blogs?

I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet, but seriously? How can anyone be this dumb?

http://jezebel.com/bling-ring-tumblr...-by-1567744623

This has even been a topic in recent strips of Retail. I had a feeling that it wasn't something the artist/author made up...

Comment

That's how I found it. I think it's disgusting.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
        This has even been a topic in recent strips of Retail. I had a feeling that it wasn't something the artist/author made up...
        The material rarely is
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

As someone who's been on Tumblr for a couple of years now, the glorification of shoplifting is just one of the crazy things I've seen on there. I didn't know it was this big of a thing, though. The few posts I've seen floating around had more of either a 'you're sticking it to the man, so it's ok' or an 'it's ok as long as it's something you need' mentality.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Roseanne addressed this once, though I think she put it like "it's okay to cheat a big company that cheated you."

AKA that probably applies to every big box store ever.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
              either a 'you're sticking it to the man, so it's ok' or an 'it's ok as long as it's something you need' mentality.
              "Question: what if I see something that I wanna take and it belonged to someone else?"
              "You would be arrested."
              "But what if I want it more than the person who has it?"
              "It's still illegal. "
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I found the "I want it, I'm entitled to it, big companies have no right to have problems with theft of their goods" mindset sickening.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  I found the "I want it, I'm entitled to it, big companies have no right to have problems with theft of their goods" mindset sickening.
                  More so because it affects us front-line workers directly. If the company loses money because of shoplifters, what's the first thing cut? Worker hours. And naturally, they complain because nobody's keeping an eye on shoplifters. It's a vicious cycle.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                    Oh it isn't. I've seen blogs like that years ago. That's where I first learned of the aluminum foil bag trick, although I'd never be in a position to catch or stop it.
                    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-06-2015, 09:38 PM.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      Tell me about it. We see some rather brazen ones at work on occasion.

Baby Beavis busted one woman and her grown son just Monday night (he was closing MOD) who had a bunch of stuff on them (cat food and I can't recall what else) while they were browsingcasing the HBA aisle.

Turned out they've been suspected for awhile and Daria has suspected they were regularly hitting up her aisle (wonder if they were partially responsible for the periodic deodorant raids? Hmmm . . .)

But for every shoplifter that does get caught, we have several who steal and get away with it.

And Corporate wonders why the shrink is higher than it should be at our location?

Also, it's utterly amazing what people will brag about online and think they can get away with it. Cops watch the social media sites. How many news stories have we heard where the suspects are caught b/c they bragged on Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/et al?
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Literally the ONLY time I find it acceptable to steal something is if you absolutely have to have it to survive, and you have no money. Like a homeless person stealing food in a place that has no amenities for the homeless. Or stealing a jacket in the wintertime.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                          I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet, but seriously? How can anyone be this dumb?

http://jezebel.com/bling-ring-tumblr...-by-1567744623
                          How about the girl on a bus I was riding a few years back. She was loudly (and profanely) talking on her cell phone. I was in front, she was in back, and I could hear her way too well.

The driver finally told her to quit swearing. She was all "I wasn't saying anything bad."

I was fed up so I chimed up and pointed out the words she'd been using. I also pointed out that it was a really *dumb* thing to be talking in public about going to steal stuff from stores (because it was quite clear that was what she had been talking about).

She got off the bus at the same stop I did and was all in my face about how she hadn't been talking about that. She even punched me (very ineffectively) a couple of times.

I just pointed out that she'd just committed aggravated assault (what some places call "assault and battery) and that if there'd been a cop around, I could have had her arrested.

I also pointed out that it was a *really* stupid thing to go around hitting guys who were that much bigger than she was (I tend to look like a old biker)

Of course, she didn't learn a thing from it.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                            Of course, she didn't learn a thing from it.
                            Of course not, that would require her to have a functioning brain and the willingness to accept that she is not, as she previously believed, the Center Of The Universe. Anybody who boasts loudly about their illegal exploits where anyone and everyone can hear has neither.

Dumbass is probably serving time now, and honestly has no idea why.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post

I was fed up so I chimed up and pointed out the words she'd been using. I also pointed out that it was a really *dumb* thing to be talking in public about going to steal stuff from stores (because it was quite clear that was what she had been talking about).
                              Did you get names of specific stores?

I would've given their management/LP people a ring and a physical description. "Hey, I heard this person bragging about stealing stuff from your store and about how easy it was. Thought you'd like to know."
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X