This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Magazine's 50 Worst Cars

Time has a site with descriptions of pictures of the 50 worst cars of all time. I give you two links that will satisfy both the conformists and the non-conformists --

For those who wish to start at the beginning: http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658545,00.html

For those who want to jump right to the complete list http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658545,00.html

Interesting article... I can think of only one notable omission (the Chevy Vega) and one probably-just-me omission (the Toyota Scion, the current "WTF is that?" vehicle.

The rest are all here... the Edsel, the Gremlin, the Pacer, the Bricklin SV1, the Pinto, the Delorean and... bow your head when you say this... the only vehicle Malcolm Bricklin could come up with to top the misery of the SV1.. The Yugo. (I go, you go, we all go in Hugo the Yugo.)
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Peel trident?

I thought that was something you did to a piece of gum before you started chewing it.

The thing looks like a pedal car.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Peel trident?

I thought that was something you did to a piece of gum before you started chewing it.

The thing looks like a pedal car.
      That's a skateboard with wheels and a seat.

Then you have the 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi Autogo . . . which basically was a motorcycle with training wheels.

Now THAT's a brain fart that got lodged and created an explosion.

At least my Mom got a laugh out of that one . . . and speaking of that, she made mention that she remembers seeing television ads for the Amphicar (that's the car that could go through water.) Everybody laughed at that idea even back then.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Holy moly, that 1958 Zunndapp Janus is the UGLIEST car I have ever seen! And the 1966 Peel Trident -- dang, what amusement park ride did that one escape from?!

Thanks for posting that article! Some of these cars leave you going, " were they thinking?!"
        Last edited by XCashier; 09-09-2007, 02:13 AM.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          And the 1966 Peel Trident -- dang, what amusement park ride did that one escape from?
          Didn't I see that one on The Jetsons cartoon show when I was growing up?

Either way, I think the question should be : what were they smoking?????
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
            That's a skateboard with wheels and a seat.
            You're not too far off. The frame is pretty much wood. The shell is veneer with a heavy coat of paint. And those wheels? Plastic.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Dang, the Trident looks like a crock pot with wheels.
              "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

I still want one....

Comment

Quoth Ringtail Z28 View Post
                  Dang, the Trident looks like a crock pot with wheels.
                  Now that's an interesting description . . . I could see WM selling those right now . . .

If they were to come out in red . . . I can see my Mom dragging one home and trying to cook a roast in it.

Comment

I resent the Chevette being on there. My parents both owned one, and those cars were freakin' zombies. Ugly as hell, performed like a brick shithouse and always smelled kinda weird, but they did that every day for 25 years.

Well, OK, maybe the fact that it could make small children cry is reason enough to be on there.
                    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                      Didn't I see that one on The Jetsons cartoon show when I was growing up?

Ha ha ha ha! I was just about to say the same thing! The theme song started going through my head.

Comment

Quoth Acolyte View Post
                        I resent the Chevette being on there. My parents both owned one, and those cars were freakin' zombies. Ugly as hell, performed like a brick shithouse and always smelled kinda weird, but they did that every day for 25 years.

Well, OK, maybe the fact that it could make small children cry is reason enough to be on there.
                        I learned top drive in an '83 chevette and hated every minute of driving that thing. It was ugly, smelled bad and looked like it could be flipped over by a class of kindergarteners.

I do have to agree about the toughness, though. My dad drove the shit out of it.

I would like to nominate the Dodge Dart. I don't remember what year it was, but my dad had a canary yellow 4-door sedan. He bought it to drive back and forth to his carpool meeting place, and that was the only place it ever got driven. He planned to fix it up, but that never happened. The worst part was that it came on the heels of the chevette.

Comment

I'm insulted that they would put the Delorean DMC-12 on the list.

That car is icon of the 1980's. It's how we all remember a *certain series of movies.* And if not for a coke snorting owner, imagine how the company would be doing today.

If I had the money, I would buy one right now!

Olive juice you too.

Comment

Quoth sportsmom View Post
                            I would like to nominate the Dodge Dart. I don't remember what year it was, but my dad had a canary yellow 4-door sedan. He bought it to drive back and forth to his carpool meeting place, and that was the only place it ever got driven. He planned to fix it up, but that never happened. The worst part was that it came on the heels of the chevette.
                            Aw...I had a Dodge Dart. The 1962 four-door model, it was my first car. I rather liked it, even though it drove like a Sherman Tank.

Did your car look like any of these: http://www.foundationpc.com/earlier.html
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                              T
                              Interesting article... I can think of only one notable omission (the Chevy Vega) and one probably-just-me omission (the Toyota Scion, the current "WTF is that?" vehicle.
                              Which Scion? There are several models. I personally thing the xA is kinda cute, but I will agree that the xB is a shoebox on wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X