X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely insane.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/

Cory Mashburn and Ryan Cornelison, both 13, face the prospect of 10 years in juvenile detention and a lifetime on the sex offender registry

Check the link to find out what a 7th grader has to do to face this kind of punishment.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Who to the what now???
    That's bloody ridiculous! They were swatting bottoms (and apparently everyone else was doing it as well), they weren't ripping their clothes off and pawing at their genitals! What the hell? THEY'RE IN SEVENTH GRADE!

Scuse me, I need to go to my nice padded corner
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

They need to go after every single major league (and minor league) baseball player now if they go though with this.

Stupid over-reacitng parents and no-balls school administration.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I think the charges are harsh, but they were clearly acting completely inappropriately. 13 years old is WELL above the age where you know better than to go around grabbing peoples butts and boobs. These kids obviously need some form of counseling if they think this behaviour is OK.

The scariest part of the artile though was this quote
        supervising attorney at the Juvenile Rights Project in Portland, a public defender's office for youths. "It's like criminalizing fairly typical behavior, and I don't think the schools inform or warn them."
        TYPICAL BEHAVIOUR?!?!? WTF!!! That just made my blood boil. It might be considered typical if the person they are touching is a girlfriend, but to just go down the hallway grabbing random girls butts is NOT typical, and if not addressed will lead these boys to think that it is OK.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
          I think the charges are harsh, but they were clearly acting completely inappropriately. 13 years old is WELL above the age where you know better than to go around grabbing peoples butts and boobs. These kids obviously need some form of counseling if they think this behaviour is OK.
          Where in the article does it say "grab"? The incident included "swatting" or "slapping", not groping or grabbing. And yes, I do think there is a difference. I agree that both are inappropriate behavior and both are unwanted physical contact; but IMO there is a difference between swatting and grabbing.

The school reacted with a 5-day suspension. That, I think, is an appropriate response. It definitely makes it clear that this kind of behavior isn't condoned.

These kids have already spent 5 days in jail! If that were all they faced, then I'd consider it "harsh". What they're facing now goes WAY beyond harsh.

They could end up on sexual offender lists for the rest of their lives. I suspect many of us have checked out our state's offender registry, wondering who lives nearby. How would you feel if you knew the registry included people convicted of slapping butts in seventh grade?

How does it benefit anyone to destroy these two kids' lives?
          Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

I did say that the charges were harsh, and I did not support the sex offender registry.

Suspension from school is not punishment, it's VACATION! Inappropriate contact regardless of whether you want to call it slapping or grabbing should not be taken lightly. It's clear from the article that the parent's don't see that their little snookums did anything wrong, so further punishment at home is unlikely.

Why should these boys be allowed to further torment and harass the girls who still go to that school and were upset and violated by these kids actions? Expel them, make them find another school district where if they are smart, they won't pull this crap again. I also don't think misdemeanor battery charges are out of hand for the girls who are willing to press charges.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Actually, in the article it mentions that two of the girls felt pressured by the interrogators and gave false statements. Who's to say that most of the other victims weren't pressured either? These are 7th graders. They're GOING to be intimidated by police regardless of whether they're the victim or the perpetrator.
              If the girls were upset, then yes, they should press charges or something. But if they were basically forced to say they were upset when they weren't, then there is something fundamentally wrong with the system.
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Right, that why I said for those who are willing to press charges. IIRC there were originally 14 girls who said they were upset by the actions. 2 of them have since recanted, but that still leaves 12 girls that had a problem with it. Actually going through with pressing charges and testifying is a pretty stressful experience in and of itself, and I don't know of many people who would be able to fake a story and propagate a lie through all of it consistently without being caught up in it at some point.

Comment

Jesus Christ, 10 years? A rapist at my old school only got 2. What is wrong with the world? I know plenty of people who joke around like this. The laws are getting ridiculous nowadays. I've heard of cases where kids have to sign the sex offender documents for playing doctor at the age of 7. I shit you not, if I find the case again, I'll post it.
                  It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
                  ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                  X