This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbledore has been outed

Yes, Potter fans. The rumors are true. Albus Dumbledore is gay. J.K. Rowling outed the headmaster at a book tour here in the US.

Story here

So now that I have finished the series (finally!), does that change anything for me?
    How I feel about the series? (I was disappointed with the last book, but that's another thread)

No. I had my suspicions, and they are now confirmed.

But just think of how those parent groups and the religious groups are going to act now.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

So, now she's introducing kids to books containing gay wizards.

Oh, the religious right's gonna have a field day with this one.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Um, who cares? Does that make Snape killing him a hate crime?

Seriously, why does Dumbledore even have to have an 'official' sexual orientation? It has no bearing on the book, so why does it matter to anyone?

Note: I am all for gay people. I am writing a book and the main character is gay. so I have nothing against it, but this seems like an attention grab.
      Last edited by AnaKhouri; 10-20-2007, 04:10 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I'll go with the "who cares" thought. It doesn't really add anything to the storyline now.

Wasn't the actor who originally played Dumbledor (before he died) gay? Or was that Gandalf (LOTR)?
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

The actor playing Gandalf (Ian Mclellan (or however his surname is pronounced) is definitely gay. I seem to remember one of the obituaries about the guy who died mentioning a wife. No idea if that was just a false memory, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

Richard Harris was married and said he made the films at the insistence of his granddaughter
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

yeah Sir Richard Harris was from all I've read/seen married quite happily and had a very lovely wife.

As for Dumbledore. Eh so what? There was hints his brother was into beastiality too so apparently his family was a bit into kink. Yippieeeeee...So what. Big deal.

As for the nutjobs. *shrug* Like they needed extra reason to hate anythign or anyone that doesnt follow them blindly.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Does that make Snape killing him a hate crime?
                You have no idea how much that made me giggle internally.

That aside, I think it's important to look at all aspects of a character to really develop them as people. It might have been an odd decision to make him gay, but it certainly makes his 'scenes' more interesting.

Comment

Dumbledore has been outed

My dad just told me about this, so I had to look it up. So for all the anti-Potter folks who think the series promotes witchcraft and other horrible values, here's one more thing to get your knickers in a twist about...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Duplicate thread

This has already been posted in the off topic boards.
                    Linky

Edit: I am not a mod! Just posting to keep threads clean.
                    I for one salute this parkade ninja of yours. ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Honestly, I never even thought about it.

My dad told me this morning, he saw it on CNN.com. I posted that link in Check it Out little while ago. So if Raps or NA or whoever sees fit to combine the threads or delete one, go for it (I just sent Raps a PM.)
                      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 10-20-2007, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth TrainedChimp View Post
                        This has already been posted in the off topic boards.
                        Linky

Edit: I am not a mod! Just posting to keep threads clean.
                        I just saw it a few minutes ago. Hadn't been over there when I posted this. Oh well, if they want to combine them, or delete one, they will

Comment

This actually makes a lot of sense. After all, when Dumbledore was young he was so taken with Grindelwald that he ignored his family and then when it was over, they wanted to destroy each other. How many young people(of any sexual orientation) become completely obsessed with the object of their affections, and when the love is over it turns to hate?

I think the more back story I know about the characters; the richer, more complex and more enjoyable the HP stories become.

Comment

So that's why they call him the head master
                            >++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<+.>>>++++[<++++++++>-]<.<++++++[<++++++>-]<+.>+++[<--->-]<..-.>>.<<---.>>.<+++[<+++>-]<++.---.---.-.>+++++[<----------->-]<.

Comment

After reading the article, it actually makes sense. Like justZu said, Dumbledore and Grindelwald did seem to have a thing going. I didn't think about it while reading the books, but it does make a lot of sense.

On the note of whether this changes the fact that enjoyed the series and will probably read it over and over, and, eventually, read it to my child/ren when they are old enough? No it doesn't. I thought it was a very imaginitive, and well written series. I must admit that having more background about the characters, though, is nice

Comment

Working...
                              X