X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Town destroyed...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070506/...severe_weather

Holy crap. That's all that can really be said. Sure, there's the whole kansas-tornadoes-Oz thing, but unlike the movies these things will blow you butt to kingdom come. Most tornadoes have really bad aim and drop over empty fields, and most of the ones that have better aim and hit a town usually go straight for the trailer parks (there just has to be a scientific reason for this). Personally, I've never been close to one. Haven't even ever seen one live with my own 2 eyes, or heard one (they say they sound like a train passing by), though I've spent my share of times when I was little cowering in the basement.

There's this little town of 1500 people in western Kansas called Greensburg (it's one of those towns I'd never heard of and I've lived here my whole life). Friday night, an F5 tornado (there's a scale to measure tornados, F5 is the biggest and baddest) struck the town. It was half a mile wide and stayed on the ground for 5 hours. The only thing in the town left standing with no damage was the grain elevator. We're talking total destruction. Then last night, another (smaller) tornado went through. 95% of the town has been devastated. Thankfully, only 9 have been found dead so far (but hundreds injured) but it's going to take a long time to pick through the remains of the town and find them all.

Here's an overview of what's left:

Wow. Just...wow.

"There's a certain spirit in the Midwest of our country, a pioneer spirit that still exists, and I'm confident this community will be rebuilt," Bush said.

I'm not really pro or anti Bush, but: for W.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Update: They verified that it was indeed an F5 tornado and that it actually reached 1.4 miles in diameter. That's just insane. They moved the damaged estimate to 90% instead of 95%. Yeah, like that's really much of a difference.

Comment

Jesus. Thank goodness we just have earthquakes and volcanoes up here....

Comment

Kara,

What part of Kansas do you live in? I live in Topeka.

Roommate and I spent part of that night in the basement, and part of Topeka flooded last night. I have the feeling it's gonna be a wild summer around here.

Morgana

Comment

That is a very heartbreaking picture. I just can't imagine what I would do if something like that happened to my beloved home town.
          I hope they rebuild and most people stay.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
            Kara,

What part of Kansas do you live in? I live in Topeka.

Morgana
            I'm down by Wichita. We didn't retreat to the basement because our sump pump kept running. And running. And running. It's bad enough listening to it when you're upstairs. I'm hoping I can get home after work tonight, because there are rivers on either side of my little suburb and they're talking about flooding.

Comment

I am both awed by and dreading tornado season this year. I have a basement now, so I guess that's good. At least there's some warning. Earthquakes have no warning.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I think the town can be re-built. If they can get New Orleans back to some semblance of what it used to be before Katrina, they can do just about everything.

FWIW, there was a similar tornado in Barneveld, Wisconsin that just about wiped the place off the map. That town has been completely rebuilt also, with a memorial to the people who died in it:
                http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/document/tor/060884.php
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"Hand of God."
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Every time I see a news story like this, I am extremely thankful to whatever deity or power ensured that I'd be born here where there are no regular natural disasters and we can live in safety.
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

They arrested four soldiers for looting when they were supposed to be looking for survivors. Also 2 guys who had Red Cross jackets on but weren't actually part of the relief effort. That's sad on so many levels.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                        Here's an overview of what's left:
                        Wow. The proverbial picture worth a thousand words.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the devastation. I too hope they will be able to rebuild and go back to their lives.

And may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotches of those looters!
                        Last edited by Ree; 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM. Reason: Removed image from quote
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                        X